Keep it a secret IV

+.+ Season Changes +.+ [Hiatus]
The music started as the dancers began their rehearsal for the next performance. Hebe looked up from the balcony, taking in a perfect view of the dance studio. It was a well-hidden place that she had found few years ago. She often went there to watch the dancers dance, whenever she had time. There she could see the dancers clearly, watching them jump and skip with grace.

"1, 2, Jump! 1,2..." The coach yelled, his voice overpowering the playing music. It was normal daily practice, nothing interesting. Yet Hebe loved all the lessons, she loved watching them dance while tapping her foot to the rhythm. She sat down and listened to the soothing music. It was such a pleasant music, one that makes people want to dance along. She smiled, swaying her head left to right, enjoying the music.

***

Arron packed his score sheets into a file and set off to the balcony. He had to finish an original piece for Jiro by the end of the week and he should not waste his time. Grabbing a sandwich and apple juice, he went to the place that he recently found. It was a remote balcony, where he supposed, no one had found yet. It was quiet and isolated, perfectly suitable for him as there would be no disturbance. Yet what was most rewarding for him was that the balcony provided him with the best view of the dance studio, where his idol practised her dance everyday.

He read his incomplete scores as he walked up the stairs. He should be able to complete them in one or two days. Then Jiro could start practising the song. Finally he reached the top and instead of the empty balcony he should see, he saw a girl sitting on the ground.

Slowly he crept nearer to the girl and saw he face. It was somewhat familar. Did he meet her before? He continued observing her in silence. She was sitting with her eyes closed, her head nodding at the music that was playing from the dance studio. Then, gradually the smile disappeared. She opened her eyes and surprisingly she had not noticed Arron at all. Instead she concentrated on her jeans. Bit by bit, she pulled up her jeans, revealing a deformed leg.

If Arron was not impaired he would have gasped or shouted, "Oh my god!". Soon he realised he had just seen something that he should not have seen and immediately he tried to tiptoe back. Unfortunately fate made his papers fly into the air, alarming the girl.

***

Hebe quickly unrolled her pants and covered her leg. She got up angrily, glaring at the stunned boy who stood rooted to the ground, not knowing what to do. She remembered him! It was the shy guy whom she had helped pass the flowers to Rainie. Red-faced, she leapt forward, bombarding him with many questions.

"Why are you here?
What are you doing?
How did you know this place?
How long have you been here?
Did you see anything just now?
What did you see?
Why aren't you speaking?"

Arron repeatedly shook his head and waved his hands frantically. "Why aren't you replying? I'm talking to you! Tell me! What did you see?" Hebe continued asking. It took some time for her to calm down and realise something was wrong.

She heaved, recovering from her agitated state. She took a second glance at the guy, wondering why he was not explaining.

"Are you... you know, cannot... er... speak?" She was not sure whether she was too blatant. She had not encountered such experience before.

The reply came as a slight nod.

"OH... ooh..." She did not know what to say. They were both on the same boat. She did not know whether to scold him for discovering her secret or to sympathise with him. Just then, she saw a note appear in front of her. "Sorry" That was all that was written.

She looked up at him. He was smiling, though he was still unsure if she was still angry at him. Hebe stared into his eyes, immediately she forgave him. She did not know why, maybe it was because she felt his sincerity.

It was happy ending anyway. Both of them spent their lunch time at the balcony together, chatting happily. Arron almost used up all his blank papers that were initially prepared for him to compose. But he felt really happy and delighted to make a new friend. Especially one who could better understand his pain. Hebe, on the other hand, was not at all upset that Arron discovered her secret. In fact, she was glad that she found someone who shared the same interests with her. Even though they communicated not by spoken words, she felt that she could converse with him better than anyone else.

The bell rang. Lunch time was over and Arron had to get back to his piano lessons. They bade farewell and promised to meet at the balcony again. Arron got up and walked down the stairs, feeling lighthearted.

"Hey Arron!" His new friend, Hebe, suddenly shouted out to him. He spun around. Hebe looked uncomfortable as she began,"please don't tell anyone what you've seen today. You're the first one to know. Keep it.. a secret okay?"

He smiled, walking back to her with another note.

"Don't worry. I won't and I can't anyway. Your secret is with me."

Hebe laughed. She spent her time so happily that she forgot about his disability. Arron made a sign that meant "promise" and hurried off to his piano lessons, leaving Hebe in good mood and looking forward to the next meeting.

***

Whoo! Finished another chapter! I must buck up on my vocabulary and expression. Well... hope you enjoy this chapter. They've become friends! ((:

30.12.06