Special Chapter 7 - Xiumin

Dark Lake Academy - EXTRAS

Xiumin smiled to himself as he walked to the ceremony grounds. The school year was almost done and in a few weeks he’d be back home. Not that he wouldn’t miss Dark Lake and all of his friends, but he was looking forewords to seeing his dad again.

Over all, the school year had been a great one. No one had died, so that was always good. There hadn’t been anything similar to the Kwon Jaesun situation from the year before. That was a good thing for sure. Probably the only bad thing would be that Sori and Kris had called off their, er, relationship for good. But then again it wasn’t all that bad because neither had seemed to care all that much.

Well, maybe that was the wrong way of putting it. Xiumin was sure they cared. What they didn’t do was throw a huge fit and blame the other for the relationship falling apart. Instead they just seemed look at each other, go ‘this isn’t working, let’s end things,’ and their romantic relationship was done. Xiumin was pretty sure they had this conversation in the middle of history class, too.

“Hyung?” D.O asked, looking at the older, “who do you think is going to replace Yugyeom as head vampire?”

“No idea,” Xiumin shrugged, “but I think it’s gonna be one of his buddies.”

“Crap,” Tao scowled, “I hope you’re wrong. Most of his friends are jerks.”

“How Yugyeom manages to stay so fair and kind with them as friends I’ll never know,” Xiumin laughed lightly, but it was true.

The head vampire at Dark Lake was one of the kindest vampires Xiumin had ever met. Yet somehow he’d managed to surround himself with asshats for friends. Not a single one of his friends were kind or open minded about non-vampires. It was baffling how such a thing had happened.

“Xiumin!” the vampire in question turned around to face Yugyeom who was running over to him.

“What’s up?” he greeted the head vampire, “aren’t you supposed to be at the ceremony grounds? The end of year gathering should be starting soon.”

“I’ll get there,” Yugyeom smiled, “but I need to talk to you first. Tao? D.O? do you mind giving us a moment?”

“Sure,” D.O smiled, pulling Tao away as the younger whined about wanting to know what was going on.

“So what’s going on?” Xiumin asked, frowning slightly in concern.

“As you know, this was my last year at Dark Lake,” Yugyeom smiled sadly, “and so we need a new head vampire to take care of things.”

“I know,” Xiumin nodded.

The job of head vampire was like being class president for all the vampire students. The head vampire was in charge of planning all vampire-only celebrations and meetings. They also were tasked with keeping all other vampires in line. For example, making sure no one drank from someone without that someone’s consent. Finally, the head vampire had to help all new vampires get used to things – being a vampire and/or being around other supernaturals who weren’t vampires.

It was a lot of thankless work. The head vampire was always the one to get most of Minji’s wrath if another vampire acted out. The head vampire also had to discipline the other vampires accordingly when they acted out in ways that didn’t affect their school life. From missing vampire meetings, to taking blood without permission, to offending non-vampire classmates with pro vampire propaganda. All that fell under the head vampire’s jurisdiction. Minji might chew the vampire out herself, but the head vampire was the one to give the actual punishment.

All in all, it always struck Xiumin to be a crappy job.

“I want you to take my place,” Yugyeom said, pulling Xiumin from his musing.

“Huh?” the younger blinked, clearly not expecting to hear that.

“I want you to be the next head vampire,” Yugyeom said once more, “you’ll be great at it.”

“But I can’t be the head vampire,” Xiumin tried to argue, “You know I can’t.”

“No, I don’t know if you can or can’t,” Yugyeom shrugged, “but I think that it would be good for both you and for the other vampires at this school. You’re the prime example of what I want for our kind.”

“I don’t understand,” Xiumin frowned slightly.

“I want the next generation of vampires to get along with other supernaturals,” the older explained with a happy smile, “and you have a bunch of friends who aren’t vampires. You’re a prime example of what I want to have happen with the others of our kind at this school.”

“Most are already like me,” the younger tried once again to disagree, “so why should it matter if I have non-vampire friends?”

“It matters because everyone respects the head vampire,” Yugyeom laughed, “we’ll get a lot more vampires branching out with you in charge.”

“I can’t,” Xiumin sighed, “I’d at being the head vampire. I would let everyone down.”

“No, you wouldn’t,” Yugyeom patted Xiumin’s shoulder, “and you wouldn’t be doing it alone. You have friends to help you. I’m sure Tao and D.O would have no problems lending a hand with setting up for meetings or celebration.”

“Are you sure?” Xiumin asked, still unsure if he would be able to manage being head vampire.

“Positive,” Yugyeom nodded, “so do you want the job? If you’re still really against it, I can find someone else. I don’t want to force you.”

“I’ll do it,” Xiumin nodded after a moment. A part of him still wanted to say ‘no,’ but he hated to disappoint people. Turning down this offer would disappoint Yugyeom who’d always been so good to him and he couldn’t do that.

“Good,” Yugyeom smiled, “now let’s get to the ceremony grounds. I wanna get this meeting over as soon as possible, I have a major exam tomorrow.”

Xiumin trailed after the older vampire, wondering if he’d done the right thing agreeing to be the head vampire. Only time would tell for sure, but until then he was filled with self-doubt.

A/N: And time says that Xiumin’s self-doubt is way misplaced ‘cuz he’s a great head vampire.  Bet you guys were expecting something from Xiumin’s childhood though, right? Well, I’d thought about doing that but seeing how Xiumin got to be head vampire seemed like a more interesting chapter for me to throw together. Anyway, who do you wanna see in the as the next special chapter’s main character?