Close One

Thanks To Him

 Jay's POV

I held on to the keychain tightly. All the gems were still intact and still there. "________" I said quietly as my eyes kept looking at her keychain. Half a smile formed on my face, feeling bittersweet about what I just discovered. Jealousy... I didn't want to admit it, but it was a reality that I'm feeling. I sighed. 

I heard the sound of car doors opening and closing loudly. I turned around and saw them parked in the parking lot and on the street in front of the school again. "Hyemi!" I said, under breathe, quietly. I mean _______. I facepalmed my face and made my way towards the back door as fast as I could. 


Your POV

I never thought I'd really lose it. I facepalmed my face. Whenever it'd fall off, Ricky would always find it for me. I should've been more careful then I'd still have it. The only thing I have from Jay left. Now gone... 

I suddenly started hearing footsteps echoing throughout the school... Where were they coming from? I looked left and right but no sign of anyone yet the footsteps got louder as seconds passed. Simple walking turned into running. 

The next think I knew, someone grabbed onto my wrist and I started running too. Everything was happening so fast that I didn't even get to see the person's face. All I know is that it was a guy. The back of his head also looked so familiar but it was blurry as we ran. I looked behind to see what we were running from. Oh ... I looked back at the guy holding tightly my hand and bringing me to safety. Where'd he come from? Why is he helping me?

", we're running out of places to run. They're going to catch us eventually." the guy said, almost out of breathe. He sounds tired, exhausted. I felt bad. Whoever this guy was, I was thankful. Thankful that there's still someone that's able to help me with these guys. I just hope that I won't put him in danger too... He suddenly, rapidly turned a corner. We went inside a classroom. It was a science class. He closed the door shut and pulled me inside a closet in the classroom. It was dark for a while. I don't even know how long we stood in there. 

"Why ar-"

"Shh." he immediately commanded. 

I nodded even though he couldn't see me. I heard the loud footsteps running in the hallways. There was clearly more than two people out there. I felt the goose bumps on my arms. 

Once the sound of running was long gone, the light in the closet flashed open as I heard a click sound. My eyes fluttered at the light until I was able to see... See Jay standing right in front of me. He was out of breath just looking at me. 

"J-Jaebum... What're you doing here?" I asked, completely shocked by his presence. Why was he at school at this time? 

He continued to look straight at me, still trying to catch his breath. He bit his lip, looking frustrated. His hand gripped on to his hair and as he pushed it backwards. Still didn't say a single word. He chuckled while he gave me a cold look and looked away. "You're so dumb." he coldly said. 

I puckered my lips together and pouted. "Yah, it's not my fault. I didn't ask you to help." I crossed my arms, looking away. 

He sighed. 

"D-Do you think they're gone?" I hesitated to ask.

He looked at me with tense eyes. I bit my lip and looked away to avoid his piercing stare. 

"Sounds like they are but we can't be too sure. We should wait awhile in here. They might be waiting outside the school."

I sighed. "How long do you think we are going to be here?" I asked him, clueless. 

"I'll call L.Joe." he took out his phone from his pocket, still no keychain attached to his. I guess he didn't find his either. Should I tell him where it is?

"Hello?" I managed to hear L.Joe answer his phone through Jay's since we were pretty close thanks to this small closet. 

"It's Jay, we kinda..." Jay turned to me for a second then looked elsewhere, "We kinda need help right now." I listened to their conversation. 

"Are you with Hyemi?" 

Jay raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, how do you know?" 

"She wasn't answering her phone." 

I got my phone out of my pocket and saw two texts and two missed calls. I didn't have caller ID so I wasn't sure if he called me twice. The texts were from him though. 

"Oh," Jay simply nodded as he noticed the calls on my phone too.

"What do you need this time? Aren't you at school?"

"Yeah I am. Also... They're back. The people after Hyemi."

"What do you want me to do? I'm not that strong to take them all out by myself." 

I heard a loud punch against the lockers in the hallway and I accidentally, instantly, hugged Jay.


Author's POV

The loan sharks that roamed around the school to find Hyemi eventually started to get furious at how close they were to getting her. Out of frustration, one of them striked a punch on the lockers. 

_______ got caught off guard, scared by the sudden loud noise and grabbed on to the closest thing to her. Jay. 

Jay still on the phone, about to reply to L.Joe, but completely surprised by her hug, her embrace. Something that he hasn't felt in such a long time. The warmth she gave him. He shut the light back off since he knew that the noise came from this floor. He hugged her back with his free arm and held her tight, not knowing when the next time will be or if this is the last time he'll be able to hold her like this. 

