05

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

 

Joongki shoved off the flashback. He didn’t want to remember the incident anymore. He tried hard to forget the incident but it remained fresh in his memory. Chaewon was still crying on his shoulder. He patted her on the back, softly like he would do it every time Chaewon face this kind of problem. And every time, he would and managed to calm her down. 

“Thank you Joongki-ssi...” she said, after crying for almost 30 minutes. Joongki smiled. 

“I told you for countless time already. No need to thank me for this.”

“But still...”

“Okay. Whatever. By the way, I’m sorry,” Joongki uttered, looking down on the ground. Chaewon raised a brow, looking at him. 

“For?”

“Being a jerk by asking ‘don’t you like me?’ earlier. I wasn’t supposed to ask or force you to like me back because I don’t have any right. I was just....” Joongki exhaled. “...I don’t know. Maybe I was just curious how you feel about me after all the things we went through together.”

Chaewon exhaled, changing her gaze to the front. “You’re not a jerk. And to be honest....I don’t know. I don’t know how I really feel about you. But most of the time, it was...” She turned to him. “Comfortable.” 

Joongki’s head perked up. 

“Especially when I was having this problem. You’re such a comfort to me. If you weren’t there that night, I probably went insane already by now...”

Chaewon laughed. A sorrow laugh. 

 

Flashback

Tok! Tok! Tok! 
The door was knocked more than thrice. 

“Chaewon-ssi! Chaewon-ssi! Are you in there?” Joongki called from outside of the house. Since there was no answer, he decided to barge in. To his surprise, he didn’t even need to ruin the door because it wasn’t locked. 

“Chaewon-ssi...?”

Gasp. His eyes widened at the sight. Probably the widest eyes he ever opened. The view was just too shocking to even process in his brain or to even look at. 

He saw Chaewon sitting on the floor, hugging her knees tightly, her face buried into it. Her body was shaking real bad. Red color of blood was everywhere in the living room. Literally. Joongki saw five bodies fulled of blood laying on the floor in different position. He stunned seeing all those. There wasn’t even a movement from him. He was just too shocked.

Chaewon’s sob filled the house, awaking Joongki from staring at the horrifying scene. Joongki immediately walk to Chaewon and hugged her. He believed, Chaewon was innocent.

The rest was history.

End flashback

 

“You are always by my side ever since the incident. You were always by my side whenever I was shaking very badly because of blood. I literally forget the incident whenever I’m with you. It’s like magic but sometimes it’s like a jinx. When you’re not around, I got scared easily when I saw just a bit of red color. It was like a curse that I had to suffer from.” Tears rolled down her cheeks. She instantly wiped them off. The more she did, the more tears came out. 

A pair of arms wrapped around her body, giving her comfort and warmth. 

***

“Dr. Song,” Mina called. 

“Yes, Mina?” Joongki raised an eyebrow. He was doing her check up. 

“Do you have someone you like?” 

“Of course.” Joongki smiled sweetly. “She's really pretty. Like a goddess.” Mina pouted cutely. 

“Who is she? Is she prettier than me?” Joongki chuckled and pretended that he was thinking. 

“No, you're prettier.” He gently pinched her nose and smiled. “Have you eaten your medicine Mina?” Mina nodded and grinned. Joongki smiled and ruffled her hair. 

“Good girl. I'm going.” 

“Dr. Song wait a moment,” 6 years old Mina said. 

“What is it?” 

“Come closer. I need to whisper about something...” Mina made hand gesture. Without hesitating, Joongki bent forward. His head was beside Mina's now. 

“Is she Dr. Moon?” Mina smiled sheepishly. 

“Oh?” Joongki was a bit surprised. “How do you know?” 

Mina giggled. “I saw Dr. Song always looking at Dr. Moon.”

Joongki smiled and patted her head. “Let’s keep it as secret between us okay?”

Mina grinned and nodded.

***

“Dr Moon, let’s have lunch together!” Joongki excitedly uttered, with a wide smile on his face.

“No.” Poker face mode was on.

“Why?” Joongki blinked, there was a slight disappointment in his voice. 

“Just no. I’m going to have lunch with Hyemi,” Chaewon casually said, flipping the pages of patient’s record she was checking. 

Hyemi raised a brow. “Sorry Chaewon-ah, I have work to do. Just go with Joongki-ssi,” she said, all smiling. Chaewon looked weirdly at her. Why is this girl all smiling? This is unusual. 

“Shall we go now?” Joongki asked, blinking while trying to look cute. Chaewon rolled her eyes.

“I said no, right? Don’t you understand?” she said sharply, trying her best ignoring Joongki’s presence.

“Fine if you don’t want,” Joongki uttered disappointedly. He turned around and dragged his feet toward hospital’s cafe. A soft sigh escaped from his mouth as he was walking. Little did he know, Chaewon heard his sigh. 

Was I too harsh? Chaewon bit her bottom lip. Guilt was all over her. She let out a sigh. Why I even being like this out of sudden? There’s no way because of that, right? I am a real crazy if it’s because of that.

 

“Of course.” Joongki smiled sweetly. “She's really pretty. Like a goddess.” Mina pouted cutely. 

“Who is she? Is she prettier than me?” Joongki chuckled and pretended that he was thinking. 

“No, you're prettier.” He gently pinched her nose and smiled. 

 

Chaewon overheard the conversation between Mina and Joongki. Okay, I’m a real crazy here because getting jealous over a 6 years old kid.