Welcome Back

Thanks To Him

My eyes flickered as I noticed that I was no longer in bed. Wow, I really am a heavy sleeper. I rubbed my eyes to clear my vision and noticed that I was now in the passenger’s seat of my mom’s car. This again..’I thought to myself. “Are we really doing this again mom?” I asked her and looked down.

“Yeah, but don’t worry, our problems will be solved.” She said while she continued to drive.

I sighed. “So where are we heading to this time?” I asked her in disappointment while I looked at the passing scenery outside my window.

“Home.”

My eyes widened and I froze. “H-home?” I hesitated. She can’t be serious, right?

“Oh you know, where we started.” She replied as if it was nothing.

I grew nervous and started getting flashbacks but I ignored them. “But where we started is where this all started.” I still felt uneasy from when she mentioned ‘home’.

She started explaining how she knew a friend that can help us with the loan sharks that we’ve been trying to deal with for the past year now. I’m really tired of this though. I don’t want to blame my parents for loaning money from them because I was the reason they did that. They didn’t have enough money to pay for my school education but I hate having to change schools every month or two. I wished I was still back at my old school... But then again, I don’t want to go back there.

 

I finally started seeing places and things I recognized. I sighed as more memories flashed before my eyes. 

“We’re here.” I heard my mom say as she parked the car in someone’s driveway.

 

The house belongs to a couple, they greeted us politely when we arrived. I hope they can help really help us. I started unpacking my things in the guest room they had then I just relaxed on the bed.

 

“Honey, wake up.” I heard mom’s voice.

I stretched and sat up then gave her a confused look.

She was holding my backpack. “I can’t bring you to school today, I’m starting work in about half an hour.” She said and tossed me my backpack.

I simply nodded then lied back down.

“You’re going to have to take the bus. That’s why I woke you up early.” she added as she sat on the edge on the bed.

I pouted. “Do I really have to? You know that I’m bad with directions.” I said as I rubbed my sleepy eyes.

She had a grin on her face. “Don’t worry about that, the neighbour’s son goes to the same school and he takes the city bus too. I met him this morning. You’ll thank me later.” She winked before she left the room.

“That’s the last thing I want here. Another boy.” I talked to my bear plushie. I sighed and fell back on my bed. “Already the fact that I’m attending my old school is bad. Also… he’s still there, well I think he is.” I stuffed my pillow in my face. ‘What am I going to do?’

 

"______! Hurry up, he's here." I took one more glance at my reflection in the mirror, I missed this uniform. I picked up my backpack and quickly made my way downstairs. 

"Here's your lunch money for the week." she handed me 20$. "Have fun at school." she winked and pretty much pushed me out the door. 

I almost tripped when she pushed me but luckily I didn't. I turned around to say bye only to get the door closed in front of me. 

"Park Hyemi?" I heard a guy's voice speak behind me. I turned around to see a really good looking guy. Oh what am I kidding this guy was super cute yet so.. Wow. "Uhm, this fell out your bag, it's open by the way." he handed me a paper and smiled. This guy had a killer smile that immediately reflected on me. I took the paper gently and saw ‘Name: Park Hyemi' 

'So that's my new name?' I thought to myself, "Thanks."

"We should start walking, let's go?" he said and motioned me to go first. 

We started walking to the bus stop. It was quiet at first, I guess we're both the shy types but he broke the silence. 
"I'm U-Kwon by the way." his mouth curved. 

"Nice to meet you I'm __----" I suddenly remembered that my name here was now 'Park Hyemi'. "Park Hyemi" I corrected myself. 

He laughed. "Nice to meet you too." I smiled to cover up how embarrassed I was. "So you're new here?" he asked as we continued to walk to the bus stop. 

The word 'New' rang in my head. I've heard this question many times and I always felt bad. I wasn't lying when I answered at other schools but this question would lead me to answering other questions by lying. I hated lying to everyone yet it was something I ended up mastering. 'I'm sorry U-Kwon.' I thought to myself before I answered. "Yeap."

