Drive Home

Just You and Me

Sungmin came to pick Ryeowook up from school late in the evening. He knew that Ryeowook would want to complain about work so he bought the household shopping list and the little change they had to buy everything with.

He waited in the car park with his headlights off, counting the money he had in a jar in the dim light from the street lamp. He would look up occasionally when he saw a movement, he hoped that it would be the young brunette. But each time he would be disappointed, finding a couple of girls or something chatting and carrying a box.

The passenger door opened and Ryeowook placed a similar white cake box down on the seat, without saying a word, Sungmin picked it up and had a look inside. He wasn’t surprised to find the strawberry cheesecake, knowing fully well of Hyukjae’s wishes, and how happy Ryeowook was to comply to them.

“You’re too good to us…” Sungmin says as Ryeowook sits down in the car, taking the cake box back after he put on his seat belt.

Ryeowook simply hums, holding the cheesecake tight in his arms.

“Do you want to go shopping today?” Sungmin asks, Ryeowook nods.

“I had a strange encounter today…” Ryeowook mutters.

“Yes…? What was it?”

Ryeowook wished to tell Sungmin every detail, from the way Jongwoon had said hello to the last little smile he had on his face. But no matter how much he thought of the words, thought of a way to describe Jongwoon to Sungmin, he couldn’t tell find a way to let Sungmin know that this guy, this amazing creature which he had encountered for less than five minutes, felt like a lost love.

“Well… At work…”

Sungmin stops at a red light, looking at Ryeowook, slightly worried that he would start raging about the fact that his boss had lied to him and that he was going to – one day – ruin his boss’s business because of the mistake he had made by making Ryeowook a dish pig.

Sungmin was used to the frustration the other had, everyone in the house had thought that the job was as an apprentice for the kitchen. Donghae was the one who had gotten the maddest, he was going on about how it was unfair to lure in unsuspecting cute boys.

“There was this guy…”

“A guy?” Sungmin asks, pulling into the shopping complex.

Ryeowook nods, unsure of how to continue his already broken story.

“A guy…What did the guy do? Did he annoy you? Piss you off?”

“N…No! Nothing like that… He… No… He was….”

“He was nice?”

“More than…”

Sungmin looks at his younger friend. His cheeks are flaring red and he is fidgeting with the cake box, watching the way the corner of the cardboard folds back and forth with ease after some time.

“You think he was sweet? Adroable?”

Ryeowook doesn’t look up, just nods, still staring blankly at the white crease in the cardboard.

“Ryeowook… You need to talk to me. How did you feel when he looked at you? What did he say? Give me details! Why was he there? You have to tell me ‘cause I’m older.” Sungmin thought his reason was justifiable, if Hyukjae could use it against everyone and anyone in the house, Sungmin could use it against the boy who was silently battling feelings after a single encounter.

Ryeowook sighed. “I…”

Sungmin took the cake box, putting it in the back. He took Ryeowook’s hands in his. “You know how I felt the first time I saw Kyuhyun?”

Ryeowook shakes his head. He didn’t, one minute Sungmin was single, the next he had a boyfriend that was moving into the house paying rent and ordering his elders around.

“When I first saw Kyuhyun I felt nervous. I was shy, I couldn’t understand how I could have encountered such a jerk!”

Ryeowook laughs, he knows how much Kyu means to Minnie, even though he is a jerk to him half the time.

“But the thing is, after our chance meeting I couldn’t get him out of my head, I tried to find him at that coffee shop again, in hope to feel the butterflies and see that sadistic smirk he always has on his face. I didn’t realise that he did the same until we ran into each other trying to get in and out of the shop. I ended up having coffee spilt all over my favourite pink shirt!”

So that’s what happened to the tank top…

“He didn’t even apologise properly! He just gave me his number and said to meet him at some fancy diner in the heart of Gangnam…”

Ryeowook doesn’t completely understand why Sungmin is going on about how encountered and fell in love with Cho Kyuhyun, but nods none the less.

“I… I have no idea where I am going with this, but I did have a plan originally…”

Ryeowook sighs at the older’s forgetfulness. When it came to Sungmin no one could distract him better than Cho Kyuhyun.

“Basically, I just want you to know that if you feel like you want to see him again, or need to see him again, then you probably have formed a crush on him.”

“I can’t have a crush on him Sungmin…” he mutters, “He is my boss’s boss…”