Ambush

Deep Dark Love

Jieun was lost in her thoughts when they got back to the cabin. She walked into her bedroom without a word. Everything seem to spook her, and she felt something was wrong coming here for vacation.

 

“Back so fast?” Mom peeled her eyes off the book she was reading and looked at Sunggyu. “What's wrong with Jieun? You guys fight again?”

“No we didn't, I guess she isn't feeling well, maybe the woods spooked her a bit,” Sunggyu dusted the snow off his coat. “Did they happen to tell you about an old cabin being around here?”

“Old cabin?” She thought for some time. “I don't think so, why?”

“We happened to bump into one while exploring, it's....burnt and damaged,” he answered. “But anyway, I'm gonna go check on her for a bit, will be down later.”

“Okay, should I go take a look on her?”

“Nah, it's okay. She'll be fine,” he shook his head and made his way upstairs.

“Those two are back already?” Dad came out of the kitchen with a mug of hot coffee.

Omma gave him a brief nod. “They came across the cabin, I think Jieun knows.”

“Cabin?” Dad choked. “You mean the cabin that was supposed to be burnt down?”

“Yes, we should do something about it, if she remembers, it'll be hard to keep things under control again,” mom spoke in a serious tone.

“We should inform the higher-ups, let this matter be known to them, before things get out of hand,” dad suggested.

“We should do that once we get back, it would be suspicious to leave like this for a sudden,” mom advised.

“So be it.”

*******

“Are you okay? Mom wanted to check on you,” Sunggyu sat beside the younger.

“I'm fine,” she said without taking her eyes off the picture.

“What are you looking for, you've been spooked after looking at the cabin.”

“I...” Jieun paused. Sunggyu was right, what's she looking for in the picture? "Don't know.”

“Then put it aside and let's do something else, this picture of us looks better than that, just look at this,” he exchanged the picture of the cabin with their selfie.

“Fine then,” she smiled at their own picture, tossing the cabin one aside. She decided to ignore those images that flashed through her head before and just enjoy the present.

“I guess I'm imagining too much,” she concluded. “Let's go make lunch together.”

“That's more like it~” the older grinned.

 

 

Eventually, the night came. It was their last night in the cabin, they both had to do something to make the last night memorable. Wouldn't want to leave the place without and memories right? After dinner, the Kim family huddled around the fireplace, talking and laughing together.

“Mom, I noticed a weird thing about you, after all these years, you don't seem to age,” Sunggyu said. she jumped for a second at that statement. “It's because you both have been good kids, not angering me often.”

“Really? You must be thankful~” he teased.

“Dad doesn't really age much too,” Jieun wondered aloud.

“Same thing Eun-ah, you both have been good kids,” he commented.

“It's getting late, already 11pm, let's go sleep kids, your father has to drive tomorrow,” mom yawned.

“Okay then, but we won't be sleeping so early though, we'll make tonight last,” Sunggyu smirked.

“Have fun then, don't be too loud,” their parents both trotted up the stairs. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” they replied.

 

 

After sometime playing Monopoly that Sunggyu brought along, they began to feel bored. It was already past 1 in the morning after a round of unending game of Monopoly.

“Ah, this , no one can win this, we've been at it for an hour already,” Jieun whined.

“Then let's just go to bed, I'm tired, and its absurdly cold,” he yawns.

*******

Sunggyu tucked himself under the covers as Jieun slipped the pictures the took this afternoon in her thick sweater she was wearing.

“Goodnight, Eun-ah, see you in the morning~” he closed his eyes and smiled.

“Alright alright, furbrain,” she joked.

“Tch...” he opened his eyes and glared at her.

“It sure is cold,” she changed the topic, ignoring his glare. “Goodnight~”

 

 

Just like that, the night grew deeper and they both fell asleep. It wasn't long till Jieun woke up in the middle of the night. Her eyes just fluttered open suddenly. No dreams....nothing. She just woke up like how people wake up in the morning, except that it was still dark outside. She looked at her brother who was sleeping like a log beside her and looked around the dimly lit room by the moonlight. Nothing. She tried to go back to sleep, huddling next to Sunggyu, but when she closed her eyelids, an intense energy coursed through her body. This energy terrified her, chills ran down her spine. Someone, or something, is coming.

 

*At dad and mom's room*

“You feel that?” he asked as they both got up immediately.

“It's him, he's coming, he found her,” she got up the bed and went to the window for a look. Inhaling deeply with her nose, she let out a low growl.

“He's already here.”

Without a signal, glass everywhere shattered into pieces. A thundering noise echoed throughout the cabin, someone blasted open the door of the cabin. Appa and omma rushed out to confront that particular someone.

“What's happening?” Jieun screamed as Sunggyu hugged her protectively, wide awake after that shocking thunder of noise.

