Chapter 25

Bend or Break [2014 ver.]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER 25: UNTOLD TRUTH

 

Haerin

 

Sitting up straight, I wiped my teary eyes. Suddenly his chest started to rise up and down vigorously and the heartbeat monitor made a fast sound. My eyes widened at the sight. His eyes were still closed but his chest won’t stop and his upper body was almost like shaking. I got scared. The heartbeat monitor won’t stop making the continuous alarming sound. Standing up I heard the door fly open as the doctor came in and nurses followed him behind. The defibrillator was by the bed. One nurse took me from my place and settled me aside.

 

“Clear!” The nurse yelled as the doctor pressed the defibrillator on his chest. His upper body rose up but lifeless as it fell down once again. My wide eyes just looked at him. I was gaping at him. I heard nothing. I just looked at Sehun. The doctor repeated the process and everything went slow as I felt my heart drop while tears filled the corner of my eyes. The doctor stopped using the defibrillator and started pumping his chest using his hands. He pressed down.

 

Sehun, come on. Wake up now. Come on. You have to make it baby. You can’t bail on me. Sehun open your eyes.

 

He pressed down again as the nurses were on standby. Still, Sehun did not move.

 

Sehun wake up! You can’t bail on me! You have to wake up. Sehun. Wake up. Come on. Don’t bail on me. There’s so much more for us. You can’t just leave me like this. Please baby. Just wake up. Sehun, please, I’m begging you, wake up!

 

And suddenly, the doctor stopped. The nurses bowed their heads as I looked at the heartbeat monitor with a straight line on the screen. The doctor released a small sigh and looked down on his watch.

 

“Time of death, 2:46 AM,” My heart dropped as I gaped and let the tears fall.

 

“No!” I yelled as I shoved away the nurses that were holding me and immediately ran to Sehun’s side. I placed both hands on his shoulders and shook his body, “Sehun, baby you have to wake up. Come on, don’t do this to me,” I said, my voice quivering at every word. Someone tried to pull me away.

 

“No! Don’t touch me!” I exclaimed at the nurses as I touched Sehun’s face, his cold skin made me want to run away from this, run away from the truth. He can’t be dead. He’s not dead, “Sehun don’t bail on me. Breathe,” I said as I tapped his cheeks. Tears rushed down from my eyes as I begged for him to wake up.

 

I placed both of my hands on his chest and started pressing down some pressure. I pumped his chest as I let my palm feel his heart, not beating underneath his skin.

 

“Breathe. Come on. Breathe, Sehun. Breathe, baby.” I muttered as I continued to pump but he won’t. I stopped. I stopped and stared down at him, my tears dropping on his cold pale skin. I bit my lower lip trying not to let a sob escape my lips.

 

I felt my heart clench, my stomach churn and a lump on my throat. Letting my head down, I pressed my forehead on his chest as I cried, “No…you can’t leave me yet. We have so much more to life. You promised. Please. I’d do anything. I’d do anything just wake up. We need you. I need you. Please,” I continued to sob, almost choking.

 

“I love you so much,” I whispered, crying.

 

“Excuse me, Miss,” I felt a nurse try to pull me away but I won’t budge, “Miss. You aren’t allowed to stay here,” The nurse said but I ignored her. I just cried and hugged Sehun. I don’t want to go anywhere. I want to stay here. I don’t want to leave.

 

“Miss. You can’t stay in here,” She repeated and I ignored. I felt a pair of strong arms pull me off and I tried to fight it but they were too strong. I cried hard as I tried to go back but then everything went black…

 

“Excuse me, miss,” I felt someone tap my shoulder as I furrowed my brows and slowly opened my eyes. A female nurse was staring down at me, she looked a bit confused and shocked as I woke up, “You aren’t allowed to stay here Miss,”

 

I immediately sat up properly and then looked at Sehun’s bed. He was there. He was still there. The heartbeat monitor was behind me still beeping normally. It was all a nightmare. None of it was real. He’s still alive. I bowed my head at the nurse. I realized that I was still holding Sehun’s hand and I actually slept in his room. I must’ve fallen asleep after crying so hard.

 

I was sent out though against my will. A nurse helped me back to my room. Truthfully, I was scared to go away. What if that nightmare turns into real life? No. I’d die if that happens. We passed by the nurse’s counter and saw the wall clock say it’s 8:53 am. So I did spend the night with Sehun in the ICU. I still feel the ache all over my body but I tried hard not to wince every five seconds. I want to recover soon so I can visit Sehun more. I got back to my room. When the door opened, a small group was huddled in a circle and one of them is my dad.

 

“You were supposed to look after her!!!”

 

“We’re sorry sir. She was here before we slept. We didn’t think she’d-”

 

“Dad?” I arched a brow and heads turned to look at me. He immediately ran to me and gave me a tight hug. It physically ached.

 

“Honey where have you been?! Why weren’t you in your room?!” He was almost yelling but I knew it was only because he got worried. Pulling away from the hug I got a good look of the group of guys behind him, Luhan, Xiumin, Lay are now with Jongin and Taemin.

 

“I was at the ICU, in Sehun’s room,” His face cringed at my answer. It’s almost like he didn’t want to hear it. I ignored his facial reaction and started to limp back to the bed.

“I talked to your doctor. You’re going to be discharged tomorrow and we’re going back to New York,” I gaped at him. He gave the guys a look and they all immediately went out the room except for Taemin who stood just by the door quietly. I frowned at him, “Haerin, don’t give me that look, we’re going back to New York.”

 

“But-”

 

“No more but’s!” He exclaimed as I was quite taken aback with how much he raised his voice at me, “I told you going back here was insane but you still went and now look at you! You almost got into a car accident!”

 

“I’m not going anywhere. I’m staying here.”

 

“For what reason?! For Sehun?! Haerin, I thought you moved on-”

 

“Everyone thought I did! But no, I did not. I’m not going anywhere until he wakes up. I want to be there the moment he open his eyes again! I’m not going back to New York and that’s it, dad!” I yelled. Frustrated, he turned his back on me but I can hear him breathe heavily. I realized that I was gripping on the bed sheet, white knuckles showing.

 

“What about getting into Columbia? You’re just going to throw that plan away for a boy who almost made you miserable-”

 

“No dad, for the guy who loves me enough to save my life. If you’re missing one detail, he saved my life. He’s in there because of me. If it weren’t for him, you would probably be arranging my funeral right now. So I’m staying whether you like it or not. I’m sorry.” Dad gaped at me afte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter