11

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

“Nurse Im, give me Woohyun’s chart please,” Chaewon said to Nurse Im who was at receptionist desk. 

“Here, Dr Moon,” Nurse Im quickly passed the chart to Chaewon as she gave her a smile. Chaewon took the chart and looked weirdly at Nurse Im. Nurse Im chuckled as she signalled Chaewon to see her left. Curious, Chaewon turned her head to her left; Joongki was grinning widely at her.

“Hi sweetheart,” he greeted her, raising his right hand at shoulder level like pledging. 

“Hi there Mister,” Chaewon replied him with a quick smile and hi-five him. “Now, go away, I need to concentrate.” She shooed him as she turned her eyes to Woohyun’s chart and started examining it.

“Tch, meanie. Bye sweetheart, see you later.”

“Um, Dr Moon...” Nurse Im called. Chaewon shifted her gaze from the chart to Nurse Im, raising a brow.

“Yes?”

“Can I ask something?” 

“Sure, what is it?”

“Um...” Nurse Im seemed hesitating to question her. “By any chance, you and Dr Song are dating?”

“Hmm.” Chaewon obliviously nodded. She handed the chart back to Nurse Im. “Seems like Woohyun’s doing fine. Tell his guardian that he can be discharged tomorrow.”

Taking the chart, Nurse Im nodded and smiled warmly. As soon as Chaewon disappeared from her sight, she immediately called her spazzing group over.

“I have a really great news!” Nurse Im said excitedly. 

“What is it Nurse Im? Can you tell us faster? I need to look after a patient!” Nurse Kim urged her.

“Be patient, Nurse Kim. Our pediatrician couple....” Everyone looked at Nurse Im intensely.

“...they are official!” Nurse Im exclaimed happily. Everyone there gasped in surprise. A loud “whoa” filled the air, causing the other nurses to tell them to slow down. 

“Like finally!”

“I know, right? Dr Song took too long to make a move on Dr Moon.”

“I guess we’re expecting a baby soon?”

“Nurse Oh, they just started dating, not married. But well, who knows?”

Everyone softly giggled hearing Nurse Im’s statement. “Is there something that I don’t know?” Hyemi butted in, blinking her eyes innocently.

 

“You bad girl! Bad girl!” Hyemi yelled, her hands were continuously hitting on Chaewon. 

“It’s hurt! It’s hurt! Yah Jang Hyemi!!” Chaewon shouted loudly, catching her friend’s hands from hitting her. “What’s wrong with you?”

“Bad girl.” Hyemi crossed her arms, pouting sourly. “You’re dating yet you don’t have initiative to tell me.”

“Ah....” Chaewon scratched her head, grinning awkwardly at Hyemi. “Sorry, I was going to tell you but I forgot...” She gave her an apologetic smile. “But....how do you know? I didn’t tell anyone yet though,” she said truthfully. 

“I knew from the nurses.”

“Nurses?” Chaewon raised a brow. 

 

“Can I ask something?” 

“Sure, what is it?”

“Um...” Nurse Im seemed hesitating to question her. “By any chance, you and Dr Song are dating?”

“Hmm.” Chaewon obliviously nodded.

 

Finally she remembered. “Ah....Nurse Im asked earlier. Sorry Hyemi-ah. But I’ll make sure you’ll be the first person I tell when I’m gonna get married later,” Chaewon said, giving a wide smile.

Hyemi’s eyes widened in excitement. “You gonna get married with Joongki-ssi?”

“If he proposes to me....yes?” Chaewon looked at her best friend weirdly. “Why? You’re not gonna marry your boyfriend?”

“Not like that. What I mean is, you just started dating and you already think about marriage?”

“Hmm,” Chaewon nodded. “It isn’t bad though marrying him.”

“I know that. Joongki-ssi isn’t that bad too but-”

Chaewon smiled. “I get what you’re trying to say, Hyemi-ah. Don’t worry too much. Our relationship are deeper than what you think,” she stated. “I’m going. See you around.”


“Hi In Hae,” Chaewon greeted with a smile. 

