Macaroon Shop

Thanks To Him

 

Your POV

"Lee Chaehee." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Mom... I suddenly felt weak. My breathing started feeling much heavier. I felt L.Joe wrap his arm around my shoulder. This stupid liar? This was all a bet? Me staying here? Pfft. I glared at him and roughly shook his arm off and stormed upstairs into Jay's guest room. I slammed the door behind me and sat down against it. 

No... _______ don't cry... You're stronger than this... 

First dad... And now mom... How can this be happening to me? NONE OF THIS WAS WORTH IT! Why did they have to borrow from these stupid loan sharks? IT'S ALL MY FAULT! 

I hugged my knees. My eyes still full of tears but I refused to let them fall. Unwillingly, they fell like waterfalls. I'm really... crying... I hate it. Why did things have to turn out this way? Why does this have to happen to me?

I heard knocking on my door but I never answered. 

"Hyemi-ah!" I heard L.Joe's voice call my name several times but I completely ignored his calls. 


Jay's POV

I watched L.Joe as he continued to knock on the door of the guest room where Hyemi locked herself in. 

"Hyemi-ah!" he called continuously. 

I sighed. Can't really blame her for being like this. I placed my hand on his shoulder. "Let her be, just for a while." I told him. 

His fist that was knocking on the door eventually fell to his sides. He sighed. "I should've told her earlier."

That's what I said. "It's too late for that now. Just give her some time to cool down. Go downstairs." 

L.Joe just looked at me. I never saw him with that kind of expression. I patted his back and made him go downstairs to the main floor. I saw him sink in the couch and let out a big sigh. 

I went back upstairs to get my wallet from my room but then I heard sniffling. I bit my lip and ignored it then quickly grabbed my wallet. As I was making my way to the stairs, I heard it again but it was much louder. Maybe I should go see her...

I knocked on the door and she stopped. I turned the handle and easily opened the door. Why didn't L.Joe think of this? Good job L.Joe. 

I saw her jump on the bed and hide under her sheets.

"Hyemi-ah." I called out. 

"Go away." she said in a cold tone. I sighed. I sat on the bed beside her. "I said go away!" her voice slightly cracked. She tried pushing me off the bed but she had no chance. 

"L.Joe wanted to tell you sooner. He really wanted to, he just didn't know how. I didn't know how either." 

"Go away!" she continued to try to push me but I resisted. 

"We know you had the right to know but we just didn't know." I continued to talk to her. 

She poked her head out of the blanket but completely avoided my gaze. Her eyes were red and puffy. It was still noticeable behind her black framed glasses. 

I looked away since I felt pretty uncomfortable seeing a girl like that. "You knew something?" she suddenly asked.

That caught me off guard. "Well uh..."

"What did you know?" she suspiciously asked me. 

Should I tell her? I wasn't the one that witnessed it... I paused. "When you were with L.Joe, something happened when he was bringing you home to get a different set of clothes for the date thing from school."

"You mean the Halloween prize?" she asked as she wiped her eyes. 

I nodded. "Yeah, for some reason, you don't remember any of it when L.Joe asked you about it." I looked at her and saw her confused expression. 

She tilted her head to the side. "I remember being on the bus but not being at my house." she said as she scratched her head. 

She still doesn't remember? I sighed. Same as ______... I guess it's more common than I thought. "Oh well." I stood up. "Do you still want to go out for breakfast? None of us ate yet." I asked her since she changed when I said we were going. 

She sighed and shook her head. "I just need some time to alone. You guys can go." 

I nodded. It's amazing how she's so calm now. Strong girl. "Let us know if you need anything. We'll be downstairs." I closed the door as I left. I walked downstairs and saw L.Joe looking inside the fridge.

"There's nothing to eat." he said as he turned his head towards me. 

"Yeah, I noticed that earlier." I grabbed my jacket and put it on. "I think I'll go buy groceries." 

He closed the fridge. "Oh," he nodded, "okay. I'll stay, just in case Hyemi needs anything." he looked to the side and crossed his arms. 

I walked out the house and walked to the grocery store near my house. 


I checked the time and it was already 1. That was fast. I called L.Joe to ask if he or Hyemi wanted anything as I walked by a few stores. 

"Yah, Byunghun-ah... Why aren't you answering your phone?" I said as I continued to wait while the never ending ringing continued. I finally gave up and put my phone back in my pocket. 

