Law of the Vampires

Deep Dark Love

Jieun felt a hand touching her cheeks and a soft voice waking her up.

“Jieun-ah, we're here.”

She groaned and shook her head to wash away the fatigue. To be honest, she hasn't been sleeping properly for the past few days. She often wake up in the middle of the night due to nightmares, replaying the scenes over and over again about how her family died. No matter how much she felt like going back to sleep, she had to bring her family's death to justice-it was her priority.

Taehyung touched her forehead, gently caressing it. He sighed at the sight of her , worn and forlorn. They already reached their destination 30 minutes ago, but Taehyung figured it would be better to let her sleep for some time since she needed it.

“Uhn...” Jieun yawned and opened her eyes, finding Taehyung right before her eyes. “Thanks...” She mumbled and opened the door, followed by Taehyung on the other side. The whole cabin was surrounded by police tape, indicating that no one is to go beyond.

“You sure this is a good idea?” Taehyung walked next to Jieun, passing under the police tape and to the cabin.

“I hope so,” she replied. The entrance was wide open, since it was blasted open by the creatures.

“What kind of human can blast an entrance this big?” Taehyung wondered. Jieun looked at him, amused.

“It was no human...creatures infiltrated the cabin,” she mumbled.

“Did you say something, Eun?”

“Nothing,” she said and scanned around the cabin. Blood was everywhere. On the floor, the walls... It reminded her how her mother was trashed to the wall, breaking her bones with a sickening snap, and how Sunggyu laid defenseless on the ground, soaked in his blood. Jieun gritted her teeth, forcing tears of remorse and wrath to go away. On the other hand, Taehyung was just casually looking around. Jieun was surprised that he showed no bit of fear, as if it was normal looking at a trashed cabin and blood splattered everywhere.

“You're not afraid?” Jieun asked. The question made Taehyung flinch.

“Uh...” he stammered. “Yeah, it does scare me.”

Jieun glanced at him briefly, then made her way upstairs to Sunggyu and her room. She was looking around when something caught her eye. She turned to the direction which was at the corner of the bed and went closer for a clearer look. This time, tears came spilling out from her eyes as she stifled a sob. She found the picture of her and Sunggyu.

There's another one, she thought. Hurriedly, she fumbled the bedsheets and pillow, looking for the other picture they had taken together.

“What are you looking for?” Taehyung asked as he just came up. He was taken aback when he heard Jieun sniffling.

“Help me find the other picture,” she wiped her tears and showed him the picture she was holding. “I took one more with oppa, but I can't find it.”

“Okay, I'll give you a hand,” Taehyung said. Taehyung personally knew Sunggyu, since Sunggyu was his sunbae in their school's singing club. They talk occasionally, and Sunggyu knew that he was a good friend of Jieun, so he trusted him.

After hours of searching, the second picture was nowhere to be found. They gave up and returned to the car, since there was nothing else to look for anymore. Upon reaching the car, Jieun remembered about the old and wrecked cabin nearby. She thought maybe there would be clues or hints to what's currently happening to her.

“Taehyung-ah, we can't leave yet, I have a place to go.”

“Huh? Another place?”

“Yeah, just a short distance from here, you can stay in the car,” she answered.

“No, I'm coming with you,” he looked at her with a serious expression. Silence filled the air for a moment, then she replied, “Let's go.”


 


 


 


 

Myungsoo and Sungjong returned to the castle, located somewhere in the depths of Seoul's forest that no one ever came to.

“Hyung, you're back,” Sungyeol rushed to both of them; they were covered in blood. “What happened?”

“Nothing much, just those Beasts are out and hunting again, send a group out to take them down, won't want any casualties,” Myungsoo instructed.

“Understood,” Sungyeol nodded briefly and made his leave.

“Sungyeol-ah, wait a minute,” Myungsoo called and walked to him.

“Yes?”

“So, what's up with Woohyun now?” He whispered in Sungyeol's ear.

“He's holding Sunggyu as captive, I don't know what he and Hoya's up to,” Sungyeol whispered back.

“Okay, thanks,” Myungsoo patted his back and proceeded to his room.

There are actually several places that vampire lives, but they're all located in the forests of Seoul, where no one knows. Vampires dwell everywhere within humans but they don't harm them for it was one of the Laws of the Vampires. Only Beasts attack humans for blood, because they are mutated vampires that lusts for blood. Eventually, higher rank vampire's are in charge of disposing them.

