The Birds

Do You Know Heartstring?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuwon let her bangs cover her eyes as she massaged her forehead. “This is probably the right time to grateful that I’m born a girl. And whoever invented the idea of separating male and female toilet should get a nobel.”

“Toilet indeed the safest place, as always.” Dokmi pat Kyuwon’s back to transfer her energy.

Bowoon sighs. “Why always toilet of all places?”

“Let’s send a huge flower bouquet to the inventor!” Kyuwon exclaim with eyes open wide peeping through her bangs.

Eunsang chortled at how creepy her friends looks. “She started to lose her mind.”

“Lee Shin really needs to get a beating. Why he always mess around with Kyuwon? Does he thinks Kyuwon is some sort of clown?” Bowoon grit her teeth upsetly. “I’m so regreted I’ve ever like him and buy ticket to their show.”

“But it’s not only Shin, weren’t all The Stupid member came and bothered her? Why are you only blame on him?” Eunsang protesting, feeling confuse and mind for Bowoon conclusion.

Bowoon throw a sneer at Eunsang. “I’m pretty sure the idea comes from Shin. We can see clearly that he’s the most evil person in the band.”

Dokmi nods in agreement. “That’s so obvious. We should stop liking him.”

“I know right. We have to stop interact with him. All kind of interaction should be prohibited from now onward. He’s dangerous. He’s a threat. What will he do again to Kyuwon if we let him around her?” Bowoon so on fire and sounds more like a mum than a friend. She’s a bit over protetive somehow. She’ll do all she might to protect her friends from trouble.

It’s been three days since Kyuwon lost her peaceful life both at campus and neighbourhood. Lee Shin and the guys has persistently interupted her all day asked for her answer everywhere and everytime.

**

“Kyuwoooon-aaaah!”

Kyuwon frowned as she turn around to see who’s calling. It was Wonbin.

“Annyeong, Wonbin-ah.” Had she knows Wonbin approached to continue the haunting mission Shin started last night, she probably won’t greet him warmly.

“Hey.” Wonbin smiled as warm as a food served in a hot plate. Tantalized, but can burn your tongue if you’re not careful. “How ya doing?”

Kyuwon thought went to Shin and his torment. How could she be fine if his behaviour still bother her mind? “Yeah, I’m good. You have morning class?”

“Morning errand, yes. Morning class, no.”

“Eh?  Morning errand?” Kyuwon staring cluelessly at him. “It’s not related with the band, isn’t it? I don’t think you have morning practice schedule, I guess?”

Wonbin extended his neck as if want to talk more private, and that way he can wishpering with her. “How could you know? Do you, perhaps, stalking us?” It sounds more like a tease than curiousity. He certainly heard from Shin that Kyuwon came over to his room earlier.

“What? No.” She narrowed her eyes and shook her head stiffly. “Why would I do that?”

Wonbin shrugged his shoulder. His hands played with the straps of his bag as they walked side by side crossing the grass field to art building sections. Kyuwon felt uneasy upon realise people stared at them as if they are some sort of new campus couple. She almost forgot, Wonbin is as popular as the rest of The Stupid members.

It’s an important fact she should write on a post it and patch it to her brain. Don’t ever let the brain cells forget about it. The risk could be dangerous.

Just like now.

“Oh Wonbiiin.” A girl Kyuwon didn’t knew came to them. “Who is this? I’ve never sees her before. Don’t tell me she’s your new babe. Come on, there’s still plenty of sweetheart out there.” She asked Wonbin but her eyes scanned Kyuwon from head to toe. She smirked which Kyuwon saw as an insult.

“My new best friend, a cool and professional gayageum player.” Wonbin playfully push Kyuwon’s arm with his. “Cute, isn’t she?”

The girl chuckles. “What? Didn’t you heard what I said?”

“She’s our hidden power. Wait and see. Shortly you’ll find out what it is.” Wonbin bragged as if Kyuwon already agree to join the band.

Kyuwon glared at him wanted the latter to take back what he said. That girl might misunderstood and thougthlessly spread the news which not completely true.

