First Date

Thanks To Him

 

Jay's POV
 
I passed by a hallway and saw Ricky at his locker. He wasn't really getting anything; he was just holding on to his lock and looking over to the other side. I looked behind him and saw L with a girl. Oh, no surprise there. 
 
I walked up to the cafeteria and sat down with the rest of the guys. Two of them were missing. Ricky was still at his locker but L.Joe was gone too. 
 
I played around with my phone on the table then decided to ask them. "So where's L.Joe?"
 
"We thought you would know." Changjo replied. 
 
I shook my head, not knowing where he is. Then again, he might be with Hyemi. Oh, why didn't I think of that in the first place? I looked over to the usual table she sits at but she wasn't there either. So maybe he is with her. 
 
Chunji was texting on his phone but he still answered to my question. "Last thing I heard, he was going to the Principal's office." he put his phone down. "He didn't say why though."
 
Or not. Why would he even go? His relationship with his dad isn't the best one out there. Unless his dad was the one to call him. Then where's Hyemi? She's been doing surprisingly well lately. Or she's just really good at hiding it. 
 
 
Your POV
 
After school. 
 
Okay, I should go tell him. Even though he's such a dog for almost making me wear that small fitted uniform. I stood in front of my locker, just waiting for him to appear around the corner. 
 
Where is he? Now that I think of it, I haven't seen him the whole day. 
 
I tried calling his phone but no luck. That's weird. Maybe I should call Jay, maybe he would know. I opened my contacts on my phone and hesitantly pressed the 'call' button. 
 
“Hello?"
 
He answers so quick. Unlike L.Joe. "Hi, it's Hyemi. Do you know where L.Joe is?" 
 
"Yeah, he's here with me. How'd you get my number?" he suddenly asked. 
 
Oh snap. I just realized that he still has the same number. "Uh, L.Joe gave it to me." I blurted out, biting my lip hoping he'd believe me. 
 
"Oh. We're outside so just meet us out here."
 
 
L.Joe's POV
 
"Looks like someone's in trouble." Jay pointed out as he nodded his head towards the street in front of our school. 
 
"What do you mean?" I looked over and saw the same black vans from last time. "Oh ." I took out my phone and immediately called Hyemi to make sure she doesn't go outside. 
 
"What's up? I'm right here." I heard Hyemi ask behind me, completely clueless about the black vans parked.
 
"We have to go." I told them both, Jay and Hyemi. I pulled them quickly back inside the school. 
 
"Where are we going?" she asked, looking back as I guided them towards the backdoor. Her expression was filled with worry.
 
"Is it the same people?" Jay asked, also looking back to make sure they didn't notice. 
 
I looked out the window of the back door and saw more vans parked. . They're surrounding the school. "It's the same vans. They're around the whole
school."
 
"What vans?" Hyemi asked. I can't believe she still doesn't remember what happened. 
 
"The one from last time. The people that took -" I don't want to remind her. 
 
She went up to the window and looked outside. Her eyes widened and fell open. "Oh my god, it's them again..." she said, looking terrified. 
 
Again? So she does remember? "You remember them?" She froze at my question. "Are you okay?" 
 
 
Your POV
 
Oh my god... You can't be serious. Are they after me now? What can they possibly take away from me? They already took my parents away from me. Isn't that enough? Of course, nothing is enough for those greedy bastards. 
 
I took another peek out the window and they were still there. Damnit. I bit my lip and looked at Jay and L.Joe. If they get seen with me, they might be in danger too. "You guys can leave." I told both of them. 
 
"Are you kidding? We're not leaving you here alone." L.Joe said so confidently that I felt some warmth from him. "Let's just wait till they all leave. Let's go wait upstairs in the gym."
 
"But..." Maybe he's right. They'll leave if they notice I'm not at school. I nodded in agreement, "Okay."
 
We all went up to the gym and sat down on the bleachers. 
 
What should I do? They're just going to continue coming here every day after school. Should I change schools? 
 