"Jay?" L.Joe has been calling his name a few times, worried that something might have happened, but Jay only realized now. 

"Uhh, y-yeah. Or can you at least scout until they're gone?" 

"Okay, I'm on my way. I'll let you know. Just keep Hyemi safe, okay?"

"Okay."

They both hung up. Jay placed his phone back in his pocket and held Hyemi with both arms now. His heart was beating rapidly, racing like there's no tomorrow. _______ didn't seem to have notice though. She was feeling the exact same way though, she just wasn't saying anything. Her heart too, pounding like crazy. She buried her face in his chest, making best of her time with Jay. A smile hit Jay's face as the scent of her hair was still familiar to him. 

'How did I not notice from the start? A simple change of hair color and hairstyle. Dark rimmed frames mostly camouflaged you from me. Only the image of you from the last time I saw you stayed in my mind. I refused to let anyone compare to you. I've even helped my best friend with you... What am I supposed to do with him when I want you all to myself?' Jay sighed and thought to himself as he continued to enjoy the hug as much as she was. 'I guess I'm just glad you're back.'

'Do you still not remember me? Are you only comforting me because of L.Joe telling you to keep me safe? I might have put you in danger for this. If they saw your face, they might go after you too... This is why I didn't want you to know my real identity as ______... I knew they'd go after whoever is close to me and you were one of them, so were the rest of the guys and the rest of my family here too. I'm sorry for putting you in danger like this...' she thought to herself, sad thoughts filled her mind. 


L.Joe's POV


'What class are you in?' I texted Jay since Hyemi never answered. 

Almost instantly, he replied 'In your science class.

I stood at the bus stop as if I was waiting for the bus so I wouldn't look suspicious. I noticed the big people walking back to their vans. I checked the time and it was nearly 9 o'clock. Wow it's kinda late.

I heard the engines of their cars turn on. They quickly drove off the school property and poof. They were gone. I ran straight to the back door and went inside the school. I looked around carefully as I made my way up to science class, making sure that there wasn't anyone watching. Once I was in front of the door, I opened it trying not to make any sound but it creaked, that annoying sound. I clenched my teeth, looking over my shoulder and quickly entered the class. Everything was off and it was dark. Even outside. The moon was already out, shining as bright as ever. 


Author's POV

Jay kept his calm as he heard footsteps after he heard the classroom door open. He took a deep breath and looked at _______ who was sleeping on his shoulder calmly, completely oblivious of the footsteps coming near them. Jay's arm stayed securely around her shoulder. 

The door of the closet creaked slowly as it was opening but he let out a breath of relief seeing L.Joe. 

"Looks like you guys have been here for a while." he said as he flicked the light switch on. "From what I saw, they left so we should be fine getting out of the school now." 

Jay nodded and got up, pulling her up with him too. "I guess I'll bring her home now."

"Do you guys need a lift?" L.Joe asked, looking at Jay since ______ was half asleep. 

"I guess that'd be easier." he replied. 


>>

Jay's POV


"Can I just come in for a glass of water? I'm so thirsty; I've been waiting outside for a while." L.Joe asked from the front seat. 

"Sure." I said as I woke up ______ by nudging her arm lightly. She squinted her eyes at me and looked around. She raised an eyebrow at me. "We're here." I told her and opened the car door. 

She stretched her arms out then followed me outside the car and straight to the door. I unlocked the door and let them both in. 

"Oh honey you're finally home!" my mom's voice happily resonated. 

Damnit, I forgot they were coming home today. I looked at _______ and she didn't even realized, probably because she was really tired. I looked at L.Joe; he was caught off guard too. He looked back at me. 'Bring her upstairs.' I mouthed. He nodded and wrapped his arm around her shoulder but then mom came to the door. . 

"Oh, Byunghun! It's been so long!" she practically sang but then she looked at ______. "Oh, is this your girlfriend." she said, in a different tone, still smiling. 

I hesitated at the word. Girlfriend. I clenched my teeth, waiting for L.Joe's answer. From the corner of my eye, I saw him nod with a confident smile. 

"Is this real this time?" mom joked, knowing about his past relationships. 

"I'm sure. She's a keeper." L.Joe's words hit me. 

