12

Lock

The hallways were too silent, but were ironically more welcoming than the usual path composed of hisses and whispers. Nothing reached SoRa's ears as she walked down the hallway alone. She was able to keep her head up through the hallway for the first time. When she finally reached a room labeled "Professor Ko," she knocked on it once. The door opened immediately, and she was greeted by a chubby, aged man. His expression was soft, and the thousand wrinkles on his face reflected the years of hard work.

"Good morning, Miss SoRa. Please, come in," he spoke kindly as he moved his hands in a particular way.

SoRa stood there confused, so he gestured her to come in. Finally understanding, SoRa stepped inside with him following behind.

The room was comfortable. The leather chairs and sofa were in a 'L" shape, there were small green plants growing below the window sills. Papers were neatly organized on the wooden desk in the back of the room, and there was a fine metal label with his name, "ByungHun Ko." Tall bookshelves lined up against two side walls. It held books old and young, some too difficult to understand, and some easy to recognize.

SoRa took a seat in one of the leather chairs across from the man. He offered her a cup of tea. After setting down a cup for himself as well, he placed a business card in front of SoRa. As she took it in her hands, he took two white boards, markers, and erasers. He handed one of each to SoRa, and he began writing something down on his board.

"My name is ByungHun Ko, and I am a professor here. I teach communication skills," he showed, smiling.

SoRa bowed, and wrote on her board, "I have heard about you many times. Nice to meet you."

Professor Ko smiled, and erased his board. Very neatly, he wrote, "I called you here to offer you help." SoRa nodded.

"How would you like to learn sign language with me?"

 

YoungBae tapped SoRa shoulder, and she jumped in surprise. He chuckled, and handed her a can of coffee. Recovered from the shock, she took it with a polite thank you.

"How was your day with SeungHyun sshi?" he asked. SoRa tilted her head to the side, and YoungBae apologized.

He thought for a few seconds, then breathed onto the window, whitening the spot. He wrote the question with his finger before the fog disappeared. He turned to SoRa with a smile. She nodded in approval.

"It was great! SeungHyun and I haven't laughed that much in such a while!" SoRa spoke excitedly.

YoungBae made a fog again, and wrote, "Tell me all about it."

So SoRa told him all about the day, how they grabbed so much attention, and how they fooled around in the stores.

She couldn't tell him when she lost her hearing, but YoungBae didn't ask. He didn't need to know, nor did he want to know. He was just happy that SoRa chose to work like before, without saying a single complaint.

SoRa was SoRa, and that was all that mattered.

 

"I never thought that I'd be able to meet Professor Choi's son. You're handsome, just like your father," Doctor Lim said as he brought two cups of coffee to the table.

SeungHyun shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He awkwardly bowed when Doctor Lim placed his cup in front of him. Doctor Lim chuckled at his reaction.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable," he apologized. SeungHyun nodded.

Doctor Lim sat down in the chair across from SeungHyun and took a sip from his cup. He sighed as he put the cup back down onto the table.

"You're here to know about SoRa, right?" he asked. SeungHyun nodded. "Before I tell you anything, let me ask you something." Doctor Lim looked straight into the tall, handsome young man's eyes. He stared right back.

"Are you willing to stay with SoRa no matter what happens?" the doctor asked.

"If I wasn't, I wouldn't be here," SeungHyun answered without a second of hesitation.

After a minute of silence, Doctor Lim nodded in approval. "Alright then. You have the right to know. What do you want to know?"

"There's so much I want to ask you, but.... the thing I want to know the most is the reason why she turned deaf," SeungHyun said.

"Hmmm..." Doctor Lim sighed, rubbing his chin. "One reason is that she was originally disabled in hearing, as you know. And it is highly possible and usual to worsen as time goes on. But..." he hesitated.

"But...?" SeungHyun urged.

"But... The rate, the speed, of her ear worsening was unusual. When that happens, we doctors first suspect the cause to be stress. However, it takes so much stress to speed up the process that much," Doctor Lim explained.

"Stress..." SeungHyun repeated.

"Yes," Doctor Lim confirmed. "That's all I know, unfortunately. The cause of the stress, I have no idea what it is."

"I see. Thank you very much," SeungHyun bowed.

 

SeungHyun scanned through the books on the shelf, and his eyes stopped on a book. He pulled it out and flipped through the pages.

His hand stopped on a page, and he quietly read, "The most common reason for worsening 5 senses is known to be overwhelming stress. When a person with disabilities in the 5 senses encounters an overwhelming amount of stress, he/she may face more difficulty with his/her disability. In worst cases, he/she may completely lose that sense."

SeungHyun stood there, processing the words.

"Young master, it's time," the secretary called. With no response, he called again. "Young master?"

"Huh? Uh, yea, I'm going," SeungHyun answered.

He quickly put the book back onto the shelf, and hurried to the exit of the library.

The book, very sloppily put back, fell off of the shelf and landed at the secretary's foot. He picked it up and swept the dust away.

He flipped it around, and tilted his head to the side in confusion.

Our 5 Important Senses

"Why was young master reading this?"

He put the book back onto the shelf properly and hurried outside.

 


Hey~~~~

sorry for the long chapter ._.

*EVERYTHING IN THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, INCLUDING SORA'S SYMPTOMS AND THE REASON WHY SHE IS DEAF. I HAVE NO MEDICAL DEGREE OR ANYTHING, SO PLEASE DON'T THINK WHAT IS WRITTEN HERE IS TRUE*

Did you guys figure out which SeungHyun it was in the end???

 

please feel free to leave a comment anytime and I will reply~^^