03

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

 

She froze. Moon Chaewon froze because Song Joongki was back-hugging her. This was the first time her heart exploded this bad. Because of Song Joongki.

“I’m not joking. I like you for real.”

Chaewon was still frozen. Because of the back-hug. Joongki turned her around, facing him. He held her shoulders, lowering his face until their eyes met. 

“What made you think I’m joking?” he asked. His eyes were asking for answer, too. Chaewon bit her bottom lip. It was awkward to be in the situation; when after he back-hugged her and confessed to her. She avoided his eyes. Making eye contact made her more nervous and anxious.

“Y-You’re always joking around. You often lie to people too,” she was almost stuttering. Chaewon didn’t expect that she could talk that well. Joongki’s lips curved a smile. 

“I’m not lying right now. And you know that.” His smile turned wider. “You’re a lie detector, everyone knows that. And there’s no use lying when you’re around anyway.” 

Chaewon stared at him, straight into his eyes. He is not lying. She bit her lip. He is not lying. 

“I’m not expecting you to accept me right away. I just want you to know and acknowledge my feeling.” Joongki gave her a sincere sweet smile. “Just because I like you, I’m not going to force you to like me back. Well, you know, people nowadays tend to force people they like to like them back or force them to be in relationship. Some even got killed for rejecting. World is scary. I-"

Chaewon burst into a laughter. Joongki stopped talking and looked at her in bewilderment. “Why did you laugh?” he blinked.

“Stop watching Korean dramas or reading melodrama novels, will you? You sound like my mom.”

“I don’t watch drama or read melodrama novels. I’m stating the fact okay.”

“Still sound like my mom.” Chaewon continued laughing. 

“Do you love your mom?” Joongki asked, looking at her. The question was out of blue. 

“What a question. Of course! I love her very much!” she said, smiling all over her face. 

Joongki grinned. “That’s mean, you will love me very much!” he claimed excitedly. 

Chaewon’s face turned serious. She was staring at him like she wanted to eat him. Literally. 

“It’s not funny. Okay.” Joongki nodded, taking a step backward. “I get it. I’m not gonna use that kind of joke anymore,” still nodding while stepping backward. He grinned widely and started to yell. “But, not promise! Run! Save your life from Moon Chaewon!”

With that he ran away from Moon Chaewon who had a small smile on her face. 

~||~

“Chaewon ah, are you okay?” Hyemi asked It was quite worrying her because Chaewon was never like this.

“Uh? I’m okay,” Chaewon answered, looking surprised hearing the question. “Why did you ask?” There was a frown on her face.

“It’s nothing really. But lately, you smile a lot. It’s so not you and kind of scaring me to be honest. But however, it’s a good thing though.” Hyemi smiled at her. “Did something good happen?”

Chaewon laughed awkwardly, but inside she was feeling embarrassed and happy at the same time.

 

An arm slung around her neck, making Chaewon stopped her pace and glared at the arm’s owner. The arm’s owner gave her a wide grin. 

“Hi!” Joongki greeted, not removing his arm around her neck. He was all smiling. Chaewon rolled her eyes. 

“Get this-”

“Get this off me or I’ll smash your so called handsome face,” Joongki said, mocking her. He smiled innocently at her. “I’ve heard this sentence for millionth times already. Don’t you have any other words to say? Like, ‘Get this off me or I’ll kiss you’ huh? That sounds better,” he teased, grinning. 

Dugun dugun. Why is he doing this to me? Chaewon bit her bottom lip while sending Joongki a dead glare. Before Chaewon could even react,

“See you around,” Joongki winked, walking away. 

 

“Are you thinking about me, Chaewon-ssi?” 

Chaewon awoke from her reverie. Joongki was sitting opposite her instead of Hyemi. Both of them were eating lunch earlier. Chaewon rolled her eyes. 

“Why should I?”

Joongki shrugged. “You’re all smiling and daydreaming. I’m pretty sure it was about me.”

“Pfft, please. Stop daydreaming okay?” Chaewon said. “Where’s Hyemi?”

Joongki shrugged. “She left just after I greet her earlier. Emergency maybe. Woah, seems like you think about me a lot that you didn’t realize Hyemi’s leaving.” He grinned at her. 

Ignoring the last sentence, Chaewon asked, “Hmm, have you eaten?”

Joongki’s eyes brightened at her question. “Aw, are you worrying about me? That’s sweet of you. But don’t worry anymore, I’ve eaten,” he said along with his sweet smile. Chaewon rolled her eyes, annoyed. 

“Nobody is worrying about you not eating,” she scoffed. “Good then if you have eaten. Buy lunch for Dr Shin. He asked me to buy for him but since you’re here, you buy for him, Dr Song.” 

Joongki narrowed his eyes, eyeing her. There was a sense of jealousy in him. Indeed he was jealous. 

“Why do you want to buy lunch for him?” he asked monotonously. He sounded like a detective who was interrogating his criminal and Chaewon was aware of it. She decided to a bit. Just a bit.

“Because he asked me to.”

“Why did he ask you? There was no one else?”

“There was. But I was there....?” Chaewon intentionally said like that. 

“He could have asked other people but why you?”

“Hmm, maybe because he likes me?” 

Chaewon made assumption but she knew that it wasn’t the truth. Well, Dr Shin was their junior. It was possible for Dr Shin to like her but she won’t ever make it possible. Joongki’s expression turned sour. Chaewon was already laughing so hard inside watching his expression. She tried so hard not to burst it out. Joongki sighed and stared straight into Chaewon’s eyes. At a point they made eye contact. During the point, a question had been asked and a heart started to beat faster and uncontrollable upon hearing the question.