Chapter 23

Bend or Break [2014 ver.]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER 23: GO.

 

Sehun

 

She was in the kitchen, cooking with Kyungsoo hyung and Chanyeol hyung. The whole apartment is so noisy, everyone is teasing her and asking her questions. I know some of them are only asking on my behalf, other than being curious. She’s been here since 7 am and it’s been an hour and a half ago since she arrived. I couldn’t help but just stare at her. She’s still so beautiful and radiant. I couldn’t let a word out of my mouth. She would occasionally glance at me, but it wouldn’t last for more than five seconds until she looks at someone else in the room and talk to them.

 

“So enrollment is coming soon, are you coming with us? We wanted to go there by Wednesday morning,” Jongin said as he sat on the stool by the counter.

 

“I’ll be going to campus but I won’t be enrolling,” She smiled as I widened my eyes for a moment in surprise.

 

“Why not?” Suho hyung asked.

 

“I’m only going to get my school papers for my enrollment in Columbia,”

 

“Columbia? You mean Columbia University in New York?” Kris hyung asked.

 

“Yeah. I’m transferring.” Her answer made me gape and the others gave me a look, “It’s a good school. My dad finished his college degree there,”

 

“So you’re not staying here for good?” I actually do not want to hear her answer to Tao’s question.

 

“No. After this ‘favor’, I’m flying back to New York,” She said as I felt my chest tighten. I don’t know exactly how far that is from here but I do know that if she stays there for good then there’s no chance of seeing her again. Ever.

 

“Wow, you can actually cook now,” Chanyeol hyung teased, dragging us away from the conversation of her leaving again.

 

“And look, you didn’t get any wounds and burns, I’m so proud of you,” Baekhyun hyung fake cried and threw his arms wide open to hug her. She just laughed at him and hugged him back. I want to hug you like that too.

 

“Yeah, remember when you cooked for Sehu-” Luhan hyung quickly nudged the talkative panda before he could finish his statement. Everyone had awkward smiles on their faces and she just laughed at everyone and then looked at me.

 

“Yeah I remember that,” She smiled and chuckled, her eyes still looking into mine, “I think I burned a lot of meat,” She then dragged her stare off of me and then eyed at Chanyeol hyung.

 

“That’s an understatement. You burned everything,” Chanyeol hyung teased as she laughed. I don’t know what could be more painful than see her laugh at the bitter memory that I still haven’t moved on from. I should’ve gone home that night and ate the food she cooked. Maybe if I weren’t so stupid then, she would’ve still been mine up to this day and forever.

 

“So how did you learn how to cook?” Lay hyung asked.

 

“Oh, my dad and his wife got this restaurant and I helped them out whenever I could. A few days later I just found myself experimenting recipes and stuff,” She said, putting tofu on the kimchi stew she was cooking with Kyungsoo hyung.

 

“What else did you learn in New York?” Kris hyung asked.

 

“Hmm,” She hummed as if contemplating and then she looked at me, “Sehun,” I think everyone was pretty shocked that she actually called me. Even I took a few seconds before I could respond.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Remember that show we used to watch?” She asked. We. I like the sound of that. Can ‘we’ happen again? I furrowed my eyebrows, “It’s this really huge group of people mobbing at random places, dancing and singing?”

“Oh yeah, we watched that a lot, didn’t we?” I asked as she nodded with a smile on her face. I don’t know if I should be happy or be sad because it’s like starting to take a walk down memory lane and I’m just not ready to reminisce those memories I haven’t moved on from.

 

“I witness one and I became a part of one,” She proudly stated.

 

“You’ve been part of a flash mob? How?” Xiumin hyung gasped. He had a thing for it, too. No wonder he sounds so amazed.

 

“Yeah, we have,”

 

“We? Who is ‘we’ exactly?” Jongin arched a brow.

 

“Lee Taemin, right?” I muttered, looking down. I then averted my gaze at her and she seemed to be caught a little off guard. She stared at me for a moment before she nodded. There was awkward silence in the room. No one talked. Our eyes did not leave each other’s gaze. I want to keep looking at her in the eye, let her know that I hate the thought of her with another guy.

 

“How long have you known each other? Five minutes?” The words just slipped out of my mouth, rudely in fact. I was beginning to feel the tension between us. Her lips pressed into a straight line as her brows furrowed.

 

She scoffed and smirked at me, “Don’t worry. I know him well enough to know he won’t sleep with my best friend,” I gaped at her response. Well I didn’t think she was going to take it to that part. Haerin wasn’t usually the type to rub off past mistakes in the present but I guess things changed—she changed.

 

“Woah, you got toasted right there.” Tao commented, making everyone glare at him.

 

“But then I might be wrong about it. I mean I’ve dated you for years and I thought I knew you well but it turns out I didn’t and maybe I never did,” She shrugged casually, mocking me. It was like she was saying it so bluntly on purpose to show me that it doesn’t affect her anymore. But the more she does this, the more I get the feeling that it’s still there. There’s still something for me.

 

“Never thought you’d blow it that low,” I shook my head.

 

“Don’t worry we all do things we never thought we’d do, as you very well demonstrated,” She smiled mockingly at me. I can feel her anger but she’s trying her best to be sarcastic about it, trying to put on this y front on me. I might deserve this but I don’t want her to become a monstrous insensitive girl all because an idiot like me broke her precious heart. She can hate me all she want, but I don’t want her to do this to herself.

 

“How low are you going to keep going, Haerin?” And Hyeri suddenly butted in. She’s finally awake.

 

Haerin smiled mockingly at her, “Definitely not as low as you did.”

 

“Why you-” Hyeri almost ran forward but I caught her wrist pulling her back to me before she could tackle Haerin. Hyeri looked up at me with angry, blazing eyes, “Let me go. I want to slap a ,” She said through gritted teeth as she eyed at Haerin.

 

“Well go ahead and slap yourself real hard,” Haerin said, smirking at Hyeri.

 

“Okay, that’s enough. It’s too early for this,” Suho hyung said.

 

“Haerin, enough. I thought you came here to help. Stressing Hyeri isn’t exactly the kind of help we need,” I said and she just smiled and looked down before looking at me again. I mentally kicked myself. That came out wrong. I meant to stop her but not that rudely.

 

“Okay,” She smiled at me and then took her bag. She hung her bag on her shoulder and then took out a small notebook, placing it on the table, “Here is the list of everything her mother asked me to do. I’m pretty sure you guys can handle following a list.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter