Six

Embracing You

            “Hyung, hurry up…you’re gonna be late for work…” Youngjae yelled from the kitchen. He looked at the clock on the wall and shook his head. “Hyung…”

            “Alright, alright I’m coming…” Jinyoung emerged from his room, fixing his buttoned up shirt. “Jeez…it feels like I’m having human alarm clock…”

            “You’re late…” Youngjae said, fixing their breakfast. “My specialty, cereal and milk…”

            “Yay…” Jinyoung rolled his eyes. “How was school? I hope it’s not hard for you to adjust to your new place.”

            “It’s great here hyung…I love it…”

            “Good…”

It’s been almost six month since Jinyoung moved to Busan from Seoul. The seaside city had its own charm and Jinyoung was glad that he made the decision to move here. The people are friendly and he doesn’t have to worry about anyone finding out his past life.

            “Still thinking about that guy you left in Seoul?” Youngjae stared at him.

            “Finish your cereal…you have school to go…” Jinyoung got up and placed his empty bowl in the sink.

Truth to be told there’s no single day passed that Jinyoung didn’t think about Mark. The guy was impossible for him to forget, no matter how hard he tried.

********************

            “Good morning gorgeous…” Jia said as she saw Jinyoung walking into the office.

            “Morning…and I’m not gorgeous…” Jinyoung answered with a smile. “So, how was your blind date last night?” he asked taking his seat at his desk next to Jia.

            “Urghh…don’t remind me…” Jia rolled her eyes.

            “Why? Is he that bad?”

            “He was an hour late, and when he finally arrived he smelled like he just a dive inside the ashtray…he was reek with cigarette smoke…almost make me puke my gut out…” Jia shook her head. “Remind me not to go on blind dates ever again…”

            “Will do…”

            “Sometimes I wish that you’re straight so that I could just date you instead…” she looked at Jinyoung.

            “If I’m straight, you’re definitely on my list…”

Jinyoung was a member of the R&D team at a business firm and having landed a job of his position now was something that he didn’t expect considering that he was a fresh graduate out of university. He tried his best in every work given to him and for the last six months, everything seems like to flow smoothly.

            “Hey hot stuff…” a guy came and sat at the edge of Jinyoung’s desk.

            “Junho ssi…” Jinyoung said and turned his attention back to his computer.

            “I told you to drop the formal thing with me…”

            “We’re in the office so everything is still formal in my point of view…”

He was getting annoyed with this guy. Junho would hover around his cubicle and flirting.

            “Jinyoung ah…I was thinking…are you free tonight? Maybe we could go out and doing something together…have drinks…anything…my treat…”

            “I’d love to take the offer but I’ve promised my brother that I would battle him again on StarCraft…he’s pretty upset when I beat him last time…”

            “How about lunch today?”

            “Sorry…Jia is buying me lunch…”

Jinyoung got up with stack of files with him.

            “I want to stay and chat but these documents can’t fax themselves…so, will you excuse me?” he walked past by Junho towards the end of the corridor.

            “You’re such a tough cookie…” Jia said as she entered staff lounge.

            “What?” Jinyoung took a mug and filled it with steaming hot coffee.

            “You who Lee Junho is right? He’s the second in command of our R&D department…”

            “So? That doesn’t make him less than he already is, does it?”

            “What do you mean? He’s hot as and while everyone trying to get him, he actually came to you…” Jia sat next to Jinyoung.

            “He’s a user…and I don’t go near one…”

            “User? What do you mean?”

            “I mean…that he sleeps around, one guy after another…I’ve heard about him from others before…and being in a relationship right now is not my priority…”

            “Something tells me that there’s a reason behind this isn’t it?” she rubbed her chin.

            “Whatever Sherlock…have fun trying finding out about it…” Jinyoung patted Jia arm and got up, bringing his mug with him.

            “Jinyoung ah…wait up…”

***************************************

Mark hated the way he looked in the mirror, the fitted maroon buttoned up shirt, silver cufflinks and pinstriped black slacks…to everyone’s eyes, he looked so damn fine but to him…it’s just plain ridiculous. This is something he never expected to wear...but having to work as a senior executive in his uncle’s company, it was mandatory for him to dress this way.