There are a few clans and ranks of vampires. Since vampires are mostly immortal, there isn't a large number of them. Vampires are categorized in a few clans and the Kim clan is currently in charge. For ranks, vampires are categorized as Purebloods, Superiors, Commons and Beasts. Purebloods are usually vampires that lead a clan. They are the most powerful vampires with blood-shot eyes. Superiors are vampires with purple eyes. They come after Purebloods, powerful but not as good as Purebloods. Commons have blue eyes. These vampires are the majority in numbers, and they dwell among humans. Beasts...are well...mutated creatures that needs to be hunt down.

“I just wish I could stick a pole through Woohyun's neck,” Myungsoo grumbled as he took off his bloodied clothing and plopped onto his bed, revealing fine lines of his body muscles.

“But too bad your father stated that killing a vampire with no reason results to death in the Law,” Sungjong reminded and went into the bathroom to wash up.

“That old father of mine...”

“Look at the bright side, you're his son and you're currently half in charge of the kingdom of vampires. With this position, it's actually an advantage.”

“Advantage my . Woohyun's father is trying all he can to shove him up to get my position. For now, I can't take any action to investigate further about his plans. My father and Woohyun's mother are siblings, and the Nam clan are finding a way to take my dad's position if he retires,” Myungsoo sighed and smacked a pillow on his face.

“Your father is bound to surrender his position to you, since you're his only heir, why worry?” Sungjong said while turning on the shower in the bathroom.

“Things have changed, Jong-ah,” Myungsoo's voice was muffled due to the pillow, but Sungjong heard it clearly, since vampires have sharp ears. “Last time, it was the child of the leader who would inherit their father's position. But now, if my father retires, I have to battle with that obnoxious cousin of mine to get the position.”

“Why so?”

“Our clan and the Nam clan are actually on par. Vampires obviously wants the most powerful one to be their leaders, so it would be based on votes from them. The most powerful one has the advantage and takes it all,” Myungsoo took away the pillow and stared at the top of his bed.

“So, you're saying Woohyun's better than you?”

“What?” He sat up from his bed immediately. “Heck no!”

Sungjong turned off the shower and came out, drying his hair with a towel, filing the room with the scent of soap. He chuckled, “Hyung, you already have your answer and you're still worrying?”

“Just...” Myungsoo sighed and closed his eyes. “If he finds out about Jieun, I'm done for. He'll use her against me.”

Sungjong approached Myungsoo and gave him a squeeze on the shoulders. “Maste-I mean hyung, we will get her first before that scumbag does, okay?” Myungsoo opened his eyes and looked right at Sungjong, contemplating awhile before nodding his head.

“That's the spirit! By the way, what's my record?”

“45 seconds. I'll beat you this time,” Myungsoo said and proceeded towards the bathroom. “Start counting, I'll be out in 20.”

Sungjong stifled a laugh. “Now I know why you stink sometimes.”

“Yah, I do shower properly okay? It's the matter between who's faster,” the older scowled.

“Who even started this game anyway? It's...childish,” Sungjong browsed through his closet for a fresh set of clothes.

“You did,” Myungsoo called. “We can never stop playing this game, since it's a tradition that we swore an oath to when we're kids. Your fault.”

“Really?” Sungjong said mockingly. “Then I'll start counting now, loser treats~”


 


 


 


 

“I'm counting you as one of us,” Woohyun sat on the couch in his study room. It was filled with rows and rows of books, it could probably turn into a library.

“Where's Jieun?” Sunggyu demanded.

“Just have a seat first, alright?” Woohyun gestured to the couch opposite of Sunggyu. Suggyu obeyed, even though he didn't want to. But for now, he felt as if he was being controlled by Woohyun. The part of him that wanted to get out of this place has been supressed. Whatever Woohyun did to him was going against his will, and he had no choice but to comply.

“Hoya, het me a mirror and a glass of you-know-what,” Woohyun got up from his seat and patted Hoya's arm. In a flash, Hoya disappeared, leaving Sunggyu in amusement. Woohyun then moved towards the bookshelves placed against the wall, looking for something.

“I really cannot believe vampires do exist...” Sunggyu mumbled under his breath, but it was well heard by Woohyun.

“Of course we would. You're one of us now, and yous till doubt? Give me a break, we are dwelling among you puny humans. We're everywhere. Shops, markets, schools, gym...you name it, we're there. But those are normally the Commons-ah, found it,” Woohyun said and pulled out an old book carved with weird symbols on the front page. He tossed it to Sunggyu, and the latter's reflexes were fast, catching it in mid-air.

