07

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

It was dinner time. Both of them were in a vintage-decor restaurant, sitting opposite of each other with sour faces and crossing arms. Both. 

A waiter beside their table was awkwardly standing. He could feel negative auras around the two.

Silent.

“May I take your order now?” The waiter asked, breaking the long, awkward silent. 

“Yes.” Both of them answered in unison, sounding a bit stern. Glaring to each other, they turned their gaze on the menus. 

“Hot chocolate please.” Both of them again said simultaneously. Chaewon gave Joongki a dead glare. 

“Why are you following me?”

“I’m not! And you, why are you following me?”

“I’m not! Why did you order that?”

“Because I love hot chocolate.”

“Fine! I love hot chocolate too.”

The waiter shook his head looking at the two pediatricians. These kind of people are still exist? Amusing.

“This is so childish. Why are we doing this? Arguing like a kid,” Joongki said, sighing deeply.

“It was you!”

“What I’ve ever done that make you this mad at me, Chaewon-ssi?”

“You were mad at me!” Chaewon stated.

“Of course I was. You were flirting with the main male musical cast!” Joongki gritted his teeth, narrowing his eyes at Chaewon.

“Ha! First of all, he’s a freaking idol. Yang Yoseop is a part of BEAST, a Korean boy band. Don’t you know BEAST? What a waste if you don’t. Second of all, he was my junior during high school and last but not least, we were given chance to meet the musical casts, of course I wouldn’t miss it.”

Silent.

“It’s because I was jealous.” Joongki exhaled. He wasn’t intend to tell that but he did anyway.

“Jea...lous?” Chaewon bit her bottom lip.

“Yes. I was jealous seeing you flirting with the Yang whatever.” 

Silent.

“And you, Moon Chaewon! It’s irrelevant that you mad at me because I was mad at you,” Joongki stated, crossing his arms.“I still remember that day. I was freakingly mad at you and you were still chilling around like nothing happened. That day, you really made my blood boiled real hard. But heh, you left me there just like that.”

Chaewon blinked, frowning.

Joongki brought his body to the front, closer to Chaewon, narrowing his eyes. “You have other reason for being mad, right?”

Yes! The reason I'm being mad is you were flirting with the female musical casts! Chaewon bit her bottom lip, feeling butterflies in her stomach. “W-What do you mean by that?” she asked, almost stuttering. Her eyes slightly widened but they were barely seen.

Joongki eyed her for a while before turning back to his seat. “Don’t mind my question. You would freak out when I asked if you have any other reason for being mad.”

Chaewon softly sighed. It was a relief sigh.

Both of them were eating. Silence filled the air. But not until,

“I have something to tell,” both of them spoke in unison. Laughter followed afterward.

“You first, Joongki-ssi,” Chaewon said, smiling.

“Why don’t you first?” Joongki asked.

“No, you first.”

“Fine.” Joongki cleared his throat. He was hesitating. Taking a deep breath, he exhaled. “I’m getting married next month.”

Ting!

A fork fell on the floor. 

“Oops, my bad,” Chaewon said, shifting her gaze to the fallen fork. A waiter came and picked up the fork before giving her another one.

Chaewon continued eating her food. “Specific date?” She didn’t lift up her face.

“15th October.” And today was 26th September.

Chaewon froze. Her tongue was tied. That is.....soon.

“Mom wants me to get married as soon as possible. I don’t even know who is my future wife. But hearing how mom told about her, she seems like from a good family. She’ll be good I think,” Joongki told. A sorrow laughter followed after. He smiled. His smile was sad. “You’re the first person I told. Everyone else, tomorrow maybe.”

Chaewon curved a small smile, didn’t look Joongki straight in the eyes. “Congratulation...for your marriage.”

Joongki replied her smile. “Thank...you.”

Again, silence filled the air. 

“What do you wanna tell me?” Joongki asked.

“Uh?” 

“I said, what do you wanna tell me?”

“Oh. Hmm, it’s nothing important,” Chaewon said.

“Are you really not gonna tell me?” Joongki made a face, sulking.

Chaewon gave him a smile. “Really. It’s nothing important.”

“Yah Moon Chaewon.”

“I’m being serious okay,” Chaewon stated. 

“Fine...Chaewon-ssi, why are your eyes getting watery?”

“Uh? There’s dust entering my eyes,” Chaewon chuckled awkwardly, rubbing her eyes.

“Idiot, I’m not a fool okay. Spill it.”

“I’m fine. Don’t worry.”

“Chaewon-ssi...”

“Joongki-ssi, I am fine.” Chaewon said, stern. Her eyes were fiery. 

There was nothing Joongki could do to persuade her anymore once Chaewon got her eyes fiery. 

“Fine then.”

And for the nth times, silence filled the air.

***
The atmosphere wasn’t that good that they finished their dinner early.

“We’ve reached your home,” Joongki told. “Are you sure about not telling me?” 

Chaewon nodded while staring into the air. “Thank you for sending me home.” She was about to get out from the car. But something held her up.

“Chaewon-ssi,” Joongki called, holding her hand. “What’s wrong? Tell me what’s wrong....I beg you.”

Chaewon bit her bottom lips. Her body was starting to shake slowly. She couldn’t hold it anymore. Finally tears that she was holding up heavily rolled down. 

“I-I....” Her voice was shaking. “...like you. That’s what I tried to tell. I like you, Joongki-ssi...but it’s too late now,” she said, gently pushing away Joongki’s grip on her hand. Slowly she made her way out from the car. Wiping up her tears, she dragged her feet into her house. 

“Chaewon-ssi.” She heard her name was called but she didn’t stop because she knew it was Joongki. 

“Chaewon-ssi.” Joongki stepped in front of her, stopping Chaewon. Chaewon didn’t lift her face up. 

“It’s never too late.” 

Joongki cupped her face with his both hands and kissed her on the lips.