            “Are you ready?” his housekeeper asked, peeking her head at the door.

            “Ready as I’ll ever be…”

Mark walked out from his room carrying a small briefcase and handed it over to his driver.

            “You don’t look too happy for someone who’s gonna be at his first day of work…”

Mark looked at his housekeeper, Kyungrim ajumma.

            “Ajumma, did you seriously think I will suit this work? I majored in music at college for god’s sake.”

            “I think you gonna be just fine Yi-En ah…maybe this would be a good start for you…” she patted Mark’s back.

Mark couldn’t believe that he gonna start working in an office…something that he didn’t expect after graduating. He imagined that he would be in a studio working on choreography or perfecting his dance skill. But uncle have another plan set up for him so now he’s dragging his to the office. Living at a new city doesn’t help him either.

The first day of work went quite ok for Mark, apart from the occasional stares and whispers when he entered the main office building. A knock on the door woke Mark from his thought.

            “Come in…”

            “How’s my favourite nephew?” an older man walked in.

            “Namyong samchun…” Mark smiled.

             “Good to see you fitting well here…” Namyong said, taking a seat in front of Mark’s large desk.

            “I had to…what brings you here?”

            “Just wanna let you know that we’re gonna meet the department heads at two…”

            “Samchun…is it okay for me to be here? I mean…I don’t know anything about running a business and with a company as huge as this…” Mark sighed. “People may think I’m here just because I’m your nephew…”

            “Look Yi-En ah…you have every right to be in this company…before your father died, he asked me to give his only son his rightful position in the company that he builds with his blood and tears…” Namyong explained. Mark’s father was his older brother and he intended to fulfil the promised that he held on.

            “But why did he ask me to go for music then? I could’ve taken a business course instead…”

            “He wanted you to be happy…he didn’t know that the illness he had gonna take his life so soon…”

            “What will the board members say about this? They’re not gonna stay quiet when someone like me telling them what to do.”

            “The six months study you’ve been doing will help you…I know you had your knowledge get you to jumpstart your career here…”

            “Those six months is nothing to prepare me for this…” Mark sunk into the leather chair behind him.

            “That’s why I’m here to guide you…don’t worry Yi-En ah…I’m sure everything will be fine…trust me…”

            “I dunno samchun…I still think that I’m not fit to be here…”

            “It’s your father’s wish for you to continue his legacy Yi-En ah…I don’t to see my brother’s hard work building this company fell into some strangers’ hands…”

            “I’ll try my best samchun…”

            “That’s what I want to hear…” Namyong got up. “So, you wanna join me for lunch?”

            “It’s ok…I still have some documents to get through…I’ll just ask someone to order something for me…”

            “If you say so…and if you need anything, I’ll be down the corridor to help…” he winked.

            “Thank you samchun…”

Late evening…

Mark walked out from the spinning door of the main entrance towards his awaiting car when he heard someone calling a familiar name out of nowhere.

            “Jinyoung ah wait up!”

He turned around looking but there’s all he could see people bustling to the nearest subway station.

*Maybe it was a different Jinyoung…* he sighed. Just hearing Jinyoung’s name bring a deep pain within him. When he woke up the morning after and found out that Jinyoung had left, he felt like a chunk of his heart being ripped out him. He tried looking for him it seems like Jinyoung just vanished. He went back to the club where Jinyoung used to work but no one knows about his new location.

*******************************

Jinyoung glanced at the watch on his wrist and quickened his pace. As Jinyoung stepped into the main lobby, he let out a sigh of relief…he wasn’t planning on adding late into his evaluation report this month.

            “Hey Jia, wait up…”

The girl turned around and they both got into the awaiting elevator. It’s only handful of people inside so they don’t have to hurry.

            “Looks like we’re lucky…” Jia whispered.

            “I guess so…”

Then…

            “Hold the elevator please…” a voice came from the outside.

Jinyoung press the open button and when a guy walked in, he gasped in shock.

 

Another update to celebrate my 100+ subbers....