Seven

Embracing You

Jinyoung couldn’t believe his eyes…the thing he dreaded the most is appearing right in front of him.

*Namjoon…* he couldn’t forget the face. His former client is right in front of him.

            “Jinyoung ah…scoot over here…” Jia’s voice startled him. He stepped backward to the far end of the small space away from Namjoon.

*Maybe he didn’t recognise me…*

Namjoon at the other end just stood at the front and occasionally glanced over his shoulder looking at a cute guy who helped him just now. The face looked familiar but he can’t seem to remember where he had seen it before or when.

            “He’s hot…” Jia whispered.

            “Huh? Who?”

            “That guy who just walked in…damn!” she eyed him from top to bottom.

Jinyoung couldn’t hide his relief when Namjoon stepped out when the elevator stop at 10th floor.

            “PR department…nice…” Jia smiled.

*This can’t be good…* Jinyoung prayed that he wouldn’t cross path with Namjoon anytime soon.

Lunch time…

            “Jinyoung ah…you ok?” Jia asked when she saw that Jinyoung fell into a quiet state and Jinyoung wasn’t the quiet one between them.

            “I’m…I’m fine…just had something crossing my mind…” bitter smiles curled up on his face. He kept thinking about Namjoon and how it would be if they actually met up. He hoped that day will never come.

Meanwhile…in a private dining room of a restaurant…

            “Nice to meet you Mr. Choo. I hope that you will guide me through this as I was pretty new in this field…” Mark bowed to the older man in front of him.

            “Of course, of course…” the man laughed a little. “Ray sure raised a capable son doesn’t he?” he looked at Namyong. “I’m glad he decided to join the company…Ray talked about his son a lot and he truly proud of you…”

            “He sure did…” Namyong patted Mark’s back.

            “So, when the inauguration will be held?” Mr. Choo asked.

            “This coming weekend…it’s time to let the company knew about the upcoming heir to the company.”

            “Great…I have to clear my schedule by then…wouldn’t miss it for anything…”

Mark is getting comfortable working at the company. Most of the board members welcomed him and apparently they were his father’s good friends.

            “So, it’s not so bad right?’ Namyong asked his nephew as they were on their way back to the company.

            “I guess…Mr. Choo is nice…I thought he would be some snobby old man that only cares about his golf set and precious wine collection…” he smiled.

            “Your father wanted this company to feel like one big family…so he carefully decided who could be the board members and someone who actually cares about his employees as much as he did…”

Mark was proud of his father. He was a great man, great father and a great husband to his late mother. He died from cancer just after Mark graduated from university and after his passing; Mark had to step in for the family’s name and run the company with the help of his uncle.

The car stopped at the traffic light. As he was staring outside the window, Mark saw someone walking by the road side looking awfully similar to Jinyoung…slender body, the facial features…everything.

            “Jinyoung ah…” he rolled the window down but the car suddenly speed away. “Driver wait…”

            “What is it Yi-En ah?”

            “Stop the car please…”

The driver stopped the car by the sidewalk. Mark quickly got out and scanned through the many people walking down the street looking for Jinyoung.

            “Yi-En ah…what is it?” Namyong came rushing towards his nephew.

            “I thought I saw someone I know…”

Mark looked around but he failed.

*I swear I saw Jinyoung just now…*

***********************************************

            “Hurry up Jinyoung ah…we don’t want to be late…” Jia smoothed the creased of her red, knee length dress.

            “Coming, coming…” Jinyoung walked out from the cab after paying the driver.

They arrived at a huge hotel in downtown for company event and Jinyoung had opposed the idea of going, because one; he hated being around social gathering and two; he’s afraid if he would bumped into Namjoon again.

            “Aren’t you excited?” Jia linked her arm with Jinyoung’s. “Maybe there will be cute guys tonight…”

            “Maybe…”

            “Hey, cheer up a little...you might never know what might be installed for us…”

They walked into the lobby together. The main ballroom hall had already filled with people and everyone is mingling around.

            “Here…” Jinyoung handed Jia a drink.

            “Thanks…”

            “What is this gathering is all about?” Jinyoung asked.

            “Well…they say about introducing the next company heir. Apparently, the last president wants his son to be the head of the company.”

            “Last president? Did he die?”

            “Yeah…Mr. Tuan died of cancer just a week before you came in and his younger brother took over…and the word goes that now his son will be next successor to him.”

