21

Lock

SoRa bowed deeply, more than 90 degrees, to the doctor and nurse's backs. JiYong, after patting her shoulder, walked behind them, and SeoNam and DaeSung followed behind. JiYong turned back before he closed the door, capturing a glimpse of his best friend's girlfriend still bowing. He closed the door, shutting himself out from the depressing room.

SeungHyun sat on the bed, eyes opened. They did not move; they just stared straight ahead. He did not say a word, and neither did SoRa. She finally unfolded her body, raked her hair, and turned around toward the bed. As if SeungHyun was waiting for that moment, he reached his hand out to the side, where SoRa stood. She took the hand and embraced it in hers.

"SoRa," SeungHyun finally spoke. "I can't see you anymore, right?" he asked, but there was no response. "Right, you can't hear... I forgot," he said, letting out an empty chuckle.

He twitched his hand, and SoRa turned all her attention to his face. "How do we communicate now?" he moved his mouth very slowly, making sure she understood every word. He repeated the process several times, until SoRa finally responded.

"I don't know, but I'm sure we'll find a way," she replied cheerfully. Hearing her voice, although it sounded a bit forced, brought a great amount of relief to SeungHyun's heart. He smiled, and he knew she smiled back.

He closed his eyes. "I don't think you want to see these eyes," he said, and SoRa understood by watching his actions. He sighed, and laid back against the bed. "But what should we do? You can't hear, I can't see. We can't do a lot," he said, almost to himself.

As if she heard it, SoRa chuckled. "There's a lot of things out there that we can still do, oppa. Now that were both 'disabled,' we can do a lot of things, for a cheaper price or free!" she joked, and SeungHyun chuckled.

He tried to reach his hand out to ruffle her hair, when he realized he did not know where her head was. He began to pull his hand away, but SoRa caught it with her free hand. She brought it to her head, and ruffled her hair with SeungHyun's big hand.

"You can still ruffle my hair," SoRa told him childishly. SeungHyun, taken back from the action, nodded awkwardly. But soon he smiled, and continued messing up her soft hair that he once used to see.

 

DaeSung and SeoNam waved goodbye to JiYong, and walked down the hallway. JiYong sat on the bench next to the door of SeungHyun's room. He closed his eyes and everything that happened few minutes ago ran through his mind

JiYong exited the room, and found SoRa sitting on the bench. Her eyes stared blankly into space, her gaze lost in thought. He kneeled down in front of her, and she finally turned her attention to him. He reached his hand out to her cheek, and smiled tenderly.

"You should go home and get some sleep. You looked tired," he said with gestures. SoRa, who guessed what he said, shook her head sideways.

"I'm staying with SeungHyun oppa," she insisted. JiYong sighed and chuckled.

"Then let's go inside," he suggested, lending her a hand and leading her into the room.

SoRa let go of his hand as they entered, and she took a deep breath before walking up to her boyfriend's side. JiYong followed, keeping his distance from the troubled couple. SoRa took SeungHyun's hand, and he held it back as he turned his head toward them.

"JiYong-ah," SeungHyun called. "I probably lost my sight. It's really dark, and I can't even tell whether the lights are on or not," he said.

JiYong stepped closer to the bed, and he sighed quietly. "The doctor's coming soon to tell you the result of the tests," he reported, hinting that he did not know anything. He knew SeungHyun could tell that he knew everything, but he was too afraid to tell the news himself.

SeungHyun smiled, and slightly tightened his grip on SoRa's hand. "SoRa," he called. She paid close attention to his mouth movements. "I'm sorry, I know you're upset and worried, but I can't comfort you," he said slowly.

SoRa immediate shook her head sideways. "It's not your fault, oppa," she replied. She could tell her voice was shaking, as another tear was about to escape her eye.

JiYong stood right beside SoRa, yet he felt so distant. At the thought of not being able to help them and not having a space to enter between these two, his heart ached. He wanted to do something, yet there was nothing to do. He wanted to comfort them, but he couldn't find the right words. Feeling hopeless, he took a step back, when the doctor entered the room with SeoNam and SeungHyun.

 

SeungHyun SoRa's soft hair very gently, careful not to mess up her hair.

"I guess I have to memorize everything by the texture or smell or the sound it makes, huh," SeungHyun said, heartlessly. "I hate this. You're already having a hard time, and now that I'm like this, it's going to be even harder for you."

SoRa listened, although she could not hear. She thought, or rather believed, that as long as she could read his lips, she would be able to "hear" his voice. So she tried to "hear" every word that came out of his mouth. It took so much effort and a great amount of concentration, but that did not mind her. She knew that SeungHyun had done just the same for her ever since she became deaf.

"Oppa," she called out. SeungHyun tapped a finger against her head to let her know he was listening. "I don't care if I have a hard time, because I know you had a hard time with me. I don't care if I have to do things I've never done before, or stay up all night thinking about our future, or go around places to get help. Because I know you'd do it for me, and you have."

She stopped, catching a breath. She exhaled deeply, then held his hand tighter.

"I'll be your eyes. Just like you became my ears, I'll be your eyes. So don't worry, oppa," she told him.

 


Hey~~~~

SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING EARLIER >_<;;;;;;

Thank you for always being patient and understanding. I know I've said this a thousand times before, but I still want to say it ^^

 

Please feel free to leave a comment, and I will reply~^^