We got to the bus stop and just waited there. I looked around to see if there was anyone I recognized. I think the guy beside me was doing the same, except he was only trying to look my way. I didn't get a clear look of his face though. Don't tell me this guy is like a ert or something. I stepped closer to U-Kwon. U-Kwon looked confused and looked to see what I was trying to avoid. 'Oh.' he mouthed and bit his lip. 

Anyways the bus was here and the ert was standing in front of me in line. Something caught my eye though. I looked closer and saw the keychain attached to his bag. I quickly took out my phone and compared my keychain to his. They were exactly the same. These were custom made, which meant that this person who I thought was a ert is really... Jay? 'Oh snap!' I mouthed and calmly got into the bus. He headed towards the back but U-Kwon told me to go too since people still had to get in. I felt so uncomfortable being around him. 

"You okay?" U-Kwon asked me. I smiled to cover up how I was really feeling and nodded. 

The bus suddenly stopped and I ended up bumping into Jay. 

"Sorry!" I immediately apologized. He just looked at me with a weird look. Oh please don't tell me I'm exposed already. 

"Don't worry about it." he said. His voice.. I haven't heard in a while, I kind of missed it. 

A few minutes passed. "Our stop is the next one." U-Kwon told me. 

"Okay" I replied and walked closer to the exit. I didn't want another awkward moment with Jay. 

The bus stopped and I quickly made my way out the exit and waited for U-Kwon. 

"I've never seen someone so excited to go to school." U-Kwon got off the bus. 

It’s not that I'm excited U-Kwon. I just smiled and walked faster towards the school. U-Kwon just followed. We were already inside the school. I didn't see Jay since we were inside the bus so that's good. I started walking to the secretary's office. 

"Do you know where you're going?" U-Kwon asked me. 

"Of course I --." oh right. "Uhm, can you help me find the secretary's office?", I asked even though I still remembered where it was.

"Sure no problem." he led the way. Everytime he smiled, it always reflected on me. He has a really nice smile. 

"It's right here." I heard him say and I quickly snapped out of my thoughts. 

"Thanks so much U-Kwon." I immediately thanked him. 

He continued to flash his smile at me. "Anytime, if you need help with anything else just let me know. I have to go turn in something so I'll see you later okay?" he said as he stopped leaning against a locker. 

I nodded. "Okay, see you around." I waved as he started walking away. I was about to enter the secretary's office but then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and saw U-Kwon again. Woah, that was fast. He was pretty close and I guess he noticed so he backed away. "Uhm, I forgot something. Pass me your phone." he put his hand out. I was confused but I still handed him my phone. A few seconds after, he handed it back to me. 

"Done." Again, he flashed that amazing smile of his. I couldn't help but smile back. 

"What'd you do?" I asked him. 

"Look through your contacts, anyways I gotta go now. See you." he winked before he left. I completely froze for a full minute. “Woah..” that was the only thing I can say.

I finally snapped out of my infatuation and I opened the contact list of my phone and the first name I saw was his. He put a star symbol in front of his name to make himself first on the list. What a smart guy. 

I got my schedule from the secretary and checked what my locker number was. Locker 527.. Where's that again? I looked at the lockers closest to me. 174.. Hmm, I'm far, I forgot how the lockers work here. I sighed and continued to look for my locker. Where's U-Kwon when I need him? 
The bell suddenly rang. What?! Already? I looked at the time and it was already 9:25am. Class starts in 5 minutes?! I need to find my locker. As soon as tried to make my way to the stairs a rush of people were heading to their lockers to get their books for class. I was pretty much getting pushed around like a pinball. I tried getting out of the way but ended giving up as I noticed how much I was failing. But then I felt an arm glide around my waist and pulled me. The next thing I knew, I was pinned to the wall facing some guy with a grey hood on. I couldn't really see his face since his hood was covering most of it. 

"Yah.." that was the only thing I was able to say. I was surprised that I didn't even scream at him. 