Pft, 'keeper'. You can barely keep her or any girl. "Weren't you here for a glass of water? I'll get it for you." I said, annoyed as I squeezed through the doorframe and mom who was blocking the way to get his stupid glass of water. 

"Jay you're so kind. Please come in you two."

I poured him a glass of water and saw mom sit them in the living room. I observed them from the kitchen, _______ she was half asleep but she still answered mom's questions with a simple nod. I walked in the living room. "We have school tomorrow, shouldn't you be leaving? It's getting pretty late."

L.Joe looked up at me, slight confusion in his eyes. I noticed his arm still around her, but her waist this time. I'm so close to crushing this glass with my bare hand. "Yeah I should get going." he said, getting up with ______. I rolled my eyes. I gave him the cup and he chugged it down then handed me the glass. "Thank you."

I followed as he walked back to the door. 

"Get home safely you two!" mom yelled from the kitchen. 

The three of us stepped outside and closed the door so mom couldn't hear. ______ was pretty much sleeping on L.Joe's shoulder now. 

"Well I'm leaving now. Hyemi," he said softly as he looked at her to wake her. "Goodnight guys." he left. Surprisingly his lift was already parked in front my house. I waved as they drove off. 

I turned my attention to Hyemi. I mean ______. I facepalmed my face. I couldn't leave her out here, but what am I going to tell my parents? I decided to just let her stay, but in my room. For sure my parents might go to the guest room. I opened the door, making sure I wouldn't get caught letting her stay here. Luckily my mom was still in the kitchen. As for my dad... Had no idea where he was. Probably in his room. I tried making her more awake so I wouldn't have to drag her. "Yah," I whispered as I made eye contact. Well at least trying. It was pretty hard since her eyes were half closed. "Yah, Hyemi. Wake up." she just nodded, waiting for me to reply. "You have to stay in my room tonight, okay? My parents don't know and can't know you're staying here." 

"Arrasseo~!" she sang pretty loudly with her eyes closed. I covered . Thank god my mom was watching one of her Asian dramas on TV from the kitchen. 

I guided her upstairs as quickly as possible. 

"Jay!" 

I tripped on a step and accidentally pushed Hyemi. She made her way to my room and closed the door shut. I let out a sigh of relief, "Yeah?"

"Can you come down here for a while? There's something I want to ask you." she said. 

I always get nervous when people tell me that but it was my mom so it shouldn't be that bad, right? I ran back downstairs and joined her in the kitchen. "Yeah, mom?"

"I hope you don't get upset but uhm," she sort of hesitated. Thinking twice of what she was trying to say which made me curious. "L.Joe's girlfriend... Isn't that ______? She looks different though. I didn't know she had glasses."

I froze. Wow even my mom can notice that it's her. I sat down at the dinner table and pretty much face-desked. Ow, I mouthed, leaving my head, just lying there on the table. 

"Is it her? I might be wrong, but they really do look alike if it's not her. They can pass for twins." 

"It's her."

"Really? But she's L.Joe's girlfriend now."

"I know mom." 

"Isn't it weird that your best friend is going out with the girl you like?" she simply asked. 

How does she know? "Pfft, I don't like her."

"Anymore?" 

"It's nothing mom. L.Joe lied, she's not his girlfriend. I don't know what he's talking about." I said as I stood up. "I'm going to sleep, goodnight mom." 

I got back to my room and saw her sleeping on my bed using her sweater as a blanket, taking the least space possible. I took my blanket and placed it on her to keep her from being cold. "_______." I watched her sleep soundlessly. Not in a creepy way though. "What exactly is your reason for all this?"


>>

Your POV

I stretched, eyes closed but fell off my bed. Landing on... What I thought would be the floor. My eyes widened as I met up with a grumpy Jay, glaring at me for waking him up and landing on him. I quickly rolled off him and positioned myself in a ball. What the hell?! Why is he in my room?! This is a dream. It has to be a dream. I looked at him and saw him rub his eyes. It's a dream. I poked his cheek and his head turned to me. 

"What?" he coldly said. 

I ignored him and patted his hair. I don't even know why but it was so soft. He looked at me with wide eyes. I pinched his cheeks. ... This feels too real. I rolled away facing the other side so I wouldn't have to look at him. 

"What was that about?"

"N-nothing."

I slapped myself. 

"You're weird." I heard him get up and went straight to the washroom. 

I got up too and noticed I was in Jay's room. Why am I...? I went out and waited by the washroom. I knocked since he was taking a while.