            “What about the current Mr. Tuan?”

            “He’s the proxy until the next president is fully ready to take over…I heard that the young master is quite a looker…” she winked.

            “And how did you know?”

            “I caught a few glimpses of him when I accompany Ms. Bae to the main floor.”

At the other side of the ballroom hall…

            “Are you ready Yi-En ah?” Namyong put his arm on Mark’s shoulders.

            “Yes samchun…” Mark nodded.

            “That’s what I want to hear…now let’s go out and have fun.”

They both walked around and talked to different people.

            “And this is Seo Namjoon, the new chief of our PR department…”

Mark looked at the guy in front of him. He instantly recognise the man. The night when he rescued Jinyoung from this man flashed in his mind.

            “Hi…Seo Namjoon…”

            “Hi…” Mark shook his hands.

            “Have we met before? I think I saw you somewhere…”

            “I’m sure it’s someone who looked just like me…” Mark faked a smile.

            “Maybe…”

            “Sajangnim…we’re ready…” a guy in suit said as he approached Namyong.

            “Okay…Yi-En ah…it’s time…”

            “Excuse me…” Mark bowed and walked away with his uncle.

*When did I meet him before?* Namjoon asked himself.

            “The food is great…” Jinyoung said as he finished the last sweet pastry in his plate.

            “Yup…one thing about this company that I loved the most that they never had bad food for gatherings ever…” Jia munched on her own bite sized canapés.

Then…

            “Attention everyone…our sajangnim, had a few word to say…”

Wave of applause and cheers echoed in the hall.

            “Good evening everybody…thank you for coming…have you been enjoying your time tonight?” Namyong begin.

The employees answered with a smile.

            “Good, good…most of you know the reason why we’ve gathered here right? Our late president had one wish and that one wish is about to come true…his son had decided to join our little family and be a part of our wonderful environment…”

Mark marched up the elevated stage towards the podium where his uncle stood. He took a deep breath and bowed.

            “Let me introduce, Mark Tuan…”

Camera flashes went on like lightning at the sight of Mark on the stage, temporarily blinding the guy.

            “Annyeong hasaeyo…” Mark said and bowed again.

Jinyoung almost dropped the glass in his hand. Mark was right in front of him. His knees went weak and he almost fell is Jia hadn’t caught him in time.

            “Jinyoung ah, are you ok?” Jia sounded worried.

            “I’m…I’m…I’m good…just a little dizzy…” he said steadying himself, grabbing the side of the table.

            “Are you allergic of something here?”

            “Maybe…”

Attentions were right on Mark…it felt overwhelming but this is something he needed to do.

            “I hope we could get along together…my father always said to me to cherish employees and think of them as a part of family and I’m never been more agree with that…”

As he speak, his eyes wondered to the crowd of people and when his eyes met someone at the far back, the words stopped coming out from his mouth.

*Jinyoung ah…*

Jinyoung felt like the time had stopped when his gaze met Mark’s eyes. It seems like everything around them had disappeared into thin air.

            “Jia…I think I’m gonna go home…I don’t feel too good…” Jinyoung quickly looked the other way.

            “Should I come with you?”

            “It’s ok…I’ll just grab cab…”

Mark left the podium when he saw Jinyoung walking away towards the exit door.

            “Yi-En ah…what are you doing?” Namyong’s eyes shot wide open when Mark suddenly ran down the stage.

But Mark didn’t hear anything as his attention is fixed on someone far more important right now. He chased after Jinyoung but lost him again when he reached the lobby.

*Damn it!* he kicked the air furiously.

Jinyoung leaned against the wall and relieved when he saw mark walking back into the ballroom hall.

*I can’t be working here…*

As he about to walk away, he accidentally hit a guy.

            “Sorry…” he said.

            “It’s okay…”

Jinyoung looked up and it was Namjoon.

*Oh …not him again…*

            “Hey, I think I know you…” Namjoon eyeing Jinyoung from head to toe. Something clicked at the back of his head.

            “You’ve got the wrong person…”

A firm grip landed on his wrist when Jinyoung is about to leave.

            “Junior ssi?”

The name almost cut his breath short. Jinyoung never expected to be called that again.

*I seriously need to find another job now…*

 

Another update less in 24hours...I was on a roll with this story...reading your comments definitely helped me a lot...