Work is Work

Just You and Me

Shindong had noticed that over the past few shifts, Ryeowook had become much more cheerful. Not that he wasn’t already cheerful, especially when he was constantly dancing around the kitchen and serving dishes with the most beautiful smile. No, now he was doing all that and humming to himself while cooking, which is always a sign of a happy cook. The song was one that Shindong knew from his childhood but still he couldn’t pin point where he had heard the slightly eerie tune before.

Today, alike most Tuesdays, Ryeowook was finishing early in order to go to his classes. However, unlike every other Tuesday when Ryeowook said goodbye to the staff, Shindong found the younger moving towards Jongwoon’s office.

“He isn’t in today.” He says to the younger as he attempts to peer in through the slightly adjacent door.

Instantly Shindong notes the drop in Ryeowook’s cheerfulness. His shoulders fall slightly and he hangs his head. But before Shindong can even consider attempting to cheer him up Ryeowook turns around with a bright smile.

“That’s okay hyung. I shall see him next time then.” He bows politely and then leaves the kitchen.

“Jongwoon, you lucky guy.” Shindong chuckles to himself as he returns to dice up the carrots.

 

When he reaches the street outside Ryeowook feels his chest tightening. It’s not that he hadn’t seen Jongwoon since he said that he wanted to date him, but it wasn’t like they had really spoken about anything either. He had only worked at the restaurant twice since that day a week ago and in those two shifts he was making lots of calls and had his door shut tight not wanting to see anyone.

He knew what he was feeling and he didn’t like it.

He had never liked rejection.

Just as he was pulling out his phone a message comes through.

MinBunny: I have to stay back for work today, Kyu might come get you. Wait for his message. x

Ryeowook sighs; nothing seems to be wanting to go right for him, no matter how cheerfully he looks at it. His crush is either avoiding him or just honestly busy with his company. His best friend is sending his boyfriend to come get him instead of letting him be the adult he is.

Wookie: Thanks Minnie. X

As he presses send a car comes to a stop in front of him and as the window winds down, Ryeowook can’t help but attempt to look around for a safe escape route. He turns his head left and right hoping that someone will save him from whatever it is that this stranger will want.

Wook has never done well talking with complete strangers.

“Hey,” a male pokes his head out from the window, Ryeowook notes that he has sturdy features, a long-ish face with a strong jaw line and those eyebrows… “Could you please tell me if a guy named Kim Jongwoon works here on occasion?”

Ryeowook just nods and the car’s engine gets completely shut off. The man steps out of the car and Ryeowook feels incredibly intimidated. The man is taller than he is – not that many people struggle in being taller than Ryeowook but none the less he is rather tall, it may or may not have something to do with the tailored suit he is wearing. His hair is cut short and yet it’s stylish in its natural almost black state. As the man reaches Ryeowook he scratches head as he takes him in.

Standing with his shoulders hunched, arms holding his body in a protective way with his head down, Ryeowook looks nothing more than afraid for his safety.

“Hi, sorry for startling you. I know, I am really intimidating aren’t I?”

Again Wookie nods.

The obviously older guy sighs, “I’m sorry, God was the one that made me this handsome, this fearsome and this amazing.”

Ryeowook is a little taken aback but doesn’t say anything, instead looks at his phone in hope that Kyuhyun will send him a message soon.

“Aish, I did it again.” The man bows, “I apologise. My name is Choi Siwon, my friends call me Sisus for no real reason. I am looking for Kim Jongwoon because our fathers are attempting to do business and we need to discuss some things on a more civil manner than they will.”

Ryeowook smiles shyly, bowing as well, “I am Kim Ryeowook, it is nice to meet you. Jongwoon is my employer but he isn’t here today. I apologise.”

Siwon sighs, “I see…” pulling some sunglasses from jacket pocket he puts them on. “I wonder where that man could be…” he starts walking towards his car again, opening his door he turns back to Ryeowook, “If you are working tomorrow Ryeowook I shall see you then, I will be here every day until I find Jongwoon. Ciao~!”

With that he climbs into his car, starts the engine and zooms off.

Once again Ryeowook can feel his chest tighten again, this time with a new feeling.

Jealousy.

 

Jongwoon was going to pick Ryeowook up at exactly two, just like Kyuhyun said, but he knew that the younger finished work at one thirty. So he left at one, thinking that it would take him forever to get to the restaurant. He knew the route by heart, and knew for a fact that it was only fifteen minutes away if he went a certain way.

However, as things would have it, a certain potential business partner was after him. And so, Jongwoon ended up taking a different route in order to avoid the younger man. It wasn’t that the two didn’t get along, because they did, rather well in fact. Much better than their fathers in any case. It was just that Jongwoon knew that if he saw Choi Siwon today, the day that he was planning to pick up Ryeowook, he wouldn’t even get a chance to see his cutie.

Siwon was a chatter box. He liked talking about everything with Jongwoon, it was like Jongwoon was talking to his turtles, Jongwoon would talk, and the turtles would listen. Only in this case, Jongwoon was the turtles. That was how Siwon was, he liked input, but he liked his own voice more.

Kyuhyun had rushed in stating that Siwon was looking for him and the next thing Jongwoon knew was that he was suddenly in his car. Driving through the busy streets of Seoul ignoring his GPS telling him to turn around where possible, or stating that it was rerouting. After fifteen minutes he turned it off. And then he was lost. From where he was, parked on the side of the road, he knew that he would never be able to get to Ryeowook by one thirty, it being one twenty five already.

Sighing Jongwoon tapped away at his phone, attempting to his location. His GPS just telling him that he was to turn left at the next intersection, the one that was supposed to be 100 meters away. As he taps away, his phone buzzes with an incoming message.

Minnie_is_myne: Wook knows you’re coming, don’t be late and mess this up

Jongwoon groans. He already has messed this up trying to avoid the main roads where Siwon could possibly, out of the hundreds of cars on the streets, spot his. He hangs his head and is about to give up completely when a beep comes from his car.

“GPS rerouting to Seoul, Forelsket.” There is a pause in the robotic woman’s voice. “Turn around where possible. Then take the first left. Estimated travel time ten minutes.”

Without even meaning to Jongwoon jumps up and shouts with joy.

“Yes! Ryeowook! I am on my way!”