Chapter 26

Bend or Break [2014 ver.]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER 26: NOT GOING ANYWHERE

 

Haerin

 

I got discharged a day later and since I was allowed to go out, I actually did not leave the hospital. I’d stay in the waiting area outside the ICU. That revival incident two days ago worried me so much that I didn’t want to leave until he’d move. The lads were trying hard to make me go home but I just couldn’t bear leaving. What if I go and something happens? There was no way they could make me go. Even Sehun’s parents—who visited him a day ago—tried to make me go home but I insisted to stay. It turns out that they didn’t hear the news soon because they were away for a trip. They felt so bad about it and decided to stay until he was okay. In fact his parents are moving to another hotel, closer to the hospital. Kris and Suho helped them move.

 

“Hey there zombie-face,” I turned to Taemin who sat down beside me as I made a face at him. As always, he looked like a supermodel that jumped out of a fashion magazine. Even the nurses and doctors would turn their heads when he passes by, “Damn Sun Haerin, even if those bag under your eyes are turning into Gucci you’re still pretty,” He teased as I tried to elbow his side.

 

“I thought you were sick of the hospital ambiance, what brings you here?” I arched a brow. Taemin kept complaining about it when I was still confined but he never left. Looking down, his eyes gazed at me and then he lifted up a plane ticket. I was astounded for a moment as I gaped at him. He smiled weakly at me.

 

“I booked a flight for tonight,” He said.

 

“You’re going back to New York?” It was a stupid question, he obviously was but a part of me didn’t want him to go. Lee Taemin has been one hell of a good company and a really nice friend. I’d say he’s one of the greatest person I’ve ever met.

 

“Yeah. I kind of miss the city that never sleeps,” He chuckled as I frowned at him. He smiled and placed a lock of my hair behind my ear as his eyes bore into mine, “I wasn’t planning on saying this but since you’re about to get your happy ending and I’m not part of it…I really wish I’ve met you first,”

 

“Taemin,” Was the only thing I could say.

 

He laughed lightly as his hand fell down from my face to my hand. He clasped it, his gaze never leaving mine, “But hey, we’re soul mates. I hear soul mates meet again in another lifetime until they get their chance. At least that’s what I found on Google, but whateve-”

 

I launched myself at him and hugged him as tight as I could, “Ah I knew it, you always had a thing for me, Sun Haerin. You’re just too stubborn to admit it. Don’t worry, even if you came to me with real expensive Gucci eye bags I’d accept you,”

 

“You’re such a dummy. Will you be serious for at least five seconds? I’m about to cry an ocean here,” I said in the best reprimanding tone I have but my voice quivered. I failed to sound mad.

“If I start being serious I just might end up saying stupid things and convince you that you’re better off with me. But then that would be selfish and stupid because I know you’re always going to be happier with him,”

 

“Taem-”

 

He pulled away and chuckled at me, pinching me nose, “You’re so ugly when you cry so stop crying,”

 

“Wow, like you look any better.”

 

“Hey, who told who that I should be a celebrity?” He bit back as I scoffed, “You know I’m going to miss arguing with you about everything.”

 

“Don’t talk like we won’t see each other again. I’d still visit New York,” I said as he smiled warmly at me, “And I’d still argue with you and tell you how annoying you are. That won’t change, alright?”

 

He took a deep breath and nodded, “Of course. We can argue all we want in the future, Sun Haerin. And that’s a promise,” He suddenly lifted his fist and I gladly bumped my fist onto his own.

 

He stood up and put his hands inside the pocket of his coat, “Well, I’m going ahead now. I still need to pack my bags,”

 

“Okay,” I said, standing up, “Take care okay?”

 

He opened his arms widely and I laughed as I gave him a warm hug, “It was a pleasure meeting you amidst all the drama in your love life, Sun Haerin,”

 

“It was a pleasure getting dragged by you from the bookstore to my first flash mob Lee Taemin,” I replied.

 

He left that night and that was the last I’ve seen of Lee Taemin. Well, at least for now. I know I’m going to meet him again and he’s probably going to be more annoying than he usually is. Thinking about it, I’m thankful I’ve met him. Even for a short while, Taemin helped me through, he was there for me and never left my side. I also feel sorry for him because he got dragged into the drama of my life and I do hope even though it was like that, he’d never regret meeting me. Because I certainly do not regret meeting him.

 

Lee Taemin is a great guy. Any girl would be lucky to have him. Maybe if I weren’t deeply in love with Sehun, I would’ve given us a shot at love. But we both knew where we belong and if Google is right about what he said on the whole soul mate thing, maybe Lee Taemin and I would go beyond friendship in another lifetime…just not on this one.

 

 

 

Two days later, Sehun still wasn’t awake. He’s been in coma for more than a week now. The doctor told us to not let all our hopes go way too high because there’s no guarantee about Sehun’s safety. Right now, only machines are giving him life. Mr. and Mrs. Oh were probably more devastated than anyone of us. To see their only child lie in a hospital bed, unconscious, I could just imagine the pain they feel. It’s truly heart breaking. Mrs. Oh was keeping herself positive and told her husband that if he needed to go back to work then he may. He didn’t want to, but Mrs. Oh convinced him that everything was going to be fine and that he can go for now. So Mr. Oh left and went back to London.

 

When Mrs. Oh went back to the hotel with Kris and Tao to get changed, I was the one left to watch Sehun—like always. As much as the lads want to be there, every second and take shifts, Suho told them that they have to get their enrollments finished first. During afternoons, the boys would go visit him and most of the time only Jongin—among all of the guys—would stay up at least until dawn. He talks to Sehun like their maknae was conscious and he’d tell a lot of jokes, and stories about these new freshmen girls but of course at the end of their conversation, I’d find Jongin tearing up. He misses Sehun a lot.

 

“Hi Hunnie,” I muttered, holding his hand.

 

 

Sehun

 

Everything was black. I could not see things but I could only hear them. It was odd. I couldn’t feel a thing, too. The beeping beside me freaked me out and what freaked me out even more was the fact that I wanted to open my eyes but I can’t. My head pounded. I heard echoes of numerous conversations from familiar people—my hyungs, Haerin and my parents—I wanted to see them. I heard them talk about me numerous times about how worried they are. I heard them cry a bunch of times but I still couldn’t feel a thing.

 

“Hi Hunnie,” It’s her. It’s my Haerin. She paused and I heard her breathe heavily.

 

“Your dad flew back to London yesterday but your mom stayed. Both of them wanted to be here but your mom did a pretty great job convincing your dad that you were going to be fine soon,” She chuckled as I pictured my parents argue about it. The two of them always argued about me because mom would often take my side and dad would be frustrated about it all the time. Even over the phone I’d hear them still argue about me. It always

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter