Misunderstanding

Thanks To Him

 

Jay's POV
I went back to my locker after the bell rang. It's finally lunch time. This week is passing by so slow. 
 
"Yo Jay." I looked to my right and saw L walking towards me, both of his hands in his pockets.
 
"Yeah? What's up?" I asked as I threw my books in my locker, letting them fall on top of the rest of my school books. 
 
"I just have a few questions. Is that okay?" he asked. 
 
I turned to looked at him, trying to guess what his intentions were but blah, couldn't tell. "Sure why not." I ended up answering carelessly.
 
He looked like he was thinking. "Well I've been talking to Yukwon and he talked about some things. He mentioned something about a girl he used to like."
 
I felt my hands ball into fists just when he mentioned his name. The girl he used to like... He's talking about _______, right?
 
"Is it okay if I continue?" he asked, he probably noticed my fists. I nodded and let loose of my clenched fists, trying to calm myself down. 
 
 
Your POV
 
>>
 
Lunchtime 
 
The atmosphere felt so different at our table. None of us knew what was wrong with Yukwon. It felt like there was a rain cloud over him since the beginning of the day, just following everywhere he went. 
 
"Yukwon, are you okay?" I looked at him carefully as I asked. 
 
He took a glance at me and showed a weak smile as he nodded once. You can see the gloominess in his eyes. I pouted; this isn't the Yukwon I like seeing. I like seeing the smiling Yukwon that can reflect his smile on everyone else. I patted his back lightly and noticed him flinch a bit. Or was that just me? I looked at the others to see if they saw also but they were busy talking. I looked back at him and he stayed quiet. 
 
"Yukwon, did you get hurt?" I asked him quietly. Maybe he doesn't want the others to know. He shook his head, still not saying a single word to me. "Are you sure?" he nodded again as he avoided eye contact with me. I sighed, knowing he wouldn't tell me if I continued to ask. "If you need anyone to talk to, remember that you can talk to me." I tried to reassure him, hoping for at least a different reaction. A good one. And I got what I wanted. A slight smile formed on his face, his eyes smiling too. That made me smile. Whatever is going on, I hope you feel better soon. I thought to myself as I looked at him. 
 
 
Authors POV
 
Yukwon continued to sit beside _______, just trying to get used to this. Although he felt warm after hearing what ______ said, he sat there, uncomfortable, trying to push his feelings away after what happened the night before. It wasn't the outcome he wanted or expected. Especially how she said she liked someone else. He let out a big sigh and stood up. 
 
The rest all looked up at him, including ______, startled by his sudden movement.
 
"I'm going out for a walk." 
 
They all just nodded, knowing he had some things to clear out of his head. Not knowing the real reason behind his gloomy mood today. Without another word being said, he walked away from the table, heading for the exit of the cafeteria. 
_______ bit her lip, worried about the way Yukwon was since the beginning of the day. She looked at him carefully as he walked off; saddened by the fact that he didn't make any eye contact whatsoever. 
 
Coming from the exit, Jay was tense. You can see it in his dark eyes, just glaring at everything. His fists were balled and his teeth were clenching. He looked straight at the ground as he walked though, not knowing that Yukwon was heading for the exit that he was going through. Not until he looked up that is. 
 
What if she did come back?'
 
Jay tried ignoring what L told him earlier. He looked at Yukwon, daringly glaring at him. Yukwon noticed too, Jay walking towards him. They both stopped in front of each other. Only some people in the cafeteria were able to see this situation. Jay's and Yukwon's table were not in the right angle to see what was going on so they were clueless about anything that was going to happen. 
 
There was a tense atmosphere, slowly spreading across the cafeteria as more and more people noticed them. Standing in front of each other, not saying a single word. You were still able to feel the tense atmosphere, just by seeing the way the two eyed each other. 
 
"This is really not the best timing, Jaebum." Yukwon was the first to speak since he didn't want anything to happen. He wasn’t in the best mood.
He snickered at what he said. "I heard you talked to L this morning. Had a nice talk?" 
 
Yukwon wasn't surprised by that since he did talk to L this morning. "Yeah I did, how does that have anything to do with you?"
 
Jay chuckled as he continued to eye him down. Not knowing that Yukwon simply had a normal talk, not even mentioning a single thing about _______ to L.
 
"Still sticking to that tactic? Pretending to not know? You're really getting good at it."
 
Yukwon just stood there, knowing that Jay is never going to let that go. "Is that all? If you don't mind, I'm going to leave now." he tried walking beside Jay to pass by him but Jay just pushed him back inside the cafeteria, where now everyone can see. Something typical that Jay would do so Yukwon wasn’t caught off guard by it. Yukwon just waited for Jay to say whatever he wanted to say.
 
______ was completely oblivious of what was happening until Minhyuk nudged her arm. Her eyes widened by the situation. She stood up and tried squeezing through the crowd of people that was spectating, not doing anything to stop the two. 
 