I held the grocery bags tightly as I continued to walk home. A door to a store randomly opened and a couple walked out with small boxes. 

I've seen those before...I stopped in front of the store and saw the macaroon shop. I looked inside from the window. It still looked the same, but slightly nicer than it used to. 

-Flashback-

I held the umbrella between both of us as we walked around. She held on my arm tightly with a gloomy expression on her face. 

"Yah, _______, what's wrong?" I asked her. 

She forced out a smile but it looked so real. "I'm fine, just tired." Her eyes smiled at me. 

Maybe it's just me. "Probably the rain having an effect on your mood." I chuckled. 

She nodded and smiled then held on my arm tighter. 

Whenever I'd take a peek at her, she'd have her gloomy expression again. Something is up...

I looked around to see if there was a pastry shop near. To my surprise, a macaroon store was right beside us. 

I stopped walking and looked inside. She gave me a confused look. "Maybe this will cheer you up!" I dragged her inside the macaroon shop. 


-End of Flashback-

I shook my head. It's been a while, hasn't it? I sighed and stepped inside the store. I looked at the different flavors available. What kind of flavor would they want?

"I want the blueberry one!" a girl's voice spoke in such a delighted tone. I looked around to see no one besides me and the worker. 

"Whoa, there are so many flavors! I want a blueberry one and a chocolate one." her voice continued to speak. It's her voice... The same exact words she said. Why do I still remember? I shook away those thoughts. 

Maybe it was a bad idea coming here. I ordered some macaroons for L.Joe, Hyemi and I. I got the flavors that she wanted, hopefully Hyemi likes it too. I quickly payed and walked out. 

I hope these will make her feel better... It worked for her.


Your POV

I scrunched my nose at the sound of my phone ringing. I grabbed my phone and answered. "Hello?"

"Hyemi?" a guy's voice worriedly asked. 

"Yeah, that's me." I answered, half asleep. 

"It's Yukwon. I just wanted to know if you wanted to come meet us at the cafe near Zico's house. We're just grabbing a bite to eat." he explained. 

I wasn't in the best state to go out. I feel bad for ditching for the second time. First it was yesterday and now today. I sighed, "I don't think I can make it today. I have stuff to do..." I lied. I knew if I told him what happened, he'd tell Sierra. Then Sierra would confront me about everything. I think it's best if none of them knows. 

"Oh, really?" I could hear a different tone in that phrase. I bit my lip. "I guess I'll see you at school on Monday then. Bye bye." 

"Bye bye." we both hung up. 

I sank my face into my pillow. I heard knocking on my door so I quickly went back under my sheets. "Go away." I told him as I heard the door open. I felt the bed move meaning he was now on the bed too.

"Uhh, I got you these. I don't know if you'll like them." I recognized L.Joe's voice. I then felt him get off the bed. "I understand that you don't want to see me right now so I'll just leave these here." I took a peek from my blanket and saw him place a box on the side table beside my bed. I watched him leave and carefully close the door.

I got out of my blanket and took the box. Oh... Macaroons. I sat up and carefully opened it. L.Joe got these for me? How'd he manage to get my favorite flavors? I still remember how Jay treated me macaroons when I wasn't in the best mood. I noticed a small note on the lid. I unfolded it. 

'Hi Hyemi ><, I knew you wouldn't talk to me when I brought these in so I decided to make this little note. I'm truly sorry for not telling you sooner. You deserved to know the truth; I just didn't know things would get out of hand.'

I flipped the paper over to the other side. 

'I hope that you can forgive me. L.Joe.'

Reading this made me feel bad for being so cold to him. I can't believe I put my anger on him. None of it was his fault... Now I understand why I'm at Jay's place... It has nothing to do with this so called bet, does it? I took a chocolate macaroon and took a bite as I stared at the note. 

"I forgive you L.Joe."


Jay's POV

"Why'd you want me to say that I was the one that bought them?" He asked me as he sat next to me on the couch. "Does it make a difference?"

"I'm helping you with the girl you like." I told him.

"Oh, right." He let out a smile. "Thanks Jay." 

"And..." I paused. He just looked at me with a confused look. "Ricky told me about you... not knowing how to comfort a girl." I laughed.

He simply pouted. 

"It's okay." I patted his shoulder. "Seeing you like this, actually serious about a girl. I'm proud of you." It was about time he sticks to one girl. 

He chuckled and scratched the back of his head. "Yeap." he nodded. 