"Hyemi." L.Joe poked my arm and looked at me. I just gave him a look and waited for him to say something. "Why are these people after you? The only time
I've seen situations like this was on TV." Jay also looked at me, probably wanting to know too. 
 
"If I tell you guys, you're not allowed to do anything about it, okay?" I looked at them carefully. 
 
"Are you kidding? Not do anything about it? Why would I agree to that?" L.Joe scoffed and rolled his eyes. "What are those people? Loan sharks?"
 
I bit my lip and changed my mind about telling them. "They're nothing, I'll deal with them. You don't have to worry about anything." I told them even though I had no idea what I'm going to do about them. 
 
"They're leaving." I heard Jay say while he stood by a window. I went over to him and saw the vans finally drive off. 
 
I let out a breath of relief. "They're going to be back though..." I mumbled to myself. 
 
"Hello?" L.Joe suddenly said. I turned around and saw him on the phone. "I just missed the bus. YOU WHAT?!"
 
I flinched at his sudden loudness. I looked over to Jay and he just shrugged. 
 
"Dad, I don't know if you noticed, but I haven't been like that lately. And what makes you think that this person is not like all the other ones?" he looked
flustered. "I don't care, I'm not going." he roughly hanged up. He brushed his fringe back out of frustration. 
 
Jay and I just looked away awkwardly, pretending that we weren't listening to his phone call. Well just L.Joe's side of the conversation. 
 
His phone started ringing again. He sighed and answered. "Yeah?" he answered. "I thought you didn't want me to even have one. Didn't you say that it's
going to affect my grades?"
 
I can't help but wonder what they're talking about. Oh well, I have other things to worry about. 
 
"Are you threatening me right now?" he asked in disbelief. He chuckled. "Fine. Just once. Bye." he ruffled his hair this time. 
 
"What's up?" Jay simply asked L.Joe. 
 
L.Joe looked at me for a second then back at Jay. "I need to go home. Are you two going to be okay going home?"
 
I looked at Jay. "Yeah, I'll take care of her. Go do whatever you have to do."
 
L.Joe just smirked. "Yeah okay. See ya." he was about to leave but he turned back to me. "Bye Hyemi." he smiled at me before he left. 
 
I heard Jay chuckle, "Wow." 
 
"Hmm? What?" I asked him. 
 
"Nothing." he started making his way downstairs. I followed. 
 
What was that for?
 
 
Author's POV
 
Yukwon got off the bus alone. It’s been like that ever since ______ starting staying over at her aunt's house. Well, that’s what Yukwon thought. The only
people that knew that Hyemi was staying over at Jay's house were L.Joe and Jay. 
 
As he was about to cross the street, a bunch of cars start speeding down his street. 
 
Once he finally got home, he noticed the same cars that were speeding earlier parked in front of his neighbor's house. The house that Hyemi used to stay
at. The vans seemed more familiar to him than just the cars that were speeding earlier. 
 
As he walked unlocking the door, loud shouts were heard. He wondered why and remembered his mom telling him about a similar situation happening
 
earlier this week. He shrugged but then he got a phone call. 
 
"Hello?" he answered, still standing in front of his house looking at his neighbor's front porch. 
 
"Hey, it's Minhyuk. We're going to the cafe now so if you want to reach, come. Call Hyemi. Ask her if she want to come too."
 
"Okay, I'll see you guys there." Yukwon was about to hang up but then he remembered something he wanted to ask. "Oh wait, Minhyuk."
 
"Yeah?" 
 
He looked over and the vans were still there. "Do you remember what Zico was saying about those black vans after school?" He asked and saw a guy leave
the house and looked my way so he looked away. 
 
"Uhh, yeah. He said that people came out of those vans and started asking people if they knew someone."
 
So it was exactly what his mom was thinking. "Uhm, okay."
 
"Why do you ask?" he asked suddenly. 
 
"Just wondering. Anyways, I'll see you guys there." He hanged up and walked off his front porch. 
 
From one of the vans, a well-build figure stood there and eyed Yukwon down. To him, he looked pretty suspicious. He noticed him on the phone earlier so
he thinks that he knows something about the girl they're looking for. In other words, Hyemi. 
 