Jay's blood was boiling up every second that was passing by. L's voice invaded his thoughts. Everything he said kept replaying. Jay wasn't mad or furious at L though, L told him that those were the things that he and Yukwon talked about. He was furious at Yukwon for everything he's done. Taking ______ from him, making her leave without a trace or hint of where she was going. Leaving him dumbfounded by the girl he loved. She left. Without a reason. Well not a reason that Jay believed. ‘I don’t like you anymore, I lost feelings. I don’t think I ever had feelings for you. This is for the best, Jay. I’m sorry for misleading you this whole time.’ He remembered the note she left in his jacket. The one that she left in her locker. Jay wasn’t wrong for not believing her though. She was
lying. Lying for the best, she thought. She figured that it would hurt less if she made Jay hate her. She thought it would be easier for him to get over her.
 
'If she did come back, wouldn't she go back to Yukwon? And not you?' 
 
The question that triggered his anger and Jay went for it, without another second to think about it. 
 
"JAY, NO!"
 
Hyemi was able to squeeze in right in time, her back facing Jay as she held tightly on to Yukwon's tie and school shirt. Her eyes squeezed tight as she waited for the punch to strike her. Yukwon, as a reflex, wrapped his arms around her because of her sudden action. He too, with his eyes shut. 
 
What happened to the punch though? 
 
Jay froze, not even realizing that ______ called him 'Jay' and not 'Jaebum', completely speechless at what he just witnessed. His fist was just inches away from Hyemi. What caused him to stop was a memory with the same exact situation. The only difference was that Jay was in Yukwon's position, holding on the girl of his dreams, ______.
 
If only he noticed that she called him 'Jay'. Then maybe, just maybe, he'd finally realize that it's her. 
 
 
Jay's POV
 
W-What is she doing? This girl... 
 
Time just slowed down once Hyemi stepped in front of me. I felt myself lose strength, stopping me from fully extending my arm. My arm fell to my side, lifeless. It gave up on me. I remember this situation, exactly the same. The only difference was that... ______... She was the one that stopped me from getting hit... That bastard was lucky he didn't lay a finger on her. 
 
The bell rang, causing everyone to disperse and walk back to their lockers. I felt Hyemi's glare on me. I stared at her and Yukwon but it wasn't them that I saw. I saw ______ and myself... I closed my eyes and shook away what I was seeing. I still felt the anger in me... Why?
 
 
Your POV
 
I don't even know what to say anymore. What the hell is his problem? Seriously Jay? The look he had on his face. What was that? He didn't look sorry at all but there was something. Something I couldn't figure out. I watched him walk away, towards the exit. He punched the 'exit' door with full strength as he walked out. I felt myself bite my lip, slightly worried if he hurt himself by doing that. The rest of his group followed. Ricky turned to me, smiling and winked at me. Oh Ricky, I miss you and the rest of the guys.
 
"H-Hyemi, are you okay?" I heard Yukwon ask, stuttering. 
 
I turned to look at him. "Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry about it." I smiled at him. He smiled back, getting rid of the worry in his eyes. I let out a breath of relief seeing him smile. I felt myself blush. 
 
"We'll leave you two lovebirds alone now." P.O's deep voice teased us. The rest followed and went to their lockers. 
 
I saw Yukwon just scratch the back of his head as he looked at me. He let out a big sigh, but half-smiled. It wasn't his best smile this time though but at least it was something, right? 
 
"I guess I'd rather be a brother to you than nothing at all. Right S-" he hesitated. "Sis?" 
 
B-Brother? S-Sis? "Oh, uhm, sure." I just agreed with him, trying to give him a convincing smile. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder as we walked back to our lockers. I noticed that Jay left a mark on the exit door as we left the cafeteria and there were little traces of blood. 
 
I hope he's okay. 
 
 
Yukwon's POV
 
I felt my heart sink when she nodded to what I said. I can’t believe I actually said that. I guess you'd rather have me as a brother instead? Then that’s who I’ll be to you from now on. She waved bye as she walked to her locker, I waved back and went downstairs to my locker. 
 
I sighed. Brother... Going to have to get used to that...
 
>>
 
Ricky's POV
 
Finally, its last period. I looked over to the awkward table. Jay and Hye--. What am I saying? I mean ______. Yes, I know for sure that it's her. From my theory about lip biting and from what happened in the cafeteria at lunch time. Same exact action. She even called him 'Jay'. Only the group calls him that, everyone else calls him by his first name. I guess Jay has competition again. I’m choosing not to be one of them this time. 
 
I don't think he knows that she's ______ though. There's probably a reason for her to be pretending to be someone else. A good one. 
 
Don't worry _______; your secret is safe with me. 
 
 
>>
 
Your POV
 
I waited for Yukwon outside of his class. What's taking him so long? I took a peek in through the window on the door. He was giving in his exam, I assumed.
 
He walked towards the doorframe and saw me standing there. He held his books in one hand and swiftly wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Since when do you wait for me after class?" he asked, a smile on his face. 
 
I couldn't help but smile back at him. "Just felt like it. You usually do the same for me so I felt like I should return the favor." I told him as we walked back to our lockers. I took separate glances of him as we walked and noticed something underneath his eye. I stopped walking, causing him to stop also. "You have something there." I pointed at the spot with my index finger. 
 