I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. Isn't Jay in the bathroom? I tilted my head to the side and was about to knock but the door swung open and I got pulled inside. Pulled into a hug. I heard the door close behind me. 

"That was close." I heard him say. 

"What wa-"

He covered my mouth with his free hand. 

"Jay do you want me to bring you to school? I can drop you off on the way to the grocery store."

My eyes widened. It's his mom. When did his parents get back home? 

"It's fine. You can go now. I usually take the bus anyway." Jay replied. 

"There's breakfast on the table. I'll see you later." she said then went downstairs. 

Jay was still covering my mouth so I pushed his hand away then I noticed... He was topless. I was about to scream but he covered my mouth so he blocked most of my scream. Minimizing the sound. 

I turned around. "C-Can you put on a shirt?"

"It's not like you've never seen m-. Uh, yeah. I was going to shower though." 

"Not with me in here you won't." I warned him, still not facing him. 

"Yeah or else your BOYFRIEND is going to scold me, right? You can go lock yourself in my room now."

What's with his random attitude? Irritated, I left the bathroom coldly. Slammed the door on him and went to his room where I was now staying. 


>>

We went to the bus stop a little earlier than usual and I got to see Yukwon. I went to him and put both of my hands on his shoulders to surprise him. He turned and took out one of his earphones with a bright smile making me smile back at him. 

"Hey, haven't seen you here in a while." he gave me a hug and I hugged him back. 

"Yeah." I said awkwardly, hoping he didn't notice me walking here with Jay. "It'll be like old times, haha." 

His eyes sparkled and he put his arm securely around my shoulder. "Nice to know." 

I noticed Jay from the corner of my eye just staring. Well more like glaring at Yukwon. Good thing he didn't notice. 

"You ready for the exams?" he asked me. 

"What exams?"

"Well we have one this Friday," he tilted his head. "You didn't know?"

I shook my head. "I need to study then..."

"Want to study after school? You can come to my place or we can go to your-"

"Your place is fine!" I panicked. I heard Jay chuckle, amused. Pfft. Knowing that Yukwon couldn't go to 'my' place since you know... Yeah. 

He was surprised by my sudden answer. "Oh okay. Sounds good."

Quickly after that, I received a text. I took my phone out of my pocket and saw a text from Jay. I hid it from Yukwon without making it too obvious.

I'll check read it after we got on the bus since it was here. After scanning our bus passes, we went towards the back. Jay and I were back to back. 

'You're busy today, you can't go.' I read his text. 

'I am? And how would you know?' I texted him back. 

'We're celebrating L.Joe's birthday today. I'm assuming that he wants you to be there.'


Author's POV

______ pouted but surprised by his text. Was it really L.Joe's birthday soon? She thought to herself. She poked Yukwon's shoulder to get his attention. 

"Hmm?" 

"Uhh, on second thought... I can't go today. I forgot that I had something planned today." she bit her lip, regretting for putting his hopes up. 

"Oh, chinchayo? I guess we can move it to tomorrow. Unless you're busy again."

Jay was secretly listening to their conversation. 

"Well uhm..." she irritatedly turned to Jay. 


Vibe vibe. She picked up her phone and saw another text from Jay. 

'Tell him you're busy tomorrow too.'

She turned around to glare at him but he wasn't looking. Jay was smirking as he looked out the window. She kicked the back of his leg with the heel of her foot. Jay turned and saw her giggling to herself. 

"I think I might be busy tomorrow too." she said apologetically, then glared at Jay again. 

Yukwon getting a hint that she didn't want to study with him or something. Little did he know that it was Jay that was telling her that she couldn't go. 

'How bout the day after? Can I go?' she texted him, hoping for a 'yes'. 

'Fine.' he quickly replied back. Already regretting it. 

"I can go the day after!" she said excitedly. "If that's okay, that is." she pouted as she saw Yukwon's expression. 

His face lightened up though when she said that. "Sure! We just have to study harder since our exam is the day after." he smiled. 


Your POV

The bus finally stopped and I waited for everyone in front of me to get out. I looked slightly behind and noticed both, Jay and Yukwon, we're behind me. I hope they don't fight again. As I was getting off the bus, I felt someone push me so I tripped and almost fell forward but someone catched me and the next thing I knew... 

My lips...

Met with someone else's...

My eyes were shut at first, as a reflex, but I couldn't let this guy... Whoever this was. I opened my eyes and saw...

What the...