“Hello Chaewon unnie~” In Hae sang, waving her hands happily. 

“It has been a while since you called me unnie.” Chaewon smiled. “You seems a bit hyperactive today.”

In Hae grinned. “Of course! Today is my birthday.”

Realization hit Chaewon. “Ah that’s right. Happy 13th birthday Kim In Hae,” Chaewon said, giving a warm hug to In Hae. “Sorry that I forgot your birthday.”

“Thank you unnie. It’s alright. Myungsoo oppa said he gonna come early and give me surprise but he didn’t show up yet.....I guess he gonna be late again today,” In Hae said, pouting sourly. 

Chaewon’s smile faded instantly. She bit her bottom lip, hesitating whether to tell her or not. Sooner or later, In Hae would know. “In Hae-ah, you have to follow me for a while.”


“Why are we here, Chaewon unnie?” In Hae asked, looking curiously at Chaewon. Her eyes caught a board attached on a room’s door in front of her. “Kim Myungsoo? By any chance....” Her gaze changed from the front to Chaewon. 

Chaewon heaved a sigh and nodded. She opened the door slowly and revealed Myungsoo who was lying still on the bed. His head was bandaged and his left leg was cemented. He was still unconscious. In Hae burst into a flood of tears and sobs as soon as she saw Myungsoo. 

“Oppa! What happened to you, oppa?” she asked with trembling voice. She took his hand into hers, holding it tightly. She turned to face Chaewon, asking for answer. Chaewon exhaled heavily. She simply told In Hae that Myungsoo involved in an accident. In Hae cried even more.


Joongki worriedly stared at Chaewon who was sitting opposite him. Chaewon had been spacing out ever since they started eating lunch. Her food was untouched. 

“Chaewon-ssi,” he called her twice but, there was no response from her. 

“Chaewon-ssi.” Unfortunately she didn’t respond and remained static. Joongki cupped her face with his both hands, finally waking up Chaewon from her deep thought. 

With hands were still cupping her face, Joongki asked, “Are you okay?” 

Chaewon smiled weakly and nodded, her hands went up to his hands which still cupping her face. “Thank you for your warm hands.”

Joongki smiled, pulling away his hands from her face. “Is the Kim siblings bothering your mind?”

“Hmm.” 

“Is it about their medical expenses?” 

“Hmm...I’ve been thinking even if I were to take out my savings, it isn’t enough for both of them.” 

“Don’t worry. There’s someone who made payment for them already,” Joongki said, giving a reassuring smile. 

Chaewon’s eyes widened in surprise. “Who?”

“The one who hit Myungsoo. He came searching for Myungsoo but met me instead. He said he would compensate everything. He also said it was his fault for hitting Myungsoo. I don’t know how he figured out about In Hae. But now, I think it’s alright for you to loosen up a bit.” Joongki squeezed her hands slightly. 

“Really?” Chaewon smiled happily. Joongki chuckled and nodded. 

“I miss your bright smile so much,” he said, earning a light hit from Chaewon and also a blush Moon Chaewon. 

Ring!

“Another wrong timing.” Joongki groaned. “Hello, Song Joongki speaking.....yes.....Yang Haeyeon? Yes....alright. I’ll be right there.” He hung up the call. 

“Sorry. I gotta go. See you later.” Joongki smiled, giving a wink before rushing away. 

“Yang Haeyeon? Isn’t that....” Chaewon tapped her chin, trying to remember back about something.

 

“Tell me,” Joongki said.

“Abdominal pain. There’s a slight swelling on the right side of lower abdomen,” Dr Shin explained. 

“Appendicitis?”

“No, because she already had appendicitis surgery months ago.”

“Name. Age.”

“Yang Haeyeon. 11 years old.”

Joongki’s eyes slightly widened. He finally took a glance of the kid’s face. Chaewon looked at Joongki with curious expression. He knew this kid? 

 

“That’s it! Hmm maybe the girl is just her relative or something.” Chaewon shrugged it off, finishing her lunch.