Yukwon sent a text to Hyemi asking if she wanted to come to the cafe too. 
 
'Meet me at the bus stop if you want to go to the cafe with the others. The bus comes in 15 minutes. Bye bye ^^"' he smiled as he read it one more time then
pressed the 'send' button. 
 
Completely clueless that the big figure was walking towards Yukwon, he walked normally back to his bus stop to meet up with the others. 
 
Suddenly, he grabbed Yukwon's wrist roughly and pulled him back. Completely caught off guard, Yukwon can't help but freeze. 
 
"Do you know this girl?" the guy held up a picture of Hyemi and waited for an answer from Yukwon. 
 
Yukwon squinted as he tried to look at the picture. He didn't seem to recognize Hyemi though. "N-no." he answered. 
 
Another guy who looks like a bodyguard joins them. Yukwon tried shaking off the grip of the guy but then he got punched right on his rib cage causing him to
wince in pain. 
 
"Do you think we're dumb? We're going to ask you again. Do you know this girl?" he shoved the picture in his face. Yukwon just shook his head since he
really didn't know it was Hyemi since she looks different in the picture. 
 
The loan sharks, not satisfied with their answer from Yukwon, started to throws punches at him. 
 
 
Your POV
 
I grabbed my wallet and phone and ran down the stairs. I hastily put on my vans. 
 
"Where do you think you're going?" I saw Jay stand against the staircase with his arms crossed. 
 
"Uh, out. Bye!" I opened the door but then he pushed it back closed. Damn he's fast. "...Yes?" I turned around and saw the look on his face. I gave him an
innocent smile. 
 
"You're really planning to go out when you clearly know that they're looking or you. You're pretty dumb." he said and walked upstairs to his room. 
 
He's right but I haven't gone out with them in a while. I walked out the door and checked my pockets for the spare key Jay gave to me to lock the door. I slid it inside the lock but then the door open and a sweater landed on my face. 
 
"Take this with you." I heard Jay say. I took off his black varsity/hoodie off my face and looked at him. "It might get cold later."
 
So thoughtful. "Oh, thanks." I smiled as I held on tight to his varsity. 
 
He nodded. "Be careful, okay?" I nodded back, still smiling. "I don't want L.Joe to kill me if anything happens to you."
 
He mentioned L.Joe again... As a reflex, I felt my smile fade. "I'll be careful; you can go back inside now." I waved goodbye and started walking to the bus
stop. 
 
 
I stood by the stop light waiting for it to give me the sign to cross. It finally flashed and I crossed the street. I looked towards the bus stop but Yukwon wasn't there. Hmm, that's weird. Where is he? I stood beside the bus stop and checked the time. Maybe I missed the bus and he's already there. 
 
The bus arrived a lot sooner than I thought but still no sign of him. I hesitantly got on the bus hoping he'd pop out of nowhere to surprise me but nope. I got
on the bus and sighed as I scanned my bus pass. 
 
Maybe he is already there. 
 
 
L.Joe's POV
 
I hope she's okay...
 
I finally got home and unlocked the door only to be greeted by my dad.
 
"Finally! You're home." a grin swiped across his face as he welcomed me inside the house. 
 
Seriously putting up a different persona when someone is over? Unbelievable. Oh, what am I saying? Really believable. 
 
"Where is she?" I boldly asked. I want to get over with this already. 
 
"Put your stuff in your room then come back." 
 
I did as he said and dropped my backpack near my desk then went back downstairs. 
 
"Byunghun, this is Taeyeon." my dad said. 
 
I looked up and saw a girl with flowing light brown hair, just like Hyemi. Her eyes were defined with very light makeup but was still noticeable. She looked
innocently at me with a shy smile. 
 
"She's an honor student." My dad added. 
 
Yeah, because that's supposed to impress me. And pfft, I'm an honor student too. You sound more proud of her than you are of me. 
 
"Taeyeon, this is my son. Byunghun."
 