He unwrapped his arm from my shoulder then covered his eye and wiped lightly. "Thanks for telling me."
 
"No problem. Now let me see if it's still there." I lightly grabbed his hand and pulled it down. "It's still there." I pointed out. 
 
"I'm sure it's nothing. Let's go." he tried pulling his hand out of my grip.
 
"Wait."I stood in front of him stubbornly and looked at what I saw under his eye. I wiped it softly with my sleeve and noticed what it was. He avoided my gaze, looking to the side. It was foundation. As I wiped off more, I noticed how underneath the foundation was dark. He had a black eye. "How'd you get this? Was it Jaebum?" Was I too late? Did Jay throw a punch before I interfered at lunch time?
 
He shook his head. "It wasn't him and it was an accident." he tried covering it up but I knew he was lying. How can you get a black eye by accident? 
 
"If it wasn't Jaebum then how'd you get it?" I looked at him suspiciously. 
 
"Don't worry about it, it's nothing serious." he smiled at me, eye-smiling too.
 
 
>>
 
Yukwon had somewhere to go so he had to go take a different bus. I sighed. I still don't know how he got that black eye. I think he has more bruises too. 
 
"That took you a while." 
 
I looked up as I stood at my bus stop and saw Jay. I completely ignored him and looked away. I'm still mad at him. What does he have against Yukwon? Then I remembered what Minhyuk told me. That girl at the open house... Wait a minute... I felt my bus pass fall on the floor. I quickly picked it back up as people around just gave me weird started for suddenly dropping it. 
 
-Flashback-
 
I grabbed my luggages and started bringing them to the moving truck parked outside. I looked to my left from the stairs I was walking down and saw people looking around the house. I can't believe we're moving. 
 
I got distracted and accidentally dropped one of the luggages on the front porch. 
 
"Damnit." I mumbled to myself as I tried to pick it back up until I saw someone else did. I looked up and saw a cute looking guy. 
 
"Need help?" he asked as he held it. 
 
I nodded, "Yes, please." 
 
He helped me place it in the truck. "Is there more or is that it?" 
 
I bit my lip, "There's more in the house but I can handle it. Thanks for the help." 
 
"I can help; I don't have anything else to do anyway."
 
I looked at him. Why is he here? He's too young to buy the house. 
 
"Fine." I guided the way. We walked up the stairs. "So what brings you here? There's no way you're here to buy the house."
 
He laughed. "Nope, my parents are. They just dragged me with them." 
 
"Ah I see." I picked up more boxes and he did the same. 
 
-End of flashback-
 
 
That guy was Yukwon?
 
That girl at the open house that Minhyuk was talking about... The one that made Jay hate Yukwon... That girl... Is me? I mentally facepalmed myself. How can I not remember? So Jay didn't have another girl...
 
"Are you getting on the bus? Or are you too mad at me that you're taking the next one?" I heard Jay ask me. 
 
I took a deep breath and got on the bus without taking a single glimpse of him. Pretty much giving him the cold shoulder. I took out my phone as I stood on the bus then remembered my missing keychain. Damnit, where did I drop it? It's not at home, I've checked too many times. If Jay found it, he would've confronted me about it by now, probably figuring out that I'm ______ and not Park Hyemi.
 
I should go back to the school; it might be in my locker... Well I hope it is.
 
>>
 
Jay's POV
 
Wow this girl is seriously still ignoring me? Taking Yukwon's side. I rolled my eyes, remembering what she did at lunch time. I took a peek at her; she looked so out of it. Probably tired. I guess it's been rough, tiring ever since the incident. I probably shouldn't give her such a hard time. I sighed. 
 
She pressed the button for the next stop before I did. She walked towards the door and waited. I waited behind her. As the bus stopped, she opened the door and stepped out. Not even waiting for me, she walked at a faster pace than usual. I walked behind her, letting her have a head start. She doesn't want to see me not talk to me. I noticed how cold it started to get and how dark it was. I blew lightly and saw my breath. I looked over at Hyemi, just in her school uniform. Not even the long sleeve. She clasped onto her arms, rubbing them for heat, as she shivered. 
 
I took off my varsity and caught up to her. I place my varsity on her, pretty much making her wear it. She gave a death glare. I ignored it, letting her be mad at me. She coldly shrugged it off but I catched it before it fell to the cold ground. 
 
"Just take it." I put it back on her stubbornly. 
 
She didn't reply after the second time. She accepted my varsity. She started walking faster again though.
 
I looked at her from the distance between us. It wasn't that far but it wasn't too close either. Again, I noticed her black roots showing. Her hair was swaying left to right after each step again. I wonder if L.Joe really has a chance with her, I thought to myself. I'm not even sure anymore because of Yukwon. I continued to observe her from afar. Just watching her walk back to my place with my varsity. Instead of Hyemi though, I just imagined her being _______. I smile immediately formed on my face. I stopped thinking and imagining since I'm only going to end up beating myself up over _______ again. 
 
I sighed, seeing my breath in this cold weather. 
 
I couldn't avoid it; I kept imagining it was her. 
 
I quietly laughed to myself, jokingly. 
 
"Imagine that's her."