04

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

*Note: I'm not a medical student, so, the medical term might be in wrong used (I did some research beforehand) But well, I'm still a science student LOL

“Don’t you like me?” His expression was serious but his gaze was loving and soft. Chaewon bit her bottom lip. The question was too sudden or only she felt like that or it was both.

“I mean, I told you that I like you. Don’t you feel anything toward me? Not slightest bit?” Joongki stared straight into her eyes. His eyes were slightly hurt. Probably his heart was more hurt. Chaewon started to get nervous and anxious. Her tongue was tied.

Ring!

Joongki’s phone rang. The question remained unanswered. 

~||~

“Tell me,” Joongki said.

“Abdominal pain. There’s a slight swelling on the right side of lower abdomen,” Dr Shin explained. 

“Appendicitis?”

“No, because she already had appendicitis surgery months ago.”

“Name. Age.”

“Yang Haeyeon. 11 years old.”

Joongki’s eyes slightly widened. He finally took a glance of the kid’s face. Chaewon looked at Joongki with curious expression. He knew this kid? 

“Do CT scan now,” Joongki ordered.

Dr Shin nodded. “Yes, Dr Song.”

 

All the doctors from Pediatric Department gathered in meeting room. They were waiting for Chief Seo’s arrival before could start the discussion.

“Sorry I was late,” Chief Seo said, taking a seat. “Dr Song, you may start the explanation.”

Joongki cleared his throat. “Yang Haeyeon, 11 year old. Severe abdominal pain. Based on the tests and scans...” Everyone’s eyes were focusing on the big screen in front of them as Joongki started to explain further. 

“Dr Song,” Chief Seo called. 

“Yes?” Joongki raised his brows, face facing his leader. 

“This will be your first surgery. Dr Moon will be your 1st assist and Dr Jang, 2nd assist.”

“Yes, Chief Seo,” Joongki, Chaewon and Hyemi answered in unison.

 

Beep beep.

The operating room was silent. The only thing made sound was only the machines. 

“Is the anesthesia ready?” Joongki asked. The anesthesiologist nodded. “Vital?” 

“It’s good.” A nurse told. Joongki turned to his 1st and 2nd assist pediatricians. “Are we ready?” 

A serious look was on his face. Chaewon and Hyemi nodded. Joongki took a deep breath, holding out his hand. “Scalpel.”

“Retractor.”

“Gauze.”

“Forcep.”

“Scissor.”

“Suction.”

And the surgery went on.

“Dr Song! Bleeding!”

As a surgeon, Joongki didn’t get panic so easily. He then asked for more gauze.

“The bleeding is getting heavier!” Hyemi said, stern. Red color could be seen very clearly and everywhere. 

“Prepare for blood transfusion!” Joongki ordered. His gaze turned to Chaewon who was right opposite him. She was in state like Joongki had predicted.

Her eyes were wide looking at all the flowing blood. Sweats were all over her seen face (obviously she wore mask). Her hands were shaking very badly. The scissor she was holding almost escaped from her grip. 

“Dr Moon, are you okay?” he asked. There was no answer from Chaewon. Joongki held her shaky hand. Chaewon looked up, making eye contact with Joongki. Fear was written all over her face. 

“Get out, now,” he softly instructed. 

Chaewon shook her head. “I can do this...” her voice trailed off. 

“No. Get out now, please, Dr Moon.” His voice was begging. His eyes too. Slowly, Chaewon put away the medical tools. She walked backward step by step and walked out from the operating room when Joongki ordered Hyemi to be his 1st assist and Dr Shin as 2nd. 

 

“Have you seen Dr Moon around?” Joongki asked Nurse Kim who was at reception desk of Pediatric Department. Nurse Kim shook her head. 

“What happened in the operating room? I heard you...chased her out,” Nurse Kim asked as she uttered it carefully. Joongki’s lips curved a smile.

“It’s nothing big. It was just a personal thing...” he told, giving Nurse Kim a reassurring smile before walking away to find Moon Chaewon. Personal? It can’t be..... Nurse Kim’s eyes grew wide. Unknowingly, she smirked. This gossip gonna be a big hit!

~||~

He climbed up the stairs, slowly. He didn’t know how many stairs already he climbed. Perhaps thousand? More or less. Joongki let out a sigh. He took a sit on a bench near the hospital’s corridor. Where are you, Chaewon-ssi? Ah! I know where she is. Ugh why I didn’t even think this place before?! He hit himself on the head. Literally. 

 

Playground. Hospital’s playground. This was where Chaewon sitting since earlier. Joongki approached Chaewon slowly from behind. She was sitting on a swing. Looking at her, Joongki could still sense fear in her. Her hands were still shaking, slightly (even though after 2 hours passed since the incident). Joongki kneeled in front of her, making Chaewon surprised by his presence. 

“Are you okay, Chaewon-ssi?” he asked, staring gently into her eyes. Chaewon bit her bottom lip. She didn’t know whether she was okay or not.

Joongki brought his body closer to hers, arms wrapping around her body. Chaewon’s body started to move up and down. She naturally buried her face on his shoulder and cried. 

 

Flashback

Joongki got a call from Chaewon that night. He wasn’t expecting Chaewon to call him that night. At all. 

“Hello Chaewon-ssi, may I help you?” Joongki heard sobbing on the other line.

“Joongki-ssi....” The sobbing sound was getting louder. And it worried Joongki eventhough Chaewon was merely a colleague of his.

“Chaewon-ssi...are you alright?” he asked.

“...Joongki-ssi...help me....” 

“Help you?” Joongki started to get panic. He had a bad thought. “Chaewon-ssi, are you in danger?”

“...No...Joongki-ssi, come and help me....please....” Chaewon was pleading. Her voice sounded sorrow and scared. And it was obvious that her voice were shaking very badly.

“Alright Chaewon-ssi, give me your address.”

 

Tok! Tok! Tok! 

The door was knocked more than thrice. 

“Chaewon-ssi! Chaewon-ssi! Are you in there?” Joongki called from outside of the house. Since there was no answer, he decided to barge in. To his surprise, he didn’t even need to ruin the door because it wasn’t locked. 

“Chaewon-ssi...?”

Gasp. His eyes widened at the sight. Probably the widest eyes he ever opened. The view was just too shocking to even process in his brain or to even look at.