The Woods

Deep Dark Love

The sun kissed Jieun's face. She flipped to a side and opened her eyes, staring at Sunggyu. Relieved to see him still sleeping like a log, she smiled. She heard muffled conversations downstairs, appa and omma must be awake. She got up from the bed and gave her brother a peck on the forehead before approaching the window to appreciate the morning snow. Breathing in the cold air, she began to immerse herself in her own thoughts.

 

Moments passed by. Sunggyu suddenly rested his head on the curve of her shoulders, causing the younger to jump a bit.

“Good...morning...” he mumbled sleepily. He was careful on choosing his words, not wanting to remind her about the nightmare she had last night.

“Morning yourself.”

“Eyyyy, don't be so mean,” he whined with a hint of cuteness in his voice.

“Fine..” she mumbled, still staring deeply at the woods.

“What are you looking at?”

“The woods,” she pointed. “Shall we explore a bit after breakfast?”

Sunggyu had to admit, he was startled when he heard what Jieun had suggested. Every sense in him screamed to stay away from the woods and object to the idea, it just didn't feel right, but he just had to relent.

“Sounds great I guess.”

“Then go wash up, breakfast seems to be ready,” she gave a small smile. Sunggyu doubted that Jieun was feeling anywhere but fine, he thinks she is probably still affected by the dream last night. But nonetheless, he waved off the matter and decided to cheer her up later.

**********

“You kids sleep well?” Mom asked as she placed breakfast on the wooden dining table- gimbap, kimchi and seaweed soup. That question had no doubt trashed the scenes of the horrible nightmare in Jieun's mind again. She flinched at the thought of bloody images flashing before her eyes and as the screams rang in her head again.

“We slept well,” Sunggyu volunteered to answer.

“Yeah,” she mumbled and pulled out one of the dining chairs, proceeding to take a seat. Sunggyu sat beside her a yawned a loud yawn.

“Close your mouth son, wouldn't want flies in,” dad teased. Sunggyu scowled, obviously annoyed but his father was oblivious to it.

“We'll be going into the woods after breakfast,” Jieun said.

“The woods?” Their mother returned to the dining table, holding the last bowl of soup for herself. The tone in her mother's voice gave away the hint of disapproval.

“Yeah, can't we?” Jieun looked up at her mom dejectedly.

“Don't worry, I'm tagging along,” Sunggyu voiced out and munched on some kimchi.

“Then I'm totally fine with it,” she began eating a gimbap.

“Why the woods?” appa asked as he swallowed the last bit of his soup.

“Today's our last day here, wouldn't hurt to take a tour right?” Sunggyu spoke with a mouthful of food in his mouth, making his words barely distinguishable.

“Swallow your food first pabo,” Jieun grimaced and kicked his foot lightly under the table. But childish Sunggyu just grinned, feeling a tad bit happy that Jieun wasn't so glum anymore.

“Did anyone tell you that your grin is the worse sight in life?”

Sunggyu looked at her with amusement, thinking of how to tackle that diss she threw at him.

“Don't lie, I know I look cute when I grin~”

*******

Before going out, they wrapped themselves with as many clothing as possible. Jieun was rummaging through her bag, desperately searching for something.

“I'm done, what are you looking for?” the older approached her side. She didn't respond, she kept searching for what she was looking for and held it up in Sunggyu's face when she found it-a Polaroid camera.

“This!” she beamed proudly.

“Daebak, you actually brought that?”

“Mmhmm,” she hummed. “Let's go~”

They both trotted down the stairs and notified their parents.

“Be back for lunch~” their mother called.

“Yes ma'am!” they called back.

*******

Excitement overwhelmed them as they jogged into the woods, admiring the nature around them. The snow on the ground and the explicit cold air only seem to slow their speed. Jieun didn't really want to explore the woods. It was all because of her dream. Something in her dream gave her the mysterious urge to at least take a look around the woods, else she would've stayed back in the cabin, fiddling around with her phone instead.

“Here! Perfect spot!” Sunggyu exclaimed as he stood under a bare tree with snow accumulated on the corners of the branches.