“Pretty fast of you. Guess I didn't choose you for nothing. Open and read it,” he gestured to the book. Sunggyu touched the book, it felt rough under his fingers. He flipped open the pages, finding pages filled with those weird symbols.

“How the hell am I supposed to read this?” Sunggyu grimaced. Just then, Hoya appeared with an antique mirror and a glass of thick red liquid. Sunggyu sniffed something, he recognized it almost immediately-it was blood. He started to growl and the symbols within the pages turned to words he could understand. Shocked and amused at the same time, he looked at Woohyun, who was currently retrieving the mirror and the glass of blood from Hoya.

“Wondering why you could understand the suddenly?” Woohyun smiled and lift up the mirror at Sunggyu, letting him see his own reflection. Sunggyu was clearly taken aback when he saw himself. His face was pale, very pale. And his eyes, it was purple, violently and vividly purple.

“Be glad, I turned you into a Superior. You have the same color as my servant here,” he gestured to Hoya, who was glaring Sunggyu.

Sunggyu touched his face, then to his lips. He parted his mouth slowly, and a pair of razor sharp fangs started to protrude from his gums.

“If you relax and slow down your heart rate, you'll become more human like. Vampires eye color changes when they're provoked, angry or attacked. Fangs automatically goes 'pop'., it's called the Change. You, as a newly transformed vampire, would have to learn how to control yourself before you enter the human world,” Woohyun explained. “Keep that mirror as a gift from me. Learn to control yourself and Change first, since that is the very basic of being a vampire, and if you want to see Jieun. Wouldn't want her to scream of fright seeing you like that right?”

Sunggyu growled again hearing Jieun's name on his lips. Woohyun chuckled. “Like I said, control yourself. Hoya will show you your room, and read through the book I gave you. It's the Law of Vampires. Break one law, and off goes your head.” Woohyun got up and walked to the door. “Get some rest for tonight, I'll see you in the morning.” Then, he vanished.

“Get up,” Hoya said nonchalantly. “Follow me.” Sunggyu complied, holding the book in his hands. After walking in the big castle for some time, they both reached the guest room. Hoya led him inside. The room was pretty luxurious. A big bed with a canopy stood beside a big glass as a window that leads to the balcony with the curtains drew open. Sunggyu walked towards the big glass and towards the balcony, gaping as he saw how high up it was, for there was nothing but a big mash of trees surrounding the castle.

“Try to leave, you'll never get to see Jieun. I suggest you sleep here quietly for the night and don't cause trouble,” Hoya said and closed the door, his footsteps slowly padding away. Sunggyu exhaled and sat on the bed, looking at the book. He opened it and it was weird symbols as before.

“Now...what should I do to Change again?”


 


 


 


 

Jieun and Taehyung reached the old and wrecked cabin. They both walked slowly inside, afraid that it might collapse anytime soon. Floorboards squeaked and creaked every time they took a step. Wandering around, Jieun made her way upstairs without Taehyung's consent. The interior of the cabin was similar to the one she was in with her family, but there was just one room on the second floor. She opened the door and walked inside, approaching the bookshelf, examining it. A book caught her eye and she took it out, flipping through the pages. It was all written in some weird symbols. She scrunched her forehead, forming lines of wrinkles. At that moment, the symbols suddenly turn to words.

“What...the...”she gasped. Closing the book, 'Law of the Vampires' was written on the front page. Images began to flash through her mind again. She heard a shrill scream, and a voice yelling a name...her name. She saw a cabin being set on fire, and a girl was tied up to a chair, screaming and writhing. The girl was...Jieun herself.

“Yah, Jieun!” Taehyung's voice jolted her and brought her back to the present. “You okay?”

“Y-yeah, I'm...fine,” she gasped and clutched the book behind her back.

“I think we should go, you seem spooked,” he said.

“Yea..h, let's go,” Jieun stuttered and followed Taehyung out of the room, the book still in her hands. What was those images about? Why did she saw herself tied up and screaming? And who was the voice that called her? It sounded familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. What was happening to her? She had to find out. But first, this is a secret that must be kept to herself. No one should know, even her best friend Taehyung.

 

 

 


Authornim: YAS! Finally updated a longer chapter!!! *celebrates* My back's gonna break sitting in front of the computer for so long. Fuhhhh... Anywaysssss, thank you so much new subbies and subbies who are reading this till now. Jinjja gomapda~ Imma go update my other story for now~ Annyeongggg <3 Love you guys lots

PS- The title for this chap is kinda tay, coz I can't think of what to put....Mehronggg~ And mianhada for the long wait as well~