02

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

But, was it as easy as a piece of cake Moon Chaewon accepted Song Joongki?

 

"Chaewon-ssi, I like you."

Chaewon was definitely taken aback. After staring at him blankly for 10 secs, she chuckled and rolled her eyes.

“Ey Joongki-ssi, don't play that joke on me. It's not funny. I might crush your so-called handsome face for real." 

"But I-" Joongki's sentence was stopped by ring of his phone. He immediately picked up the phone when he saw Pediatric Department on the screen. 

"There's emergency. A huge glass fell on an 8 years old boy. They said there's too much bleeding." Joongki told Chaewon. "We'll talk about this later." In no time, both of them sprinted to Pediatric Department. 

"What happened?" Joongki asked as soon as they reached. 

"A glass, as huge as him fell on him. The pieces of the glass go through his front body. Bleeding is coming from this side, Dr. Song. I suspect internal bleeding," Dr. Shin (1st year resident) explained, showing the boy's right waist. 

"Do a CT scan, call Chief and get an operating room now!" Joongki firmly instructed. Dr. Shin nodded and rushed away. 

"Let me join too!" Chaewon said firmly in the middle in preparing for the surgery. 

"You cannot! I cannot let you. He bleeds way too much!" Joongki replied, almost yelling at her. 

"I can do this..." her voice trailed off. 

"I won't let you. Stay here or you're not gonna get into OR for a week," Joongki warned. His expression was serious but his gaze was soft. Chaewon finally gave in. She wanted to participate really bad but somehow she thought that she would be a trouble to the surgery. With heavy heart, she went out from the surgery preparation room. 

~||~

“In Hae ah, you went out again today?” Chaewon asked, raising an eyebrow suspiciously. She was doing In Hae’s daily check up. In Hae shook her head. 

“Ey, you’re obviously lying. I’m Dr. Moon, no one ever escapes from my lie detector.” Chaewon smiled. In Hae let out a sigh. 

“I’m bored staying in this place, Dr Moon. I just went for a walk and an ice cream. Suddenly craving for it...” In Hae bit her bottom lip. She knew Chaewon wouldn’t scold her but she made her worried. Chaewon smiled and ruffled her hair softly.

“You should have told me to get you ice cream.”

“But...Dr Moon is busy,” In Hae said, pouting cutely. She stared the floor, playing with her fingers. Chaewon chuckled. 

“It’s not like I’m busy all the time. Next time, tell me alright?” she uttered.

“And you can tell me too,” a voice from behind Chaewon chimed in. In Hae’e eyes brightened. Her lips curved a wide smile.

“Really Dr Song?” she asked excitedly. Joongki nodded and smiled. 

“Wah! Dr Song and Dr Moon are the best!” In Hae claimed, giving them thumbs up. Both Chaewon and Joongki smiled sheepishly at In Hae. 

“Are you really gonna buy In Hae ice cream?” Chaewon asked suspiciously as they walked away from In Hae’s bed. Joongki nodded.

“Yeah....why?” he blinked innocently. 

“Nothing. Since you wanna buy for her, I won’t then. Good luck in spending your money,” Chaewon said, faking a sweet smile at him and walked away while rolling her eyes. But then, she stopped halfway and turned around to Joongki. 

“An ice cream a day okay?” She faked another sweet smile and walked away.

“W-What the...? Yah! You should buy for her too!” Joongki yelled irritatingly, instantly following Chaewon to rant at her.

~||~

Chaewon-ssi, I like you 

Chaewon opened her closed eyes and let out a sigh. She didn’t even know why the earlier scene kept playing in her mind. He was just joking right? She asked the question to herself for the nth times. She turned her body to the left as she was currently laying her body on the bed in a prepared staff room. She turned her body to the right as she felt slightly anxious. Keep on thinking about the earlier scene, Chaewon groaned in frustration. 

“Chaewon ah, I wanna sleep. Let me sleep please...” a voice spoke, it sounded more to plead. Chaewon bit her bottom lip, feeling guilty for waking up her colleague who was sleeping on top of her bed. 

“Sorry Hyemi...” 

Chaewon sighed and shut her eyes tight, trying to get some sleep.

~||~

Chaewon groaned soft but sleepily when she heard her name was called. She was pretty sure it was a man’s voice calling her. What?! Chaewon’s eyes immediately shot opened as wide as she was shocked. 

“Dr Song! What are you doing here?!” she exclaimed. Joongki was squatting beside the bed she was sleeping, smiling creepily. Yes, he seemed creepy. 

“Shh!” Joongki shut her up with his index finger. “You’ll wake Hyemi!” he whispered. Chaewon’s eyes were still wide opened. 

“You shouldn’t, no, you cannot come into here. It’s staff room for girls!” she whispered back at him. Joongki shrugged. 

“I don’t care.” He stuck out his tongue playfully. He took Chaewon’s hand and pulled her to get up. Chaewon was startled by Joongki’s action, her eyes grew even bigger. She instantly pulled her hand away from his. But his grip on her hand was tighter. Joongki smirked.

“What are you doing?!” Chaewon raised her voice. She was slightly panicked. She was never been held by a man like this. Plus, Joongki was in staff room for girls. No man was allowed!

“Chill girl. I won’t do anything to you...” Joongki said and smiled sweetly. “We need to talk.” He pulled her to get up but Chaewon refused. She tried to release his grip on her hand. 

“Why should we talk?” She frowned. “It’s not like we argue over something or anything.”

“You’re such a forgetful girl, Moon Chaewon.” Joongki’s lips curved a small smile and chuckled. Chaewon frowned even more. She was completely blank on what Joongki was talking about. She could be blur sometimes. Joongki released his grip. 

“Just follow me for a while, will you? I’ll wait for you outside. Go wash your face first,” he uttered and smiled before walking out from the staff room. Frown was still on Chaewon’s face. Unsure about it, she went to wash her face and meet up Joongki who was waiting outside the room.

~||~

“Why are we here?” 

“We need to talk.”

“Why should we?”

Joongki laughed. I asked him and he laughed? Why I even friend with this weird guy? And what he wants to talk about? Chaewon rolled her eyes. 

“Is your memory always this worst after waking up from sleep?” Joongki asked her.

Chaewon bit her bottom lip. Kind of. She didn't say that loud. Ignoring his question,

“So, what do you to talk about? Stop wasting my time, I need to check on Woohyun,” she said, raising her eyebrows, staring at Joongki. She was obviously giving excuse to escape from there. Joongki stepped in front of Chaewon, facing her. Chaewon was slightly taken aback.

Joongki took her hands into his. Chaewon was completely taken aback. Her eyes grew wide at the touch. Dugun dugun. Her fast beating heart came back. 

“Chaewon-ssi, it wasn’t a joke. I really like you...” Gasp. 

The sentence was uttered softly by Joongki. He stared at her right into her eyes with his slight serious but soft expression. Making eye contact was one way to tell Chaewon that he was saying the truth.

Silent.

After seconds, giggle was heard. It came from,

“Joongki-ssi, stop playing okay?” Chaewon said, stopping herself from giggling. “Okay, I admit your acting was undeniably good. Are you going to audition or something?”

“I-”

Chaewon took a glance of her phone. “I need to go, see you around.” She smiled, turning away to leave. It was barely two steps ahead, Chaewon felt her back was warm, a pair of arms was around her neck. She froze. Her heart was uncontrollably beating. Joongki was back-hugging her.