“Perfect for?” Jieun furrowed her eyebrows.

“Selfie of course~” he sang and raised out a hand to her.

Jieun stifled a laugh. Selfie...

“What, you want this?” she passed him the Polaroid.

“No, no that,” he declined and pulled her arm, bringing her close to him. Jieun swore her heartbeat increased for a sudden and her mind became blank for a while.

“Now give me that,” Sunggyu reached for the Polaroid, briefly hugging her in the process till the Polaroid was in his grasp. He brought the camera up to an angle and motioned for Jieun to lean closer.

“Say cheese~”

“Who the heck says that nowadays?” Jieun rolled her eyes.

“Fine...then don't say cheese~”

What a ridiculous brother she had. But nevertheless, it made her laugh. Sunggyu made sure to capture that precise moment when she laughed. Her smiles and laugh exploded like beautiful lights every time he saw them, and he would never want to miss the chance of capturing it.

“How did it turn out?” She leaned in for a look. Sunggyu fanned the film, waiting for the picture to appear.

They were beautiful together. His stupid smile and her priceless laughter both got captured on the right moment, and they harmonized well.

“I'm keeping this,” Sunggyu stated.

“I want one too!” She protested. “Let's take one more.”

And so, they did. The second picture they took was even more beautiful. Both of them laughing this time, laughing together.

“What should we do now?” The older asked as they both strolled around the woods.

“I don't know, just explore and hang around,” she shrugged. “There's nothing to do in the cabin anyway.”

A shot of adrenaline rushed in her heart unexpectedly as she caught a glance of a big old wooden cabin at the corner of her eye a few feet away. She turned to the particular direction for a better look, but the trees were blocking the view.

“What are you looking at?”

“I think I saw something,” she paused and squinted just to be sure. And yes, she was positive that she saw the corner of the wooden roof from afar. “it looks like....an old wooden cabin,” she pointed to the direction.

Sunggyu squinted his tiny eyes, making them look like he has no eyes from the start. “Well, I can only see the corner of the roof jutting out,” he acknowledged.

“Let's go take a look,” she began walking before Sunggyu could say anything else.

“Hey wait-” but Jieun was already running there.

*******

It was indeed an old and wrecked cabin Jieun spotted. It looked like it has been set on fire before, but not for a very long time. The exterior features were similar to the cabin they were renting, there was a chimney and stairs leading to the front door. But those stairs look like they were gonna collapse anytime soon.

Fragments of images flashed in Jieun's mind all of a sudden. She saw distorted images of the cabin being set on fire, and someone screaming out a name. Then images of a girl sitting in the midst of the fire, all tied up in a chair flashed but Jieun couldn't see her face clearly. Every sound was muffled, Jieun couldn't decipher everything, it all came like a wave.

“Yah!” Sunggyu snapped fingers in front of her face and brought her back to the present. She flinched and blinked her eyes.

“Huh? What?” she mumbled, dazed.

“You okay?” he gazed into her eyes.

“Uh...yeah, I'm fine,” she stammered.

“You don't look too good, should we head back now?”

“I'm okay, just spaced out for a second.”

Without hesitating, she automatically took out her Polaroid and took a photo of the wrecked cabin. She was still puzzled by the sudden images that flashed in her mind, they all seem so real, so familiar... as if she was there to witness it before...

“I think we should go though, the snow is getting heavier,” Sunggyu suggested. “C'mon.” he locked arms with her and dragged her along. Jieun's head was still stuck in the images she saw just now. She pondered for some time and gasped when realization dawned on her.

I, Jieun thought, have lived this before.


Author's note: And yes everybody, Inspiritxbaby is back and updating again!!! I've finally finished my trials for the real exam to come (in another few weeks) and its a holiday next week!!! Woohooooo

But I don't know what have I done to my story though .__.'' What have I doneeee????? *sobs alone in a corner*

But nevertheless, thanks for the new subbies~ and those upvotes and comments~~~~ Kamsahamnida, Arigato gozaimasssss~~~~~Until next time! Bye bye peepo~