No reason to deny

Deep Dark Love

Sunggyu was wide awake for the whole night. He didn't felt the need to sleep, or even close his eyes. Everything was ringing in his ears. He hears insects chirping in the night, he hears his own heartbeat, heck he even hears the soft wind blowing outside. It hurt his head. It happened a while ago when he tried to relax his mind to Change and sounds began to crash in his ears. He clutched his head, grimacing painfully.

“S-stop,” he groaned and muffled his ears with the pillows on the bed, but it didn't make him feel any better. He has to start tuning things out, or else he might probably die of sounds overload. He had the sudden urge to look for Woohyun and ask for help, but a half of him forced him to deal with it alone. He laid on the bed, closing his eyes and forced himself to tune out the sounds. To his surprise, it worked. His ears obeyed him with no objections. He started on the chirping insects, and it was tuned out. Then he proceeded to the wind blowing outside, the sound muted too. All that's left was his own heartbeat.

“Mute,” he said. And the sound of his heartbeat muted.

“Play,” he said again, and he could hear his heart beating again.

“Mute,” he commanded one last time and his heartbeat was muted once again. He wasn't sure if he should be rejoicing to have such abilities as a vampire, but he knows that it will be a great advantage to look for Jieun.

But first things first, he had to Change and start reading the Law of Vampires.

He walked to the bathroom, looking at himself in the mirror. His skin was still pale, but he looked firmer...steadier...and stronger. He turned his face in various angles, examining closely. His collarbones were more defined and distinct. Sunggyu began to his shirt, tossing it in a corner. He gasped. His body was more muscular than before. Fine lines boasted the slight set of packs on his abdomen. He balled his hands into fists, and veins popped out on his arm. Then he realized something-he felt taller. It was as if he had a growth spurt. His body was more proportional and his legs were also well toned. He placed a hand on the mirror, pressing his forehead on it.

“Change,” he mumbled. Nothing happened. Annoyed, he tried the second time.

“Come on,” he rasped. “Change already.” It still didn't work. Frustration and anger boiled in him, he felt his heart beating faster than usual.

“Damnit I said Change!” He growled and hit the mirror. It cracked and shattered to the ground, little shards of glass pierced onto his foot but he didn't felt pain. He looked at himself in the broken mirror and saw his eyes changing from hazel to purple. The same demonic purple he saw himself in earlier. Fangs protruded from his gums again and he felt like as if he was looking at a monster.

He felt like a monster himself.

But no matter what, he had to accept the fact that he was now a vampire. Superior to be exact. Now he has to focus on finding Jieun. And to find Jieun, he must learn everything about vampires first. And to learn, he has to start reading.


 


 


 


 

“You sure you're okay?” Taehyung asked when he stopped in front of Jieun's house.

“Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for the ride,” she said and got off his car.

“School's starting in a few days, I'll give you a ride too,” Taehyung called to her.

“It's okay, I can walk,” she waved and entered the house, locking the door behind her. Taehyung sighed. He knew Jieun was hiding something from him but he didn't want to force the truth out of her. Shaking his head, he drove away.

Peeping through the window, Jieun saw Taehyung's car speeding away. She took out the book that was stuffed behind her back and looked at it. As she thought, the weird symbols began to transform into words she could understand.

“Law...of vampires...” she mumbled while walking up the stairs to her room. She her computer and flipped through the book.

“Few ranks...Purebloods, Superiors, Commons, Beasts...Eye color, red, purple, blue...” she stopped at those particular words. She remembered the two creatures having red and purple eyes respectively. She remembered her parents having blue eyes. She flipped another few more pages, finding herself words like Law and Abilities.

“Super heal, super strength, teleport in quite a distant...” she read. The creatures and her parents did have abnormal strength, but it wasn't enough to make Jieun believe that those were vampires, and her parents as well. She typed 'Law of the Vampires' in the search engine and waited for the results. She then clicked on the first link and waited for it to load.

The screen displayed various pictures that looked similar to the Law of Vampires she was having but neither of the pictures had an exact match. The description stated did not make sense as well. Huffing in displeasure, Jieun hasn't given up. Instead, she searched for the history of vampires and to her luck, she found something.

It was said that even though vampires were a myth or folklore, some people truly believe in their existence. There were several cases back then that was categorized as 'Vampire case' because the victims were found dead in alleys with two holes punctured right at the neck. The victims' death were reported due to a loss of a great amount of blood. But no matter how the investigation went, they never really found out who was the culprit. Eventually, cases like that became 'Unsolved cases' in the investigation department. Since then, people often believed that those were doings of a vampire. Nevertheless, cases like those began to lessen gradually. No one knows why but they're just relieved that something inhumane like this is no longer continuing.