“I’m curious. Can you let me know in advance?” She hug Wonbin’s shoulder leisurely. Kyuwon didn’t saw it before that the girl was taller than Wonbin. Like, 10 cm taller, or more.

“Noona!” Wonbin moved away from the girl and hid behind Kyuwon. “Told you not to do that again. You make me looks shorter.”

The girl laughed. “You relatively short for a guy, you know. Come here, little guy.”

“Aniyaaa. You’re too tall for a girl. Look.” Wonbin held both of Kyuwon’s arms from behind and stood closer to her. Kyuwon can felt his chin on her crown. “I’m taller than her!”

The noona scoffed. “Whatever. I’ll tell the girls about the news. Tomorrow will be Catharsis, right?”

“No.” Wonbin release Kyuwon’s arms, he slide to her side and leisurely put his elbow on her shoulder to lean on. “Catharsis booked for a proposal or something. We’ll do a street performance near Gwanghwamoon. Come with as many troops as you can.”

“Count on me. I’ve never failed you, have I?”

“Neveeerrrrr!!”

Wonbin and the girl bumped fists before she scanned Kyuwon for the last time and walked away.

Kyuwon felt really bothered by the way that girl looked at her. She wanted to ask Wonbin who she was, but her pride can’t find a proper way to ask without sounds curious and hurt.

“She was the president of Babo Baby.” Wonbin told her as if he can read her mind.

Kyuwon push his hand from her shoulder as polite as she could. “What is that?”

“The Stupid fan club name.”

“NE??” Kyuwon yelled in disbelief. How could people made a fan club for a school band? And what’s with the name? It’s so lame.

“Sounds unbelievable? How can we gain a fan club in two years?” Wonbin brush his hair with one hand, while the other hand placed on his waist. “That’s just one of the proof of how cool we are.”

Kyuwon stared at him in disdain. She didn’t want to said this, but, “You know, the fan club name is really stupid and lame.”

Wonbin laughed instead of felt hurt. “You forget a point, honey.”

“Honey?” Kyuwon frowned.

“We’re The STUPID band. It’s not suppose to sounds cool in many ways. We’re stupid because we fell in love so deep into music. So deep. Like those fans who fall so deeply to us. So.deep. Yes.”

Kyuwon’s cheek twitching listen to his explanation. The reason sounds even more stupid. She couldn’t sort her feeling either she wants to laugh or pretend to understand. “I think, I have to go.”

“I’ll go with you.”

Kyuwon stopped walking to look at him. “I’m going to my class, okay? We can’t hang out now.”

“Okay.” But he still followed her nonchalantly.

“What are you doing? Don’t follow me. I told you I’m going to class. I have a morning class to attend. Go somewhere else, or go practice on your own, or pick Shin up at his house, whatever. Just don’t follow me.” She warned him as calm as possible. She didn’t want to earn attention by shouting upsetly in an open place like this.

“They wouldn’t know me even if I’m in the class.” His answer made Kyuwon dumbfounded.

 “For God sake. What do you want from me?” She grit her teeth to holding back the urge to burst in anger.

“What do I want?” Wonbin’s eyes dancing on the upper part of his cornea. He smirked mischiveously. “Just one thing. Consist of three words.” His face still decorated with big smile when he pointed at her. “You join us.”

“Uuurrgh. Not that again.” Kyuwon put her palms to cover her ears before walked away.

“Lee Kyuuuuwon.” Wonbin ran after her with a small steps. “Wait for meeee.”

“Go away.”

“Don’t want to.”

“I said go away.”

“I like you. Join us.”

“No!”

“Yes!”

“Stop follow me.”

“I’ll follow you into the daaark....” He sang the line from Death Cab For Cutie’s I’ll Follow You Into The Dark while playfully tiptoeing behind her.

And that happened every morning for the past three days. Wonbin will tail her everywhere while twisted every words she said back into the proposal of her joinning The Stupid. Bowoon and friends tried hard to saved and hid Kyuwon from Wonbin. But he still wait eagerly to catch up with Kyuwon activites, even when she hid inside the bathroom, as always.

**

As if there were shift of haunting Kyuwon in The Stupid human resourch department, before lunch was Junhee’s turn to act. He didn’t follow her around like Wonbin, thankfully.

