08

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

 

Chaewon pushed Joongki away, stopping him and herself before the kiss got intense. She also longed for the kiss but to her, it didn’t feel right.

“Why?” Joongki asked in confusion. His eyes was staring at hers, asking for the answer.

“You belong to someone else,” Chaewon uttered with hurtful heart. “You gonna get married soon. The kiss, it doesn’t feel right. At least, to me. I’m sorry, Joongki-ssi.” Her eyes were hurt, her heart was more hurt but there was nothing she could do. She gave him an upset smile. “You should go home. I’m going in.” 

“But Chaewon-ssi-”

Chaewon smiled. “I’m tired. Please go home, Joongki-ssi...” She turned around and headed into her house. Joongki just stayed there, watching her. A deep sigh escaped from him. He let out another sigh before getting into his car and drove away.

***

Two middle age women were sitting facing each other in a classic-decor restaurant. There was a young woman sitting beside one of the middle age women. They talked, smiled and laughed as they were waiting for someone to arrive. The person they were waiting for was a bit later than they expected.

“I’m sorry on behalf of my son. He said had work to do. That’s why he’s a bit late.” Mrs Song gave the mother and daughter an apologetic smile. The mother replied her smile. The daughter did the same.

“It’s alright. We’re fully understand. He’s a doctor anyway,” the mother spoke, giving Mrs Song a reassuring smile which had comforted her a bit.

After waiting for another five minutes, he finally arrived. Joongki instantly apologized for his lateness. They had their dinner while discussing about the upcoming wedding. Joongki and his wife-to-be were staying beside silently, listening to the elders’ discussion. 

“Can I say something?” Joongki out of sudden interrupted the discussion. Three pairs of eyes were shifted on him, looking at him curiously. Joongki’s expression was calm and serious.

“Sure, what is it my dear?” Mrs Song said. 

“I want to call off the wedding. Honestly, I’m not interested at all in this marriage,” Joongki stated seriously. 

“Joongki! What are you talking about?!” Mrs Song angrily asked. She kept her voice low. 

“I’m sorry, omma. I can’t do this,” Joongki said. He stood up and turned to the mother and daughter. “I’m sorry to both of you. Shiwon-ssi, please find someone who loves you. It will bring you happiness.” Joongki sincerely smiled to the a-bit-stunned daughter. “I’m done with dinner, so, I’m leaving, now.” With that, Joongki walked away, leaving his mother and the other two in a slight daze. Mrs Song gritted her teeth in anger. She turned to the two.

“I’m sorry unnie-ah....” Mrs Song apologized. She felt guilty and ashamed of his son’s doing. “He agreed before but now I don’t know what has happened...”

The older gave Mrs Song a smile. She patted Mrs Song’s hand. “It’s alright. Our children are not meant for each other I guess.” 

***

It was hospital hallway. Joongki stepped in front of her, halting Chaewon from walking. “We need to talk,” he said with serious expression. 

“Move. I have nothing to talk.” Chaewon’s expression was calm. 

“But I do.” Joongki looked into her eyes but Chaewon avoided his gaze.

She bit her bottom lip and exhaled. “Say it.”

“Not here.” Joongki grabbed her arm and dragged her to the stairs. “Look,” he started. “I’ve called off the wedding.”

Chaewon’s eyes slightly widened. She looked at him in surprise. “You...what?”

“I’m not gonna married anyone,” Joongki told. “Except you, of course.” He grinned awkwardly at the sudden confession.

“Why you did that? You’ll make your mother angry and disappointed.” 

“She’s already gone mad but it’s alright. She gonna cool down in a few days.” Joongki chuckled. He looked at her with serious expression. “It’s because I like you so much. I just want you. I thought you don’t like me, that was why I accepted the arranged marriage. Now that I know you like me, why would I let you go?”

Chaewon was speechless. But inside, her heart fluttered so much. She didn’t know what should she feel; whether she should be happy or instead. Joongki took her hands in his. He smiled brightly. 

“Let’s start dating, huh?” 

Chaewon was stunned for a moment. She knew what should she feel now. Her lips curved a sweet smile. “Sure.”

Ring!

“Ey, what a wrong timing,” Joongki whined, annoyed. Chaewon chuckled and hit him lightly.

Joongki grinned. Unwilling, he picked up the call. “Yes....why?.....” His eyes went wide in a second, shocked. “Haeyeon what?! I’m coming.” He instantly hung up the call. “See you later.” Joongki gave a quick smile before rushing out. 

***

“In Hae ah, how do you feel today?” Chaewon asked. She was looking at In Hae’s record. In Hae was gonna say something when Chaewon stopped her. “Don’t lie to me okay?”

In Hae sighed in defeat. “Not sure but today I'm feeling more tired than yesterday,” she told in whining tone.

“Okay....” Chaewon wrote something in the report before shifting her gaze to In Hae. “Ah, your oppa doesn’t come today?” 

“Oppa said he’ll be late today. I don’t know what time he’ll be here,” In Hae told, looking at Chaewon while biting her bottom lip out of habit. “Why Dr Moon?”

Chaewon gave In Hae a sweet smile. “Nothing much. Tell him to meet me when he’s here okay?” In Hae nodded innocently, grinning. Chaewon ruffled In Hae’s hair affectionately.

“Good girl.” 

***

“If you keep looking down, you’ll hit the wall.” 

Chaewon was startled by the voice that she stopped her pace. She looked up and found that Joongki was smiling brightly at her. Chaewon responded to his smile. 

“What wall? It’s just you.” 

Joongki blinked cutely. “Let’s have lunch together?” he asked.

“Sure, let’s go.”


“Chaewon-ssi....”

“Yes?” Chaewon looked up, wondering why Joongki called her. 

“Are you not gonna eat? Your food is getting cold,” Joongki said. His eyes were showing that he was worried. His gaze shifted to her untouched food and shifted back to her. “The food is crying because you don’t eat them.”

Chaewon just looked at him expressionless. Her eyes were staring straight into his eyes. Blank.

“Why you didn’t laugh? It’s funny though,” Joongki said, tilting his head in confusion. 

“Tch. Dr Shin’s joke is funnier,” Chaewon commented and started to eat her lunch. Everyone in the Pediatric Department knew that Dr Shin’s joke was the worst.

“Yah! Did you just diss me?” Joongki’s eyes went wide in anger. He was glaring at Chaewon furiously. Of course he was just playing around.

“Technically, yes.” Chaewon nodded and gave him a quick smile before continue finishing her lunch. 

“Aish...I thought this silly fight would stop, apparently not.” Joongki sighed in defeat. He also continued eating his lunch in disappointment.

Chaewon looked up and beamed brightly. “Bear with me, my dear boyfriend.” She playfully winked which making Joongki became more frustrated