Then Jieun found an article written by a deceased professor a century ago. He stated that he saw a vampire with his own two eyes. He was walking around the forest on a winter night for a research and encountered a burning crackle, as if a fire has started. He followed the sound and saw a wooden cabin being set of fire. The flames were rising slowly, enveloping the cabin bit by bit. He then saw two creatures battling each other in front of the cabin. They were fast and absurdly strong. He swore that their eyes glittered in a ferocious red since he was standing close enough to see the details. Those creatures growled and snarled at each other, revealing sharp fangs. The professor was terrified, but he still stayed a bit longer to observe the revelation. What shocked him the most was one of the creature clasped a hand over the latter's neck, gripping tightly. In a flash, the former creature bit the neck of the latter and blood spewed everywhere. The professor was too horrified to continue watching, he stood up and ran. Away from the cabin, away from the creature.

The last thing he remembered was a shrill cry in the night, like someone calling out a name. Of course he did reported what he has seen and it was expected for people not to believe him. Nobody even bothered to at least visit that place. They claimed the professor to have lost his mind and admitted him to a mental hospital. Disappointed and frustrated that not a single soul believed him, he was depressed. And that depression led him to a suffocating death.

Jieun stared at the screen when she finished reading. She pondered for a while and came to a conclusion: Vampires do exist. There wasn't a reason to deny the existence of vampires after all that has happened. And there was proof that the professor's article had so many similarities with the Law of Vampires. The peculiar thing was the burning of the cabin and a cry of a name. Jieun had flashbacks of the said events, and she has a feeling that it was really her, but she does not know why.

Putting aside her laptop, she flipped open the Law of Vampires once again, reading it carefully, word by word.


 


 


 


 

“Rise and shine.”

Sunggyu looked over his shoulders when his bedroom door creaked open. It was Woohyun.

“I see you didn't sleep at all,” he smiled cunningly, walking into Sunggyu's room. “How's everything going?”

“Good,” Sunggyu nodded. He figured it would be best to be at least polite to Woohyun, even if he didn't really like him. Without a word, he Changed in front of him.

Woohyun let out an amused smile. “Pretty fast learner. What did you learn from the book yesterday night?”

“Many things,” Sunggyu replied blandly but there was a hint of sarcasm in his tone. He earned a sudden glare from Woohyun. The glare was dangerous and scary even to him. It seems that Woohyun wasn't the kind to take in sarcasm.

“Care to elaborate?” Woohyun bore his eyes right at Sunggyu. At that instant, Sunggyu trembled. He immediately reported all the details he has read. He was also surprised to have such good memory. Woohyun interrupted his report with a wave. A picture was held in between Woohyun's index and middle finger. Sunggyu immediately saw what the picture was-he and Jieun's selfie. He gasped and started to run to Woohyun for it.

“Stop,” Woohyun said and the latter froze. “If you want this, answer my questions that I'm about to give you.” Sunggyu gulped and nodded.

“Tell me about vampire ranks.”

“There are four ranks. Pureblood with red eyes are the most powerful ones. Next up are Superiors that have purple eyes. Then it's Commons with blue eyes. Lastly are Beasts, who cannot control themselves from blood lust and does not have an eye color,” he answered.

“Abilities?”

“Vampires have absurd strength, fast healing, super speed, and can teleport in a few kilometer's distance.”

“Taboos?”

“Vampires are not supposed to engage with humans. Vampires must live a quiet life. Never kill another vampire unless a valid reason is stated. Vampires must control their own blood lust and never kill human for blood. Going against the taboos will result to death or banishment.”

“When do we need blood?”

“When we're severely hurt. Till then we may hunt for humans and dispose of them in fire.”

“Our weakness?”

“Fire and blood loss.”

“A good start,” Woohyun smiled and tossed him the picture. “I'll see you after breakfast. That's when we'll start the real thing.”

The door closed behind Woohyun and Sunggyu was busy looking at the picture. Seeing Jieun smile like that, he was even determined to kill whichever vampire that caused this whole mess.

“I'm coming for you,” he murmured and kissed the picture. “Wait for me.”

 

 


Authornim: Its Decemberrrr!!!! Which mean Christmas is coming soon~ Craving for presents xDDD Anyways, enjoy this chapter. Comments and upvotes are loved~