Dish

Just You and Me

Ryeowook hums to himself as he washes the dishes and pushes them through the dishwasher. He knows he should just rinse them but scrubbing the not so dirty plates before blasting them with disinfectant soap in boiling hot water seems like a better way of getting rid of his frustration. If he had the job he was meant to he wouldn’t be frustrated. He wouldn’t be mad at his boss for lying to his face the day he applied. He wouldn’t be mad at anyone or anything. In fact, he would be quite content to work longer than his shift. He would be quite happy to take someone else’s shift. But that wasn’t going to happen because he didn’t even want to be here on his own shift.

Three months ago Ryeowook had applied at the dingy restaurant in the middle of Seoul, hoping to help out in the kitchen – as that is what the job ad had said was what he would be doing. He had his own knife set, and the suit already because of school – he was training to be a chief. But the next day, after the interview was over and after he had returned home to tell his roommates the great news of him finally finding a job, he rocked up for work, ready to get changed into his uniform to be surprised with a large apron and a pair of pink rubber gloves.

He was really helping out in the kitchen by washing dishes. A fact that his new boss had forgot to mention. And he knew that he couldn’t quit because it was the first place to hire him in months. And it was close to his share house… And his school… So he couldn’t really complain if he had to wash dishes for seven hours every weekend and between three to five hours during the week. He couldn’t really complain when his wage was better than Kyuhyun’s. And he worked at a fancy place in the centre of Seoul.

Today being a Wednesday, Ryeowook knew that his shift was only going to be the shorter three hours – he had to go to school at one in order finish his class. He was already more than half way through his shift. He barely had forty-five minutes left till he could remove the stupid pink gloves that came up to his elbows and take off the dirty apron that was too long for him.

“Young Mister Kim!” his boss says from the front of the restaurant. He is a loud man, no matter what you can hear him from inside the kitchen, even if he is on the second floor of the restaurant.

Ryeowook wished that he could be the Mister Kim that his boss was calling to and he knew that one day he would. He knew that with his skills he could go anywhere in the world and open a restaurant that will become one of the top five in the world. He just had to finish school and get the money to fly away from Seoul.

“You came all this way just for a tour?”

The reply is silent and Ryeowook couldn’t care less, he only wants to get out of here. He wants to go to school and make a strawberry cheese cake – because he promised Hyukjae that the next time they made cake that it would be a strawberry sort of cake. Hyukjae was always after strawberries and Ryeowook couldn’t understand the elders obsession with them.

“Here is the kitchen, as you can see everyone is busy preparing lunches right now.”

There are a few muttered hellos, but Ryeowook doesn’t notice, he is too busy thinking of how to decorate the cheesecake, if he is going to use whole strawberries or if he is going to make a strawberry sauce to go throughout the cheesecake…

“Here is our dish, it’s not exactly new…” his boss keeps talking and a dark haired boy nods.

Still Ryeowook doesn’t listen. Instead he continues washing dishes, he turns to collect the freshly cleaned plates and nearly runs into the dark haired boy.

The boy is taller than Ryeowook, not by much, but still it’s noticeable. He has black fluffy hair, that sweeps across his forehead. The boy is quite handsome and as soon as Ryeowook looks up he can feel himself blushing.

“Hello.” The boy says, his voice is like a rich chocolate and Ryeowook wishes to hear more of it. But he knows that like all rich things, you can only enjoy it a little at a time.

“Hello.” Ryeowook replies, he is unsure of who this person is, and what he is doing in the kitchen wearing a dark business suit, considering that even the boss doesn’t wear such attire.

“I’m Kim Jongwoon. My parents own the resturant.” He says, understanding the look of confusion Ryeowook has in his eyes.

“Oh… I…I’m Kim Ryeowook… I work on the dish…” He stutters, bowing deeply.

Normally Ryeowook would talk like there is no tomorrow, introduce himself without a problem. But there are times when he becomes incredibly shy. Like when he is hanging out with Sungmin at a party where Sungmin feels the need to introduce his younger friend to everyone there. He starts off nervous and shy around new people too. Or when faced with some drop dead gorgeous men…

Jongwoon laughs to himself as Ryeowook keeps his head bowed. “It’s fine that you didn’t know who I was.”

Jongwoon lifts Ryeowook’s chin, placing his thumb slightly too high and resting it on Ryeowook’s philtrum.

“I hope to see you around Ryeowook.” He said with a smile before leaving with the boss.

Jongwoon’s smile is beautiful, shy yet displaying real happiness.

Ryeowook can’t help but smile himself.