I Can't

Thanks To Him

All of their eyes widened as they looked at the envelope at our lunch table. Yeah, that's right, I didn't open my prize yet because I was hoping we can all share it. And... I didn't really have a choice because P.O snatched it out of my hands. 

"So what'd we get?" I asked as I tilted my head to the side. 

Some of them smirked as they read it.

Zico coolly slid the envelope towards me. "I don't think we can share the prize." 

"I don't think I want to share it anyway." P.O added and sat back down. 

"I don't think you have to accept it." Yukwon said and sat down beside me. 

I took the envelope and started reading. 

‘Congratulations! We are more than happy to give you and your prince a school free day so you two can go on a special/friendly date.' I stopped reading after that. 

"IM GOING ON A WHAT? WITH THAT GUY?!!" I immediately stood up from my seat and started screaming at the envelope. 

"You can look on the bright side." Kyung started saying. I just waited for whatever he was going to say. "At least you don't have to go to school..."

I slowly sat back down and dropped my head onto the table. "I think I'd rather stay in school than go on a date with that jerk." I said, still with my head on the table. 

Yukwon started patting my back, "Just go to class, I don't think it's obligated for you to go."

He had a point, it's not like I have to go. 

The bell rang so we all stood up. 

"What do we have now?" I asked Minhyuk and Yukwon since they're both in most of my classes. 

"Math." Yukwon replied and pouted. He wasn't a big fan of math. 

"Have fun on your date." P.O joked. I just lightly punched his arm and stuck out my tongue. 

I went to my locker and got my math stuff. 

"You ready for our date?" Of course it was L.Joe that said that. 

I turned around and saw him standing there. "I'm not going." I closed my locker and started heading to class. 

"Oh come on. You'd rather go to school than go on a date with me?" he chuckled and looked at me in disbelief. 

"Maybe if it was someone other than you, I would go." I coldly told him. 

"You know, some girls would kill to go on a date with me." He kept walking beside me. "It's just one date." he kept saying. 

"No." I continued walk to class. 

"You're so stubborn." he scoffed but continued to follow. 

Stubborn? I'm not stubborn. I just don't want to go on a date with you. 

"Okay fine." he finally said as I got to my class. "Have fun in class, I'm giving you 5 minutes." he smirked as he leaned against a locker and looked at his phone. 

"What?" I didn't know what he meant. 

"Just go to class." he kept that smirk on his face. 

I rolled my eyes and went inside and saw Yukwon and Minhyuk already sitting down. They both coolly waved and showed the spot they saved for me. Once I sat down the bell rang. I noticed the teacher look at his schedule like he does every day. He made this kind of face and looked up my way. 

"Oh Hyemi, you're not supposed to be here today." the teacher announced. 

Oh my gosh... Please don't tell me he's going to make me go on this stupid date. 

"Aren't you supposed to be on your ----." he got interrupted. 

"It's not a date." Minhyuk stopped him from saying what he was going to. 

I turned to thank him and he just winked then nodded his head with a smile. 

"I know, I wasn't going to say 'date'. I was actually going to say 'meeting'." the teacher replied. 

"Oh..." I accidentally said aloud. 

"Wow, she has a date with L.Joe Oppa?" I heard a girl ask quietly to another. The other one just nodded. They both looked shocked. 

"Anyways, Hyemi, you need to go to the front entrance." he said as he looked at his schedule. 

"It's okay; I don't want to miss any theory so I decided to stay in class." I said, hoping he'd let me stay. 

"I'm afraid to say this Hyemi, but you're obligated to go to this meeting." he added, still looking at his paper. 

Are you serious? "Oh, I understand..." I sighed and picked up my stuff. 

I looked at the guys and pouted.

"Call any of us if you need to be saved." Minhyuk said and Yukwon just nodded. 

That made me smile, "Thanks. I'll let you guys know. Bye bye." I waved and went out of class then bumped into L.Joe. I walked pass him to go to my locker. 

"That was less than 5 minutes, seems like someone changed their mind." L.Joe said in a cocky way as he followed me back to my locker. 


"So here's your schedule for today." the organizer handed us a sheet of paper. 

I started reading it and saw activities after the other with the time beside but there were choices that we can pick from. "Wow..." I mouthed. 

"The schedule goes from 11am to 7pm. As you can see, there are choices you can pick from." she started explaining. "Here are your bus passes, money for food and the tickets for the activities." she handed us another envelope. 

"Thank you." I forced out a smile and took the envelope. 

"Now you two have fun." she said with the biggest smile. "One more thing, make sure to be back at school before 8pm."

"Why?" L.Joe suddenly asked. 

"We have to make sure you get back safely." she told him. 

We both nodded. "Okay, thanks." L.Joe said and grabbed my wrist then proceeded to drag me to the nearest bus stop. 

"Have fun!" I heard the organizer shouted happily. 

Once we stepped out of school, I shook his hand off my wrist. "What's with you? You planned all this didn't you? You and me having the winning tickets?" I bursted out. 

"Huh?" he said as he looked at the time.

I sighed, "This is dumb, I'm leaving." I started walking off without looking back. I don't even know where I'm going. 

"Hyemi-ah!"

I kept walking and somehow ended up at the lake. My heart stopped for a second. My breathing felt heavier. I saw Ricky pass by me along with the rest of them. I saw them sit down at our usual spot and started talking. 

"Hyemi-ah!" a voice called continuously. 

I turned around and saw Jay. "What's happening?" I asked myself. 

He came up to me and placed both of his hands on my shoulders. "Are you okay?" that voice, it wasn't Jay's. I immediately rubbed my eyes and it was quite blurry for a few seconds. "Hyemi?"