Yukwon's POV

I got to the cafe and saw the whole group already there. Minhyuk waved and I sat down at the table. 

"Hyemi didn't come with you?" P.O asked curiously. 

I shook my head. "She's busy today so she couldn't make it." I explained to him. 

"Things have been different ever since that Halloween date. Don't you guys think?" Jaehyo suddenly pointed out. 

Everyone just looked at him.

"Do you think something happened?" P.O asked the group with a clueless expression. 

"Didn't L.Joe say something about a kiss last gym class?" Kyung mentioned. Yeah... I remember that. 

It got quiet.

"Guys it's not true. Hyemi kept denying it. And it's not like they're on good terms anyway." Minhyuk mentioned and looked at me. Actually, they all looked at me. 

I looked at all of them. "...What?"

"How is everything going between you and Hyemi?" P.O asked with a giant smile on his face.

"Someone's blushing." Taeil said with a grin on his face. 


Your POV

I woke up again from another nap. I looked at the time. 1:07am. I'm thirsty... I got off my bed and when out my room quietly to make sure I don't wake up Jay. I tiptoed my way to the stairs but then the door to Jay's room opened. I froze. Why is he still awake?

He rubbed his eyes then squinted at me. "Still awake too?"

I bit my lip and nodded. 

He stretched then walked up to me. "Why are you up so late?" he asked. He didn't look tired at all. 

"Uhm, I'm thirsty." I told him. "You?" 

"Same thing. I'll get you a glass of water, you can go back to your room." he said as he started to walk down the stairs but I followed him. He just gave me this look. 

"I might not be in the best state right now but I can get a glass by myself." I started rushing down the stairs. I don't even know why. 

I felt Jay catch me as I missed a step.

"Be careful. Even though you're trying to look okay, it doesn't mean you're not going to be the clumsy girl you are." Jay simply said as he walked me down the rest of the steps with his arm around my shoulder and a slight smile on his face. 

I looked down, embarassed. It’s been a while since he's done this... his arms wrapped around my shoulders... feels different. 

He let go as we walked to the kitchen. He filled up a glass and handed it to me. 

"Thanks." I slightly bowed my head. I turned around to go back to my room but noticed something on the couch. I walk closer as noticed L.Joe sleeping. "You're still here?" I whispered without expecting a response. 

"Yeah. He's really worried about you." Jay's voice spoke behind me. He leaned against the other couch. 

I sighed after he said that and looked back at L.Joe. 


Jay's POV

I looked at her sigh as she looked at L.Joe sleep. She brushed her hair back. I noticed her black roots showing. It really showed because her dyed hair was light brown. "Your uh..." she turned to me with a confused expression. Not the best timing. "Nevermind." I took out my phone from my pocket.

I felt her stare right on me once I took out my phone. I looked up at her but she just continued to stare at my phone. "Hmm?" 

Her eyes slightly moved side to side and I noticed that she wasn't looking at my phone. She was looking at the swaying keychain attached to it. 

I chuckled. "It's nice, isn't it?" I said as I looked at it myself.

She shook her head once I asked. "Uhm, yeah." she said and nodded hesitantly. 

I slightly smiled unconsciously. 

"That keychain..." she trailed off. “It means a lot to you?" 

I blinked a few time, caught off by her question and thought about it. I guess me still having it means 'yes'. "Uh, yeah. How do you know?" I raised an eyebrow at her. 

"Oh, well uh... It looks customized so I figured..." she looked down as she scratched her head. 

Why is she so awkward now? "Oh... Well it is custom made." I told her but her head was still down. Did she feel awkward when I answered that it meant a lot to me? "You don't have to feel awkward for any reason." she looked up at me when I said that. "I don't mind talking about it."


Your POV

Oh my god. I mentally facepalmed. Why did I even mention his keychain? This might blow my cover. 

"I don't mind talking about it." he drank from his glass and looked at L.Joe. 

"Oh, well I'm going to try to sleep." I said and carefully stood up. 

"Yeah me too." he got up too and we walked up the stairs. 

I stopped once we got upstairs but he continued to walk to his room. "Uhm." I blurted out. 

Jay turned around and waited for me to say something. "Thanks."

He smiled. "Anything for L.Joe's girl." 

I smiled back. "Good night."

He went inside his room and I did the same. 

'L.Joe's girl'... I said, leaning my back against the wall and slowly sliding my way to the ground.

I used to be your girl... 

I can't believe you still don't recognize me...