“Stay in your room,” their father instructed. Without even sparing a second, their parents disappeared downstairs. Refusing to listen, the two siblings both scrambled downstairs to take a look of the situation, but ending up in front of two creatures. They were hidden in the shadows, they had no idea how or what they looked like, they only saw one having crimson red eyes, the other purple eyes. Then it s trucked Jieun, this is what she dreamt yesterday night, her nightmares came true. But it was slightly different, there were 2 creatures instead of one.

 

“No....this can't be happening,” she thought and clutched onto Sunggyu's shirt tightly.

“Go, run kids!” their father shouted as he fought the 2 creatures, with mom as well. But the 2 creatures were so powerful, dad and mom couldn't even lay a finger on them. Punches and kicks were thrown everywhere. All of a sudden, the purple-eyed creature smashed Sunggyu, sending him sprawling away from Jieun.

“Oppa!” she screamed, shocked. The blow was severe, Sunggyu was already bleeding profusely.

“No, no, please,” she rushed to him and cradled him in her arms.

“Run!” Sunggyu croaked, lying in a pool of his blood, barely hanging onto his breath.

Furniture crashed into each other and shattered in the cabin. Mom's piercing scream erupted, filling the night. Jieun gasped and turned to the direction of the scream, seeing her mother lying beside the coffee table, fighting to get up. The chaos was driving Jieun insane, watching Sunggyu in a pool of blood and seeing her parents retaliating unknown creatures in the cabin, her heart was hammering in her chest.

NO! How can I leave you like this?!” Jieun wailed as she cradled her half-dead brother in her arms, his blood stained on her hands and seeped into her sweater and to her nightgown.

JIEUN! RUN!” Dad roared. “JUST GO!”

Jieun was frightened by her father's menacing roar, its was deafening, it didn't sound human. She has never seen her father in this state before, not even once. She swore that both her parents eyes were shimmering in the darkest blue ever. Even her mom growled fiercely, fangs protruding her gums.


 

Fangs...just like her dream.


 

Confused, shocked and terrified, her legs were numb, she couldn't even stand up. Those creatures were moving so fast that one could not even decipher what they were. With a flash, the red-eyed creature flung Jieun to a side, separating her from Sunggyu. She crashed into a wall, head on. Blood started to drip from her forehead and she winced in pain. Her mother crashed beside her, Jieun swore she heard a loud snap of bones. The creature then flung their father out of the cabin's window, sending him flying out to the snow.


 

MOM! DAD!” Jieun screamed. She shook her mother who was lying beside her frantically, blood gushing from . There was not even a slight response from her mother, Jieun immediately reached to check her pulse.


 

No pulse...


 

Jieun sobbed, whimpering 'mommy' again and again., shaking her mother's shoulder, not accepting the fact that she is gone. Suddenly, Sunggyu was held high up from behind, his feet were inches away from the floor. Jieun couldn't see the creature, she only saw him wearing leather boots and it's crimson eyes looking right at her black orbs as his face was hidden behind Sunggyu's shoulders.

Run! Just go!” Sunggyu managed to yell. The creature raised and arm, holding a razor sharp dagger, aiming for Sunggyu.

DON'T! PLEASE! DON'T!” Jieun begged on her knees, tears pouring from her eyes. Sunggyu, the one she loved most, grasped by some unknown creature, weak and fragile, helplessly awaits his death.

Eun..ah...I...love y...you,” Sunggyu managed to give her his final warm and soothing smile. Before he could say another word, the creature stabbed the dagger into the older's back. He let out a yelp and blood trickled from his mouth moments later.

OPPA!” She screamed. She couldn't wait anymore, it was now or never, she had to run. She bolted for the door ran out into the freezing snow.


 

Piercing screams rang in her head. She didn't look back, she didn't want to. Wearing nothing but a sweater and night gown splattered in blood, tears were streaming down her cheeks uncontrollably as she kept running into the unending woods. She forced herself to run as far as she could go. But unfortunately in the frigid weather, she couldn't endure it any longer. Her speed decreased as her legs wobbled. She started to drag herself, breathing heavily. Eventually, she dropped to her knees and her vision blurred occasionally. She didn't know where she was, she didn't know who or what she was running from.

Blood was seeping out from her forehead, she felt no pain. She was numbed by the cold weather. She could only feel her heart hammering in her chest and the throbbing pain was inevitable. The last thing she saw was her brother lying in a pool of blood, telling her to run. She knelt in the snow and screamed in pain. She then fell flat into the snow, fighting to keep her eyes open.

Within seconds, a silhouette that belonged to a creature(man) in a dark suit and a hat was right before her. She tried to look up, but she couldn't see his face clearly. All she saw was a pair of crimson eyes boring right into her soul. The same crimson eyes back at the cabin, who murdered her parents, and her brother.

In the end, she gave up. Darkness and unconsciousness started to invade her. The mysterious man scooped her up in his arms, and walked away, and she knew she would never see her brother in the morning ever again.


Authornim: I'm back and updating again~ And yes, Sunggyu's dead. *gets bricked*