“Yeah, thankfully.” Kyuwon scoop a full spoon or rice and shove it to . Thought she finaly can breath freely.

Junhee sat at the table next to her table surrounded by some people who probably his friends from same class. He put his head on the table, ignored the food tray in front of him. His friends been persuade him to eat but he said that he will starve to death because he lose apetite.

“Omo. Poor Junhee. I thought he liked to eat a lot. How could a kid who loves food losing his appetite?” Bowoon wishper with eyes looking pityly at Junhee.

“It seems like they can’t make him eat.” Eunsang said. “Doesn’t he looks like a toddler who refuse to eat?”

“Does he sick?” Dokmi bite her spoon.

“Junhee-ya, if you don’t eat, I’ll eat your food.” His friend said.

Junhee said nothing as he push his tray to the friend. Everyone on the table dumbfounded not expect him to acted that way. Never in the history, Junhee giveaway his foods with pleasure. They immediately suspected that something strange happened to him. After they convinced him they’ll give whatever he wants if he speak up, he got up to sit straight.

“Jinjja?” He inhaled through his nose before said, “I’m broken heart.”

“Eeeehhh?”

Even The Windflower girls yelled their shock. Junhee was broken hearted so he lose appetite. It never in their imagination that Junhee fall in love. He looks like a kid who only cares about food, food, food, food, and food.

“Who’s the girl?” Bowoon asked Kyuwon which she responded with a shrug.

Junhee’s friends insisted him to tell more. But Junhee turn his head to Kyuwon and sulking. All his friends followed his eyes direction to find Windflowers girls staring back at them.

“Oh no! Don’t tell me it was one of those girls?” Someone said.

“Which one?”

“I can’t belive this.”

“Who are they?”

“Who cares. They looks so lame.”

Windflowers looked away upsetly. They put down their chopsticks and spoons and took their trays to sliped off from those people. They didn’t sounds friendly to talk to. Better escape before get bitten.

“Kyuwon eonni...” Junhee started sobbing. He put a serious miserable face. “She left me again...”

“Kyuwon?”

“Who’s Kyuwon?”

“There is Kyuwon amongst those girls?”

“Ya! Whoever named Kyuwon, come here!” Junhee’s big friend shout loudly to the girls, made everyone attention centered at them. “Don’t you dare to runaway after you hurt our Junhee.”

“So ignorant.”

“Arrogant.”

“Who do you think you are?”

Eunsang bit her thumb nail and wishpered. “Let’s just go away.”

“Let’s go.” Bowoon walked ahead.

But the door intercepted by some girls from other table, their crossed their arms on their chest to block Windflowers way. They stared straight at Kyuwon, clearly knew her from the chasing race few days ago.

A red-haired girl pull Kyuwon’s shoulder to her arm. “This one is Kyuwon.” She looked at Junhee. “What do you want us to do to her?”

Junhee grinned cutely his eyes almost disappear. “I want eonnie to feed me.”

Everyone’s jaw dropped. Didn’t saw it coming. They thought he might wants something like pull a prank on her, or scold her. But what is it again? Feed him?

They knew Junhee was a bit weird and not the bully type, except when someone take the food he currently eat without left some for him. But to go crazy over an unknown girl and want her to feed him is... you know...

“Junhee-ya, are you sick?” Ask the big guy.

Junhee nodded. “I’m so hungry. Please, feed me, eonnie.”

“Why should her? Let this eonnie do instead.” The girl in front to him took the chopstick to feed him.

“I only want Kyuwon eonnie. I’m sorry.” Junhee pouted.

“I’m pretty sure he’s a toddler.” Dokmi mumbled closely to Kyuwon’s ear.

Kyuwon cringed witnessed how childish Junhee is. She thought he was sweet and cute. But what’s with this nag and spoil act? It was terrified to see this side of him.

“What will you do?” Bowoon wishpered.

Kyuwon answer he with a vague shaking head.

“Eonnie so disappointed at you, Junhee-ya. Why are you choose her to eat with you?”

“Wait, are you dating her?”

Junhee shook his head innocently, made his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter