Friends Forever? VI

+.+ Season Changes +.+ [Hiatus]
Ella sighed as she pushed open the glass door and entered the café, where Chun was already sitting by a table waiting patiently for her. She was usually a punctual person when it came to dates. However, this time, she was 30 minutes late. There was no valid reason for her to arrive late. She had not put on make-up or dressed up specially. In fact, she was still on her couch half an hour ago, her eyes fixed on the TV and refusing to budge no matter how much Angela pushed her. She was reluctant, she had to admit to herself silently, to go for the date.

There seemed to be something holding her back. She did not know what it was but she had a really bad intuition, from the moment she woke up in that morning. Ever since she saw Chun’s ex-girlfriend, she could not stop feeling guilt for pulling him away such that the two would not meet. She did not know if she had done so out of jealousy but she felt a tinge of worry when Chun did not reply her messages as promptly as he usually would.

Chun had finally asked her out again. She should be happy, yet why couldn’t she smile?

“Here, Ella.” Chun called out to the girl who strutted across the room and sat down opposite him. He gave a smile again, like how he always did to her.

“What’s up?”

“I have… something to talk to you…” The tone softened slightly, with a hint of culpability.

“Hey! This café’s strawberry cake looks delicious! Should I order one?” Ella exclaimed before he could finish his sentence.

“Ella,” Chun frowned, “you never like strawberry flavored sweets.”

“Uh…ah ha ha ha! I feel like having one today!” It was a terrible act to hide the embarrassment. She could do nothing but to scratch her head and attempted laughing it off.

“Ella…” Chun started again but paused, obviously hesitant about his words. How should he bring the matter up?

“Fine. I’ll listen. Talk.”

It was nothing out of expectation.

Break-up. The word that both had been waiting for. One waiting to get the word out of his mouth, the other waiting to get out of the café once he mentioned the word. However, Ella did not move. She intended to give him a tight slap and splash cold water on him but she couldn’t bring herself to do so.

She had been deceiving herself all the while. She thought it might change. She thought one day his heart would eventually accept someone else. She thought that someone else would be her. Apparently it was all her imagination.

She understood that Chun was initiating the breakup for her own good. He must have pondered many times before deciding to meet her. If she was feeling horrible, Chun would experience double the pain. She was disappointed that the relationship did not end happily again, just like her previous three relationships. But she knew that he was sincerely apologetic and it was probably the best solution. If he could not love her, he should not be holding on to the relationship. It would only worsen the situation.

“I’m sorry, Ella. Sorry.”

She looked up and saw his concerned eyes staring into hers. How could that man take away all the fury in her?

“I expected it, haha. It’s okay. Let’s just be friends, yeah?” She cracked a smile. It looked ugly. She was never born an actress anyway.

Chun observed the girl in front of her. She looked so uncomfortable with the fake smile and he hated it. He detested himself for being a jerk. He had let a nice girl down. Yet, that was the only way. He could not betray her any longer. He could not lie to himself either. It was not love. It was merely empathy.

“Friends forever?” The very same question he himself received many years ago, and he was using them on another person. What an irony.

“Yeah, friends forever.”

***

“Chun!” Selina rushed towards Chun with a big smile, the latter returning the favor by giving a wave.

The two of them began walking down the street until another voice was heard and they stopped. Chun turned around and laughed heartily as he saw a girl running towards them with her hands raised in an animated manner.

“HOW CAN YOU ABANDON ME IN THE SHOP?!?” The yell attracted attention from the passer-bys but Selina and Chun were not bothered. They had gotten used to the attention whenever they went out with Ella.

“You guys owe me!” Ella boomed, snatching Chun’s wallet as she sped past him, causing the latter to chase after her.

Selina stared at the two of them and shook her head. It had been two months since Chun broke up with Ella. Chun never agreed to patch up with herself. Instead he introduced Ella to her and miraculously, Ella clicked with her instantly. It was fate, perhaps, that the three of them remained as friends. It might have taken them a long time to discover. Nevertheless, she was glad that they became buddies and silently she hoped that the friendship would last forever.

***

I have a bad feeling that I’m going to get bashed up for posting such a lousy chapter after some a long hiatus period. I decided to stick to my original plot of NOT making them lovers, I thought it was pretty cool twist. Since Chun was meant to represent Autumn I didn’t really want a typical happy ending of CHUNELLA… But I think it didn’t work out quite well… but anyways, please give me your opinions!

Last member’s story coming up! Calvin’s story! Who shall be his girl?? :D

09.09.09

Pretty date isn’t it? (:

Oh I have another story by the way! It's Esoteric Amour. Do visit it when you are free ((:

/jAeKI