"Sh." he simply said. "Just don't move." His face was inches away from mine but I did as he said and waited. I look to the side where the rush of people were passing, I was getting lots of confused looks from them. Whispers were being exchanged as they passed by. Some of them even tried to get of glimpse of the guy too but they just went to their classes instead. I turned back to face him again. I tilted my head to see who this guy was. I was able to see a part of his face. Only the bottom part of his face though, his hair was covering his eyes. I noticed him smirk at one point. 

"Yah!" I tried pushing him off of me but failed to even budge him. 

The second bell rang which meant class had started. There were no more footsteps. He finally stood up straight and smirked again. 

"Yah, why do you keep making that fa--"

He took off his hood and swept his hair that was blocking his eyes. He just grinned as he looked at me. "What face?" I froze. Is everyone one I meet today good-looking? First U-Kwon, now this guy. He took a few steps closer, still looking straight at me. I was about to back away but then I remembered that I was already flat against the wall. He placed his hand on the wall beside my face and slowly leaned towards me then stopped. The distance between our faces was now only inches apart. I quickly looked down and heard him chuckle. 

"Can I ask you something?" he asked me. 

Ask me something while you're so close? No you can't. "Can I go first?"

He smirked again. "Go ahead." 

"Can you back away?" I nicely asked him. 

"If you don't plan to run away I will." I felt his stare looking straight at me. I nodded. He stood up straight and took one step backwards. 

"Yah, look at me." 

I looked up with a confused look. Who is this guy? 

He continued to look at me as if he was examining my face or something. 'Oh' I saw him mouth. "You must be the new girl, right?" he asked me. 

"Yeah.." how does he know? Am I really that noticeable?

"Park Hyemi, right?" My eyes widened. Okay, I get that I'm new here but how does he know my name? He laughed. "Confused?" I just nodded. "I guess I'm going to have to explain myself." he smirked and crossed his arms. "I'm L.Joe." he placed his hand out for a handshake. I gave him a handshake but it wasn't the kind if handshake I was expecting. After he shook my hand he pulled me in for a hug. The hug was lasting longer than I thought it would. 

"Yo-You're quite friendly, aren't you?" I hesitated as I awkwardly hugged him back. 

He chuckled. "Friendly? That's a way to say it." he finally let go of me but placed his arms around my waist. I bit my lip at this awkward situation. WHO IS THIS GUY?

"Hey you two get to cl---!" the teacher stopped his sentence as soon as L.Joe turned around. "Uh, nevermind." the teacher then went back to his classroom. 
L.Joe looked back at me and grinned. 

Why did that teacher not scold us for not being in class?  Wait a minute I'm not in class!  "Uhm," I pushed his arms off me, he looked at me in shock. "I need to find my locker and get to class. Nice meeting you. Bye!" I said and tried to escape this guy. But no, things didn't go the way I thought. I felt his hand grab my wrist. 

"You looked lost, let me help you." I turned around to see him smile sincerely. First, he was the mysterious guy, then he was cocky and now he's the nice guy thats trying to help me? Can he really be all three? Come to think of it, is this guy flirting with me? Why me? Because I’m the new girl?
He suddenly grabbed my schedule. "Hey, you're locker is right next to mine. You have one lucky locker." 

And I was thinking this guy was being nice to me? He's probably just like every other flirt out there. I rolled my eyes. "So why am I so lucky?"

"Any girl in this school would kill to get your locker." oh look at him now, 'Mr. So full of myself'. 
I grabbed my schedule back. "I can find my locker myself, it's not my first time finding my locker at a school." I left but I still had no idea where to go. I went to the second floor hoping to find my locker. I entered the hallway and passed by a few classes. There were some people I remembered and recognized, I hope they won't recognize me. 
Locker 521... I'm close! 

My locker was at the end of the hallway, apparently right next to L.Joe’s locker. Great, just great. I put all my stuff in my locker and sighed. I looked at my schedule and it said I have english right now. i checked the time, I'm already 15 minutes late. I quickly got my books but then I felt someone tap me on the shoulder.