Her eyes smiled at me and her cheeks shaded to a soft pink tone. "Nice to meet you, Byunghun." she held out her hand, surprisingly with no hesitation at all. 
 
I shook her soft hands and shot a smile at her just to please my dad. "Nice to meet you too."
 
"I guess I'll leave you two alone." my dad said, pleased, and walked over to me. He placed a hand on my shoulder. "You better not screw things up with this
girl." he whispered and grinned. 
 
I rolled my eyes and shrugged his hand off me. "We'll see." I walked pass her towards the dining area. She simply followed. 
 
 
Authors POV
 
"Oh, I just got a text from Yukwon!" _____ exclaimed as she looked at her phone. 
 
"Is he still coming? He's an hour late." P.O said while mixing his hot chocolate. 
 
_______ read the text. "He said he's going to be here soon." she told the rest as she replies back to his text. 
 
A few minutes later, Yukwon finally arrived. None of them knew of what happened earlier with the loan sharks. 
 
"Finally, where have you been?" Kyung asked Yukwon as he sat down next to ______ and Minhyuk. 
 
"Had something to do at home." he said with a slight smile. He turned to ______. "Sorry for not meeting you at the bus stop." 
 
"Don't worry about it." ______ said as she patted lightly his arm. 
 
Yukwon felt a slight stinging pain as she did that but none of them noticed. He was wearing a hoodie to cover all the bruises he got from those loan sharks. 
 
 
2 Hours later 
 
 
L.Joe's POV
 
"You live near here?" I asked as I looked at the familiar surroundings. We were near Jay's house. 
 
"Yeah." she nodded, still smiling angelically. That smile is so fake. 
 
From the corner of my eye, I noticed a familiar looking girl. I looked over to the bus stop and saw Hyemi.
 
"Hye-" I hesitated as I saw Yukwon get off the bus right after her. Taeyeon just gave me a confused look probably wondering what I was about to say. I looked where Hyemi was and saw her standing in front of him. They both smiled and laughed. She shook her head at one point. I noticed him open up his arms. I rolled my eyes. She hugged him. 
 
"So uh, where exactly do you live?" I asked her, still looking at Hyemi. I swear, that hug is lasting forever. 
 
"Uhm, I live further down that street. From the corner of my eye, I saw her pointing at the street where Jay lives. 
 
I nodded, "Okay, let’s go." I grabbed Taeyeon's hand and we started walking. 
 
I saw Yukwon leave and Hyemi started walking down the same street as me. I can't believe he’s not walking her home but this is perfect. Now how can I make her notice me? 
 
"L.Joe?" Taeyeon suddenly called. 
 
"Yeah?"
 
She smiled shyly. "Is it okay if I call you Oppa?" she said and looked down. 
 
"But we're the same age." I looked at her. She blushed when she looked back up. 
 
"Oh, okay..." she pouted. 
 
It was awkward while we walked back. I still don't think Hyemi noticed me yet. I looked back for a second and saw her smiling as she stared at her phone. Oh wow, you're texting him now? You saw him just a minute ago. Whatever. I looked back at Taeyeon, she looked sad. I sighed. "Fine, you can call me Oppa." I told her just to cheer her up. 
 
Her eyes lightened up. "Really?" I nodded. She squeezed my hand tighter. 
 
"You seem really happy about it." I chuckled and walked her to her front door. 
 
"Yeah," she looked down, embarrassed probably. "I never really had anyone I can call Oppa, that's why." she blushed again. She suddenly stopped walking.
 
"Anyways, thanks for bringing me home Oppa." her eyes smiled at me, still holding hands too.
 
I slightly turned back and saw Hyemi passing by, not on the phone this time. Once she was about to look my way, I made sure she knew it was me. "You're welcome." I turned slightly and saw Hyemi staring right at me. I smirked. "Good night." I put my hands in my pocket. 
 
She continued to smile at me and suddenly hugged me. Woah, didn't see that coming. I hugged her back and wrapped my arms around her. Her long flowing hair was accompanied by a sweet fruity scent. 
 
