10

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

Please read author's note at the bottom after reading the chapter. Thank you^^


“Here.” A hand holding a cup of hot chocolate was held out in front of Joongki. He looked up from his phone to the owner of the hand. Chaewon showed a bright smile. Joongki frowned at her, asking what was that for.

“A gift,” Chaewon casually said as she took a seat beside him. “Don’t want?”

“Of course I want.” Joongki instantly snatched the drink and sipped it slowly. “Why do you come? Isn’t today your off day?”

“I went to check on In Hae...” Chaewon told. She heaved a sigh.

“You can just tell me to check on her.”

Chaewon smiled. “It’s alright. Ah, what time will your shift done?” she asked. Her eyes were sparkling brightly. Joongki took a glance of his watch. 

“30 minutes more. Why?” Joongki raised a brow in curiosity. Chaewon beamed brightly as she linked his arm with hers.

“Let’s go on a breakfast date later.”


“Look what we got here in the menu...hmm.” Chaewon’s eyes were busy reading the breakfast menu. “Waffle, tuna sandwiches and French toasts sound good. What do you want for breakfast?” 

She looked up at Joongki. Joongki was staring lovingly at her, resting his chin on his hand. His lips were smiling widely from ear to ear. He did nothing else but gazing straightly into her eyes. Chaewon was a bit uneasy by his affectionate stare. 

“Why are you staring at me like that?” She started to touch her face. “Is there something on face my face?” she asked. She then dug into her bag to search for something.

Joongki smiled got wider. He shook his head and blinked cutely. Her quite uneasy face turned into a frown. “Then, why?”

Joongki just kept smiling and staring at her. “Because you’re really pretty,” he said along with an affectionate wink. 

All those made Chaewon’s heart skipped a beat. Her fair-skin face started to flush with red shade out of embarrassment to his compliments. She shyly smiled afterward. 

A waiter came to take their order. “May I take your order?”

“I want a cup of Moon Chaewon’s love,” Joongki playfully told. 

“Joongki-ssi!”


They were walking hand in hand, heading to non specific place. A sudden cool breeze hit them making Chaewon flinched a bit. Joongki burst into laughter looking at her. 

“It’s not something funny though,” Chaewon said, rolling her eyes, annoyed.

Joongki giggled as he took off his coat, putting it over Chaewon’s shoulders. Wrapping his arm around her waist, he pulled Chaewon closer. “Why did you wear such a thin clothes when you know winter is coming soon?” he stated, giving a sweet smile. “Feel better?” 

Chaewon shyly smiled and nodded. “Thank you. How about you then?”

“I’m alright. I wear clothes thick enough.”

“You look tired and sleepy. You should go home and rest Joongki-ssi,” Chaewon spoke. Joongki cutely shook his head.

“Cannot. I have yet satisfied with our date,” Joongki grinned cheekily. Chaewon rolled her eyes at him. She chuckled. Their date ended when a loud band filled the air. Both Chaewon and Joongki turned their head to the direction of the loud bang. There was an accident happened. People started to crowd around the place. Without having second thought, Joongki and Chaewon quickly walked over to see. A young man had been hit by a car. He flew two meters away from the car. Chaewon’s eyes widened in surprise when she saw the young man. 

“Kim Myungsoo!” She shouted the young man’s name in terrified, instantly ran over to him. 

 

Chaewon was sitting on the prepared chair outside the surgery room. She kept playing with her fingers nervously, feeling uneasy. She didn’t even realize that Joongki was approaching her, carrying a brown bag. Chaewon was so nervous and in a deep thought that she flinched when Joongki lightly tapped her shoulder. 

“It’s just me,” Joongki said, taking her shaking hands in his, squeezing them tightly. He was trying to comfort her. “How’s he?”

“Not that good. His ribs are fractured. His left leg is broken,” Chaewon told. “He goes into surgery to take out blood clot in his head.” Joongki heaved a sigh. He gave her the brown bag he carried before. 

“Go and change your clothes.”

“Uh?” Chaewon raised her brows, instantly took a look of her own clothes. There were a few splash of red blood on her clothes. She gave Joongki a weak smile as she realized that she was oblivious to the stain of blood on her clothes. 

“Where did you get these clothes?” Chaewon asked after changing her clothes. She was wearing a dark blue sweater with a white t-shirt beneath it. A black jean completed her outfit.

“I bought it for my sister but it’s alright. You need it right now. I can just buy a new set for her,” Joongki said, giving her a comfort smile.

“Aw what a sweet oppa. Sorry that you have to buy another set for her...” Chaewon gave an apologetic smile. She went to sit beside him. 

“Think it as a gift from me.” Joongki took her hand and linked it with his. “You’re not that nervous anymore...Don’t worry, he’ll be fine.”

Chaewon exhaled heavily. “I’m really worried about them. Kim In Hae doesn’t have anyone else except her oppa, Myungsoo.” 

Joongki squeezed her hand lightly, trying to comfort her. “I can see that they’re not just a patient to you, Chaewon-ssi.”

Chaewon chuckled sorrowfully and nodded. “I met them five years ago. Four years before In Hae admitted into hospital. Myungsoo used to be a bright kid. Ever since they lost their parents three years ago, he didn’t talk much anymore. He became a quite passive boy. Meanwhile, In Hae day by day became an energetic kid because she knew her oppa’s hardship in raising her and paying her medical expenses. She’s such a mature kid.” 

She wiped off the tears on her cheeks. Joongki pulled her into a warm hug, patting her back softly like he would do every time Chaewon cried.

“It’s gonna be fine,” he whispered into her ear softly, continuing to pat her back. The doctor finally came out from the surgery room. He said the surgery was a success. Chaewon felt a huge wave of relief. She instantly hugged Joongki tightly. Gladly, he returned her hug.


Thank you for reading. OK. Actually I had a thought of inserting more medical stories but due to the lack of medical knowledge, I decided not to. Anyway, thank you for everything! If you have any criticism, please leave in the comment. Thank you and have a nice day^^