15

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

Joongki came back to the playground with two cups of hot chocolate in his hands. He went to the swing to find his blazer was hung on the swing; Chaewon was nowhere in his sight. He tried to call her but once again to no avail. Seconds later, he heard his phone was vibrating. He put the cups aside and picked up the call.

“Hey...” he spoke.

“Joongki-ah, Haeyeon wants you to be here tonight. She’s having fever,” a female voice replied.

Joongki sighed as he looked around once again to search for Chaewon. “Alright. Tell her I’m coming. Thanks Minji.”


Shutting her bedroom’s door, Chaewon sat down on the floor leaning her back against the door. She heaved a heavy long sigh as she hugged her knees tightly.

“..appa...Haeyeonie is very sick. Can appa come here tonight?” 

Chaewon felt like she was struck by lightning, shocked.

“Appa....”

“Omma, why appa not talking?” 

“Hello Joongki-ah.”

Nothing was right ever since the beginning of their friendship. Not to mention after he confessed to her. Is this the ending of our relationship? She thought.

Several knocks were made on her house’s door while she was changing her dress to a pair of pyjamas. Slowly she made her way to the door as she was wondering who would come at the time. She quickly opened to door after looking the person through the window. 

“Minji!” Chaewon gave a warm hug to her friend. Minji gladly received it with a wide smile. “Come in.”

“What are you doing here at this late?” Chaewon asked after settling herself on the sofa. She handed Minji a cup of hot tea. 

“I want to spend a night here. Kind of miss staying in this house, can’t I?” Minji grinned.

Chaewon chuckled. “Of course you can. It’s been a while since you came here. Wait, how about your husband?”

“My husband is out of town. He’ll be back the day after tomorrow.”

Chaewon nodded in understand. “Haeyeon?” she asked, raising her brows in curiosity. Minji's daughter was spoiled so much that she would cry whenever she was left alone.

“She’s at hospital with my ex-husband. Infection,” Minji let out a sigh. She somehow felt bothered by the feeling she was having. Chaewon pulled Minji into an embrace. Slowly she patted her back to comfort. “She just had a surgery and I’m glad she’s doing fine.”

“Poor child. I still remember when we were in first year of medic. You dropped out from medic school out of sudden that leaving me in full curiosity and terror of losing you. It turned out you took a short break to take care of your sick daughter. She often fell sick since then, right?”

Minji nodded. “Her immune system wasn’t very good to begin with. I’m glad she keeps improving day by day,” she stated, shedding tears on her cheeks. Chaewon gave a warm smile to Minji, softly patting her back. 

“You’re a really great mother. I don’t think I can raise a child at such young age.”

Minji laughed. “Without my ex-husband’s help, I don’t think I can do it either.”

“Your ex-husband is a good person honestly. Why you didn’t re-marry him?” Chaewon asked out of curiosity.

Minji smiled sweetly. “Let’s just say our fate didn’t last long. People’s fate is different from each other. There’s fate like my ex-husband and I; short but meaningful and there’s fate that lasts till death apart.”


“Hey my sweetheart,” Joongki greeted his daughter with a smile. Haeyeon just woke up from sleep. Joongki gave her a peck on her forehead. “How’re you feeling?” he asked, caressing her soft hair.

Haeyeon smiled innocently. “I’m good appa. Where’s omma?”

“Omma went home. She will come tomorrow.”

Haeyeon nodded, understand. “Appa, when I called you last night, why you didn’t talk?”

Joongki raised his brows, a little surprised at his daughter’s question. He was sure he talked last night unless someone else picked up the call. It was no other than Moon Chaewon.


“Do you remember when we first time met each other?” Minji started.

“Of course! It was the best first meeting ever happened,” Chaewon commented with a hysterical laugh. She was literally laughing while clapping like a seal. 

“Yeah, the moment I entered the room, you threw a punch on my pretty face, thinking I was a robber since I loved black so much back then.”

“And your favorite color grew in me. We were literally a black lover during the year. The worst was when I had to get over the color. It was so hard.”

“Like really hard. I took almost 2-3 years to get rid my addict toward the color. I found out that it was not healthy for my daughter also.”

Chaewon laughed so much that tears came out.

“Chaewon-ah,” Minji called, looking straight into Chaewon’s eyes. “You’re not okay. Tell me.”

Chaewon’s laughter died in instant. She let out a sigh. No matter how hard she tried to hide, it was impossible with Minji. Minji could read people so well, especially her. 

“Your ability to read people always amuses me you know,” Chaewon said.

Minji chuckled. “It’s you. You’re so easy to read for your information.”


“So, what do you think? I was so depressed thinking about this. I was about to go crazy just before you came,” Chaewon stated after telling Minji from A to Z of her complicated love story.

“Wow, you two just started dating and this happened. Interesting!”

“Minji-ah!” Chaewon whined cutely.

“Since it was only the beginning of your relationship, I think it’s better for you to find someone else.”

Chaewon heaved a sigh. “Our relationship is deeper than you think, Minji. It’s like, even before he confessed to me, he was always there when I need him.”

Minji’s lips curved a wide smile “That’s the answer to your question. But it’s all up to you. If I were you, I would find someone else for my own good.”

Chaewon anxiously bit her bottom lip. “Should I?”