I pulled away and saw her smiling at me. From the corner of my eye, I noticed that Hyemi just stood on the sidewalk. Success! She sees me. Let's see how this will go. I charismatically looked at Taeyeon, making her break eye contact. I brushed a strand of her hair behind her ear. 
 
 
Author's POV
 
_______'s footsteps stopped as she noticed L.Joe in front of a house with a pretty looking girl. 
 
"What is he..." ______ mumbled to herself. She dropped her phone once she saw L.Joe kissing Taeyeon passionately.
 
Once he was done, he simply smirked as he pulled away. Taeyeon smiled shyly, blushing even more than before, and thanked him for tonight. They said their goodbyes then she went inside her house. 
 
Hyemi quickly picked up her phone and started walking back to Jay's house. 
 
"Hyemi?" L.Joe pretended to be surprised and stood a little far back from her. 
 
______ turned around, looking surprised too. "Oh L.Joe. What're you doing here?" she asked. 
 
L.Joe chuckled when she tried to be surprised when he knew exactly that she already knew he was there. "Uhm, heading to Jay's house now. I thought you were going home with Jay." L.Joe pointed out, just to see how she'd answer. They both started walking to Jay's house together. 
 
"He went home earlier, I decided to look around the shops after we got off the bus." she answered so naturally. 
 
He got caught off guard by her response. 'Good actress' he thought to himself. "I guess I'm going to have to scold him for letting you walk home by yourself at this time." he chuckled. 
 
"Oh, no it’s okay. I can protect myself. See? I'm still okay, aren't I? So why're you going to Jay's house?" she asked, trying to change the subject. 
 
"Just felt like visiting." he replied.
 
Both, ______ and L.Joe, were chuckling in their mind since they both know that the other person is lying. 
 
"Ah, I see." she said while she wiped off the dirt on her phone with her sleeve. 
 
"Isn't that Jay's jacket?" L.Joe just noticed the varsity that she was wearing. 
 
She tried to calm down her smile and nodded. L.Joe door belled and they both stood in front the door 
 
Jay opened the door and didn't expect to see L.Joe with _______. He raised an eyebrow. 
 
"You went out to go see him?" Jay asked, uncovering the lie that _______ she was building up to L.Joe. 
 
L.Joe just smirked when Jay asked that. She just looked down, embarrassed. She walked passed Jay, took off her shoes and sank in the couch. She snuggled in his sweater and took out her phone. 
 
"What's up with her?" Jay asked L.Joe. 
 
He chuckled. "Someone's just jealous." he sat across from _______. 
 
"Pfft. Not even close to being jealous" she rolled her eyes as she played a game on her iPhone. 
 
Jay was confused. He didn't understand what L.Joe was talking about. "Okay then. So why'd your dad call earlier today? You seemed pissed."
 
"Went on a date." L.Joe confidently said with a grin on his face to see Hyemi's reaction. 
 
_______ was listening but trying to show no interest. She actually had no interest in his actions towards that girl, she was just genuinly shocked by what she saw.
 
Jay just eyed him, giving him the ‘Are you serious?’ look. “Your dad set it up, right?” he asked to make sure L.Joe wasn’t doing anything stupid. L.Joe nodded. “How was it?” he still asked.
 
“Lame.” He answered knowing that Jay would be mad at him if he said anything about having any interest in this girl.
 
“Pfft, liar.” ______ said out loud while she was still playing the game on her phone.
 
“How would you know?” Jay asked.
 
“Uhh…” she didn’t know what to say. “I don’t know.” She shrugged and finally finished playing her game but stayed on the couch.
 
 
Your POV
 
I ignored their conversation but then I noticed that I was missing something. I stayed on the couch looking through my pockets. Where did I put it? I double-checked all the pockets I had but still no luck. Oh my god, how can I lose it again? From the couch, I tried to retrace my steps and looked carefully at the floor to see if I dropped it. If I dropped it inside the house, I need to find it as soon as possible. Or else Jay might find it… 
 
I wonder what his reaction would be though if he did find it…