I blinked a few times to clear my vision and saw L.Joe at the spot where I thought I saw Jay was with his hands on my shoulders. I turned my head to see if the others were there but there was no one. I sighed and looked back at L.Joe. 

"Are you okay?" he looked at me and asked. 

I nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine." 

What happened to arrogant L.Joe? Is he actually worrying about me? Or is this just some persona he's trying to have for me to actually accept this date thing. Pft, what am I even thinking?

"Ready to go?" he asked me and placed his hand in his pockets. 

I looked back again to make sure the others weren't actually there. Why am I seeing these things? I sighed. Maybe some company is what I need today. "Okay, let's go." I walked by him and headed towards the bus stop. 

"Wait, you're going dressed like that?" he asked me and just looked at my outfit. 

I looked at myself in the school uniform. "Oh, snap." I looked to see what he was wearing, he wasn't wearing the uniform. 

"You could've told me earlier that we didn't need to wear out uniform today." I told him and crossed my arms. "I don't want to go out in our school uniform... Even though it looks pretty."

"Fine, let's go buy you some clothes before we go." he grabbed my wrist again and started pulling me towards the mall that was close to the school. 

"Just bring me home and change, I don't want to waste our food money." I went back to the bus stop that goes back home. 

"Fine." he answered. 

I sat down on the bench and waited for the bus while L.Joe stood up. Look at him, posing while standing. Think he's some big shot? Why would that matter when his personality is garbage? Kingka of the school? Typical. I chuckled at my thoughts. He turned around and smirked at me. "What?" I coldly asked him. 

He walked towards me and sat on the bench too but right beside me.

I ignored it. I felt his arm raise and he wrapped it around my shoulder. I glared at him and shrugged his arm off. 

He chuckled. "That's cute." he said with a curved smile. 

I swear, I can't believe this guy. I felt his arm wrap around me again but this time I roughly pushed his arm away. "Do you want to die?!" I growled at him. 

He just kept that smile from earlier and didn't bother answering me. What a guy... So annoying. 


Author's POV

While L.Joe and _______ were on their way to where _______ was staying, Ricky always checked up on Jay to make sure he was okay. 

"Jay." he whispered to avoid the teacher's scolding. 

Jay grumpily turned around and looked at Ricky, "What?"

"You okay?" Ricky asked worriedly. 

Jay simply nodded with an uneasy expression. "Just a headache." he replied. 


Ricky's POV

I looked at Jay go back to sleep. Hmm, I wonder if he remembers anything from yesterday. I guess he too finds that Hyemi resembles _______. I know how you feel too Jay. I know you miss her but you can't hold onto her forever. I guess it's easy for me to say since I didn't really have a chance with her like you did...


L.Joe's POV

I looked outside at the passing scenery as we both stood inside the bus. I don't even know why the bus was so packed. I noticed Hyemi dosing off, someone didn't get their sleep. How long is this bus ride? I felt something land on my chest. I looked and saw Hyemi's head resting and then she wrapped her arms around me. I chuckled, "This is going to be easier than I thought." I whispered to myself as I looked at her. I pushed her forehead and she just squinted her eyes at me. 

"What?" she just asked me, not noticing that her arms are wrapped around me. 

"When do we have to get off?" I simply asked without mentioning it. 

She looked outside and widened her eyes then quickly pressed the button. "It’s the next stop." she panicked then noticed her other arm was still wrapped around me. She just pulled away and crossed her arms and glared at me. 

"That was all you." I smirked at her. 

She just pouted and passed through people to stay next to the exit. I followed. We got off the bus and this stop looked familiar to me. 

"Do you live close to anyone?" I just asked her and looked around. She didn't answer though. She just continued walking. I ran up to her to catch up. Up ahead of the street we were walking on, I noticed two black vans parked in front of a house. I accidentally bumped into her because she just randomly stopped. 

"Yah, why'd you stop? We're going to be late for the schedule." I told her but she still didn't answer. I walked over to stand in front of her and saw her looking at the black vans. She didn't move one bit. "Hyemi-ah." I waved my hand in front of her but she didn't even react. I heard loud footsteps coming from the house so I turned and saw a group of guys run into the house. "Oh snap, what the hell?"

Hyemi grabbed my wrist and started pulling me. 

"Yah, what's wrong with you? I thought you were going to change." 

"I can't!" I heard her voice crack as she continued to pull me but I didn't move from where I stood. "Don't just stand there! We have to go!" I noticed the back of her hand wipe her face. Was she crying? I decided to just follow her. Don't tell me that was her house? We both started running at one point and we both ended up at a park. I looked at Hyemi, she was out of breath.

I wasn't sure if I should do anything or just let her be. I sighed and called home to ask if there was anyone that can pick us up. 


We both stayed quiet as we sat in the car. From time to time I'd check on her but she always kept the same facial expression. Her black framed glasses made it hard for me to see her eyes though from where I sat. We finally got home and I brought her inside, I was surprised she didn't say a word or even yelled at me. 

"Stay here." I told her and went to look for some clothes that she can wear. I quickly brought my smallest pair of skinny jeans with a plaid polo and a white v-neck. "Here." I handed her my clothes. She took them and stood up. 

"Where can I change?" she asked me, with no emotion. 

"Uhm, the bathroom is over there." I pointed at the closest one. She obediently went to the bathroom. I sighed, "She's so different when she’s like this. I think I actually like it better when she's scolding me." I told myself as I sat on the couch. 

"Okay let's go." I heard Hyemi's voice speak beside me. I didn't even hear her walk out the bathroom. 

I turned to look at her. Woah... Who knew guy clothes can look so... So nice on a girl. L.Joe, stop it; this is not what you're aiming for. I shook my head and stood up. "Let's go." I let out a calm smile and held my hand out for hers.