The Forgotten Song

Do You Know Heartstring?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Harabeonim, I’m sorry I have to go.” Kiyeong excuse himself before grandpa drag him into a long conversation like the last time.

“Why such a hurry? You haven’t get in and sit down yet.”  Grandpa persistently holding Kiyeong’s hand just so he won’t go away.

“Aniyo.” Kiyeong smile as polite as possible. “I have homework to catch up. So I need to go now.”

“aigo.” Grandpa nods admiringly. “It must be hard to studying in double degree, isn’t it? Law and theater are a complete opposite, but until now you able to did great in both.” Grandpa patted Kiyeong’s arm to transfer his support and energy. “Sugohaetda! Good job.”

Kiyeong bow bashfully. He finaly bid goodbye and walk to the gate. Grandpa about to walk him out when he realize Kyuwon just staying still on her former place. He scold her immediately and told her to see Kiyeong until he go. She get up unwillingly and smile nonchalantly. She doesn’t feel the need to see him going but grandpa clearly working hard to make the connection between them alive.

It opened Kyuwon’s eyes that Kiyeong might be the ‘one’. He’s the guy whom grandpa wants her to marry. There’re too many hints already. She just doesn’t want to admit that she has noticed it.

She watch as Kiyeong open the gate still talking nicely to grandpa. Feeling relieved she fell and ripped her hanbok, and bumped into Sehyun with his ramyeon soup which made her hanbok looks even more awful. Who knows if their latest diner was to announce their arrange married and set the date of their wedding day. If not because of her bad luck, she might have to meet with Kiyeong’s family. She can’t help but dazing the whole time Kiyeong talked with grandpa earlier. It was so scared how grandpa adore him so much.

“Oh! I forgot my phone. I think I left it on the table.” Kiyeong excuse himself to get his phone above the serving table inside the house.

Kyuwon sighs boringly at him before walking out to wait by the gate. She’s about to lean her back to the wall when she realize there’re papers glued all over the bike. She move to read it out of curiousity. It wasn’t there before. Who will mischiveously pull a prank in this area?

She looks around before read the papers.

‘You said something came up in your house. Is this your NEW house?’

‘I told you to throw away this bike. You look odd and I hate that!’

‘I’ve told you many times that we’re not suppose to be together, but you insist, and now you’re with someone else? Ringer!’

‘What do you take me for? Popularity booster??’

Kyuwon frowned. Whoa, this sounds like an angry girlfriend found her boyfriend cheating. She delated her eyes. A light of hope feels like showering her in the dim alley.  She smirk to idea of Kiyeong have a girlfriend. If it is true, the possibility of him opposing arrange married will be bigger. Then, both of them will be on the same boat.

“Mwoya?” Kiyeong startle as he arrive and see the papers on the bike. He hastyly taking it off and crumple it into a small ball. He looks so awry and nervous. “Urm..”

“What is it?” Grandpa asks.

“No, nothing.” He grinning awkwardly. He shift his gaze to Kyuwon to asks whether she read it or not, but it will gain grandpa’s curiousity and let the old man know what it is is the last thing he want to do. “Then, I’ll be going.” He says at last. He looks at Kyuwon before move away, decide that he will ask her the next time they meet.  

**

“Lee Kyuwon.”

Kyuwon turn around and sighs. “Lee.Shin.”

“Why do you say my name like that?” He approach her without his bike.

Kyuwon wants to ask him where is his bike, but her pride won’t let her. “Why do you call me? I’m busy. Don’t have time to arguing with you.”

“You know, I’m new here. I don’t feel like riding my bike. So let’s go to campus together.” He walks ahead before waiting for her answer.

“What? Wait, wait.” Kyuwon run after him to walks side by side and talk. “What do you mean? You want to bus riding with me?”

“Yeah,” he reply nonchalantly without looking at her.

“What? Why?”

Shin stop walking. He turn to shot her an icy stare. “I said I’m new here, okay? I don’t know the bus route. And my bike tire is troublesome. Can you just shut up and guide me now? I’m busy. I can’t be late.”

“Oh.” Kyuwon scratch her non itchy nape. “Ok. Arasseo.”

Shin walks again without says anything. Kyuwon feeling flusterred with his sudden ‘hospitality’. She walks behind him with uneasy heart. What if the bus as crowded as it usualy had every morning? What if they end up standing close to each other because there’s not much space left? What if the driver step on the brake all of sudden make her feet lose its balance and she fall to his embrace? What if they accidentaly staring at each other as they hugging and forget the world? What if they find their faces are blushing red and heart skip a beat? What if―

“Ya. I asked you.”

“Eh?” Kyuwon blinking blankly.

Shin gritted as he asks. “Is the bus always crowded in the morning?”

“Ah, ne, almost every morning.” She says.

“I don’t know what kind of person you are, but don’t spacing out when you’re with me.” Shin warned her.

Who are you to telling me what to do? Kyuwon frowned. She can’t stop herself from asking, “Why do you keep doing that to me?”

“Do what?”

Kyuwon walks faster so she can see his face while he answer. “Complaining and order me around.” She examining his face which doesn’t change at all. He doesn’t looks like confuse at all. “You don’t remember? You told me not to sing ever again, and now you asked me to be your guide. Can you be more kind and respect me? If you don’t like the way I sing, don’t listen to it. You can just go away, and pass my by or ignore me. Whatever it takes. You don’t have to be rude. Or are you that kind of person who like to torment people if they disturb you on purpose or not?”

“You get it wrong.”

“What is it? It’s obvious that you’re one of those kids who like to bully other.” She snorted.

“It’s the otherwise.”

“Ya.” Kyuwon stand in front of him to block his way.

He startle a bit but manage to back as calm as ever in a blink.

“Are you trying to say that your rude attitude was the effect of being bullied. So you release your frustration at me because I look easy?”

Shin look at her in disdain. “What are you talking about? Do you write a drama scenario?”

Kyuwon pouted with a frown on her face.

“I told you, you get the wrong idea. It’s the otherwise. Your voice bother me a lot because I don’t need it. I want to take you to my band, but there’s no place for you.” Shin lean in his body. “Stop talking and assume things before you learn the proper way to listen to other.” He scoffs and pat her shoulder as he take a step forward. “Kajja.”

Kyuwon flusterred and confused at the same time. She thought she heard it wrong. It’s doesn’t sounds like Lee Shin if he confess his admiration that openly. But he said that he doesn’t need her. It might not a compliment. So what does he mean? Why is he so confusing?

She turn around and follow him in distance. Suddenly it feels scary to talk to him. He’s so unpredictable and unreadable. But she still confuse for what he says. She doesn’t wants to try solving his act all day and lose focus. She doesn’t wants to think about him.

Kyuwon did a lon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter