09

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

 

“In Hae ah,” Myungsoo blinked, smiling to his sleeping younger sister. He took a seat beside In Hae’s bed. In Hae’s eyes gradually fluttered opened. She smiled sleepily upon looking at her oppa. 

“Hi oppa,” In Hae greeted. She took a glance of the clock on a table beside her bed. It showed 5pm. “Why are you late?”

Myungsoo smiled at her. “Sorry, I had work to do. Is my In Hae doing alright?”

In Hae rapidly nodded. She looked at Myungsoo with a down expression. “I’m sorry that oppa have to work very hard for me,” she said, playing with her own fingers. 

Myungsoo gently ruffled her hair. “It’s alright. I’m doing all these because I love you.” 

“Myungsoo oppa, Dr Moon said she wanna meet you...” In Hae told, eyes were still sticking on her oppa. 

“Really?” Myungsoo said, raising an brow. He smiled, pulling the blanket up till In Hae’s shoulders. “I’ll be going. See you tomorrow.” He kissed her forehead before leaving.


Myungsoo kept fiddling his fingers. It was obvious that he was nervous. He was waiting for someone at the hospital cafe. When he heard footsteps coming to him he instantly shifted his gaze from his cappuccino to the direction of the footsteps. Chaewon was heading toward him with a small smile. She took a seat opposite him. 

“I don’t know if you like latte,” Myungsoo said, his eyes went down to a cup of latte, letting Chaewon know that the drink was hers. 

“Oh latte. Thank you.” Chaewon gave a warm smile to Myungsoo. She took a sip of the latte before anything started.

“In Hae needs a surgery...” Chaewon started, looking professional as usual. She tried her best to keep her face relaxed. 

Myungsoo heaved a sigh. He knew this day would come. “When?” he asked, his voice was a bit trembling.

“As soon as possible. If her surgery is delayed any longer, she will be having many complications during the surgery,” Chaewon softly explained. 


Chaewon landed her body softly on a couch in the doctors’ room. She leaned her back comfortably on the couch, resting her head while closing her eyes. She was thinking hard about something. The something had made her became a little emotional. She felt her eyes were warm. Chaewon opened her eyes and straightened her body to find Joongki was sitting beside her, smiling brightly as he uttered “Hi” to her. The moment Chaewon opened her eyes, she burst into a flood of tears. Watching her breaking into tears, Joongki went panic, not knowing the reason she was crying. But then, slowly he wrapped his arms around her shoulders, patting her back softly as if it would soothe her. 


“Are you feeling better?” Joongki asked, passing her a cup of hot chocolate. Their favorite. He took a seat beside her on the bench. They were at hospital’s playground. 

“A bit. Thank you.” Chaewon gave him a weak smile. She slowly sipped her drink. 

“Mind on sharing? It’s okay if you don’t want to.”

Chaewon let out a heavy sigh. She was trying to dig a 12-years-old memory. The memory was still attached strongly in her mind. “I was 16 when it happened. My younger brother suffered the same illness as In Hae. He was 13 years old at that time. He needed surgery but-” Unknowingly Chaewon’s tears started to stream down to her cheeks. It was a painful memory. “My family was so poor that we couldn’t afford the surgery. We tried to get help but it was late. He did the surgery but because of too many complications, he died.” Chaewon’s sob started to get heavier. Her body was moving up and down continuously. “I don’t want the same thing happen to In Hae. I can’t let that happen....”

Joongki scooted closer to Chaewon, instantly gave a soothing hug. He exhaled heavily. Rather than saying anything, he remained silent as it was the best comforter.


“Sorry that I can’t walk you home, night shift,” Joongki uttered in annoyance. “I’ll kill you Dr Shin.”

Chaewon laughed. “He has emergency ok. He wouldn’t switch the shift with you for nothing. Be considerate.”

“Whatever. You’re ok walking home alone?” Joongki asked, looking at her worryingly.

"I’m perfectly fine Mr Boyfriend. And for your information, all these time I’ve been walking home alone at night, obviously without you,” Chaewon stated firmly. “Stop worrying. We didn’t even officially dating and it hasn’t been 24 hour yet. You wanna a break up?” She raised a brow, completely teasing her over-reacted boyfriend. 

“Fine! Go home safely. Bye,” Joongki waved his hand with a bright smile on his face. Chaewon laughed at Joongki’s fake smile. It was obvious that he was faking the bright smile.

“Send me off with a fake bright smile? Wow thank you so much. Bye,” Chaewon shot a sweet smile and walked off.

"Am I dating with the right person?" Joongki asked himself and shook his head. "I don't know anymore."


Kim Myungsoo is making appearance as cameo! Haha I'm so in love with him lately. Btw, I didn't specifically state In Hae's illness because I'm not a medic student. Hope you understand. Thanks for everything! Appreciate it so much^^