If We Never Met

Do You Know Heartstring?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee Shin gets off the train half awake. He still can't figure out "who is he?", "where is he?", "what he was doing?". Till the station typical announcement echoing all over the area, Shin's mind back to it's place. Then he realize one thing: he doesn't know Kyuwon's address.

"Dumb!" He hit his head with his fist.

Sit down on a bench, he takes out his phone to find someone who can help him with the address. Then another realization comes. He doesn't know harabeoji's phone number. He never met Kyuwon's dad and to make it worse, Shin doesn't know her dad's name.

Shin slip off a bit in his seat to rests his head to the bench. With face facing up to the ceiling, he starts to dig his memory, figure out who can possibly help him in this situation. Kyuwon wouldn't pick up his call. Her dad obviously had no idea about that. It doesnt look like Kyuwon gave the phone to her dad for him to keep.

To ask the address from harabeoji seems a bit risky. He might end up gets so many questions at the wrong time. This is not the right one to be interogate by harabeoji. Shin wants to focus on Kyuwon's parent first. Harabeoji will have his time later after Shin gets to bring Kyuwon back.

Shin shakes his feet as he's getting more impatient. Restless and confusion filled his whole brain. Take a deep breath as he tries to get a better point of view, he realize someone took the seat next to him. Shin immediately sit straight and bow his head in embarassment to the older guy who seems to noticed the uneasiness in Shin's demeanor. He bow his head in return and choose to not start a conversation with Shin.

Although not saying it directly, Shin was thankful and appreciate the introverted understanding that guy gave him. Shin doesn't need a companion. The thing he needed the most right now is Lee Kyuwon's address.

But it's not a dead end yet. It is not. There's still a way. And there's no way he'll give up and go home. He's coming all the way here, at least should try to call someone for a help.

If he asks one of The Windflowers girl, how should he say it? There's no guarantee they have visited Kyuwon's Ulsan house when she herself barely comes back in years. Shin heard that it always dad and the step mother and the step brother who came down to Seoul instead when they meet up.

But it wont hurt to try. Who knows the miracle is waiting.

He fish out the phone from his pants, searching for Cha Bowoon's number from the list only to realize he doesn't have hers. Ofcourse. Why would he have the other girls when he already have the leader's number? Shin not the type who will be casually exchange number without purpose. All this time he only cooperated with The Windflowers through Kyuwon.

So here's the step. First, he have to call Wonbin to get one of the Windflowers girls's number. Whoever it isㅡthough he not sure why the one he had in mind is just Bowoon, but other girls would be okay as long as they can help him. After he gets the girl's number, he'll calls her and asks her to ask Kyuwon for the address.

He heard Kyuwon cuts off all the communication though. But it was recently. Who knows if she started to talk to everyone but him again today.

Shin dial Wonbin's number and it takes one ring for the bassist to pick up the call.

"Hallo? What's going on?"

"Do you have the number of The Windflowers girls aside of the leader?"

Wonbin makes a buzzing sounds as if he was considering of something. "Something's up?" was his final question.

"Yeah. I'll let you know later. So you have it?"

"Ofcourse. I'll send them." Wonbin says. "Hey, Shin. If you need a help. Just let me know anytime. I'll do all I can to makes things easier."

Shin chuckles. "It's funny when you're acting serious. I'll hang up the call."

"Alright, alright."

Smile stays on Shin's face after the connection cut off. He's never been this happy talking to Wonbin. Not long after, Wonbin sent him the number of the rest of Windflowers. Shin decided to call Bowoon first.

"Eh? Really? Lee Shin calls me?" was her reaction when he told her that it's him. "What do you wanㅡah, I think I know. You want to talk about Kyuwon, right?"

Shin nods even though she can't see him. "I'm in Ulsan," he says without further ado.

"What?" Bowoon exclaime much to startle him. "Whoa," after she calm down. "You go all the way there to get Kyuwon back, Lee Shin?"

"Yeah. But I have a problem. Apparently, I don't know her address."

Bowoon choked as she was laughing. Never expected the mighty Lee Shin she used to know have this clumsy side.

"You scoffed me."

"No. No. I'm sorry." Bowoon tries hard to restrain her laughing voice. "So you went there but didnt realise that you dont know where you should go? And now you called me to ask for her address. Am I right?"

"Exactly. So can you help?"

"Urm... Lee Shin. I'm afraid I can't help you. In fact I've never been to her house. And she never really told me the town where her father's live. I've only heard about the trivial story about them." Bowoon sounds guilty even though she doesnt have to.

Shin, obviously, feeling disappointed. But it can't be help if Kyuwon doesn't talk much to her friends either.

"What about the other girls? Is there a chance Eunsang or Dokmi possibly know anything?" he asks. Won't give up yet.

"I think it would be the same. But do you want me to ask them for you?"

"Thanks Bowoon. If you will, please persuade the troublesome girl to pick up your phone. I've made a foolish mistake, I might make her feel like I'm a bother or a baggage if I text her begging for her to pick up my call."

"I hope things will get better soon. I want to see her. It's been a while."

"Yeah, me too." Shin was about to put his phone away but he remember something. "Oh, right. What's her father's name?"

"Urm... we've met him but we call him appa just like her. But I think she've told us his name before."

As Bowoon recalls the name of Kyuwon's dad, both her and Shin are not saying anything. The phone connection only filled with silence for few seconds.

"Lee Ikseon. Yes, it's Lee Ikseon. Hope it could help for the time being until I get another clue from the girls. Better way if I get connected with Kyuwon again. I'll call you later if I get something."

"Ok. Thanks a lot, Bowoon." The phone call is ended for real this time. Shin staring at his phone as he recite the name, "Lee Ikseon, she says..."

"Ne?"

Shin tests his luck by write down the name on the internet along with Ulsan and his occupation as a teacher. That's the only thing he got to heard from Kyuwon herself before the misery happened.

"Excuse me?"

Shin drawn back from his own world to reality. Late to noticed the guy called him, Shin awkwardly bow again to appologize.

"No, it was... I thought you called me. But you were in a deep thought. I guess I was mistaken."

"Ne?" Shin dumbfounded by what's the guy said.

That middle age guy chuckles. "You said 'Lee Ikseon'. It's my name. So I thought you called me and here I wondering how do you know me. But it seems that it was just coincidence that I have the same name with your acquintance."

Shin frowns but a hopeful glint was born from his eyes. "Lee Ikseon-sshi? That's your name?"

The later raise his eyebrow with a smile on his lips. "Yes."

Shin laughs. "I'm sorry. Suddenly silly thought appeared in my head. Would be really nice if you're Lee Ikseon-sshi who I'm looking for."

The guy slightly shifts his seat to face Shin as he interested in what Shin's said. "You were looking for someone? Where are you come from?"

"I'm from Seoul. I was told to see Mr. Lee Ikseon to find my way to see a friend."

The guy's furrowed his eyebrows. "So you're not actualy looking for Lee Ikseon, but you have to see him to find the other person?"

Shin nods. But immediately shakes his head. He was confuse. "It was... you see, my dear friend was left home for a special vacation to cool her head. And the place she had her vacation was her parent's house. I came to see her, but," Shin looks down to hide his embarassment, "I forgot that I don't know where is her house."

The Lee Ikseon next to him stares at Shin with a strange look. As if he was observing Shin and attempt to read his mind. "Don't tell me..." he squint his eyes, "the Lee Ikseon you're looking for is your dear friend's father?"

Shin nods timidly. Ashtonished by the quick understanding this stranger have. Usualy people will make a fuss of how complicated the way Shin explain things. And how he always makes them confused and frustrated to understand when Shin talking seriously.

"So the point is, you were here to looking for Lee Ikseon's house to see your friend?"

Shin nods again several times. Delighted by this easy conversation.

"Lee Kyuwon?"

Shin nods again, but stops right away. His expression change into bewilderment. Have he tells this man Kyuwon's name earlier?

"Who are you?"

"Ne?" Shin extremely lost this time. "Lee- Lee Shin. My name is Lee Shin." He lean closer to Lee Ikseon. "Did I mentioned my friend's name?"

Lee Ikseon tilt his head. "Can I know what's your relationship with her?"

The tone on his question made Shin gets a weird idea about the situation. It can't be what he thought. But if it is, how embarassing this would be. Then again, there's no use of being bashful or awkward right now. It will makes his effort come to despair.

"Ky-Kyuwon's... appa?" Shin asks reluctantly.

Mr. Lee Ikseon stiffle his laugh. He stands up and offers his hand for a hand shake. "It seems like we need to have a proper conversation somewhere."

Shin stands up and shake his hand. "Lee Shin imnida." He bow again.

Kyuwon's dad laughs. "I heard it. I'm not a forgetful old man yet."

"I'm sorry."

"Let's go grab something to eat. You haven't had lunch yet, have you?" He pick up his sling bag from the bench.

Shin settle the backpack on his shoulder as he says, "I forgot breakfast."

"So you are what they call..." the father gave Shin a cheeky smile, "... daughter's boyfriend?"

Shin smiles bashfully. "Sort of."

"You know how lucky you are to meet me here."

Shin nods. "I'm pleased to meet you," he says. "Anyway where are you going? Am I interfering your plan?"

"It's okay. I just got back from Seoul."

"Wait." Shin leaned back, an amazement drawn on his face. "Were we on the same train from Seoul?"

Lee Ikseon laughs. "I guess so."

They walk side by side towards the exit way while Shin telling the father how he and Kyuwon met and his first impression about her. Mr. Lee Ikseon silently impressed at how Shin not bother to hide his bad idea about Kyuwon on their early relationship.

He finds a liking on this young man who fonds of his princess with honesty. It's refreshing and amusing.

Indeed, honesty is the best quality a man should have, he thought.

**

After Shin left to Ulsan, his mom spend the whole morning to prepare a feast for harabeoji. This time it's more than the usual set. She even made Korean snacks which harabeoji might like.

After listen to the story from Shin's point of view, she felt the urge to talk with Kyuwon's harabeoji to creates a path for Shin when he comes back with Kyuwon. She doesn't wants her eldest child to be hated by the person she respect and admire.

"Mr. Lee," Eomma Jiyoung go down on her knee. She bowed her head deeply. “I’m sorry for my son’s behaviour and bad influences to Kyuwon. I'm aware it could be happened because my lack of control over my child. I know I'm not suppose to use my situation as an excuse. But I have tried, to raise them in the most proper way. If the result doesn't come out in the best way, it was my fault. And it's me who you should resent. I'm really sorry." She bow her head genuinely.

"Don't be like that." Harabeoji looks uncomfortable watching the woman he sees as a capable working mom bowing and apologize like that. He have seen her work when he colaborated with her magazine to promote the music festival harabeoji involved.

"I've seen Kyuwon as a nice and polite girl. It's ashame to see her change after she's going out with Shin."

Alth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter