18

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

Moon Shiwon stood in front of Korea Hospital main entrance, carrying a medium-size bag with her right hand, having a bright smile on her face.

“Unnie, I’m here,” she said to herself as she made her way to hospital reception desk, heels clicking at every step of hers.

“Excuse me. May I know which department does Moon Chaewon belong to?” Shiwon asked, leaning her body against the desk.

“Pediatrician Department. It’s on floor 3. Do you want me to inform her?” the receptionist asked.

“No. I’ll just find her by myself. Thank you.” Shiwon gave the receptionist a smile before heading up to Pediatrician Department.

~

“We’ll just open up stomach area where the tangled intestine is located. Since the tangle isn’t that bad yet, it should be a simple surgery. However, please do your best,” Hyemi firmly stated as she ended her speech.

“Any question?”

She was standing tall in front of a group of people consisting of 6 in a meeting room. They were having a small discussion regarding the coming surgery. Everyone looked at each other and focussed back to the front as they didn’t have any question to ask.

“Whoa, you were so cool, Jung Hyemi,” Chaewon cheered, along with claps, after everyone else had left.

“Well, that’s nothing,” Hyemi said with a shrug, she went to sit beside Chaewon. “Chaewon-ah, are you okay?” she asked with a concern of her face, eyes staring at her colleague.

“I heard the rumor. It’s not true, right?” Her expression changed gloomily as Chaewon let out a frustrated sigh. There was nothing she could do to stop the rumor, wasn’t it?

“It was true. Joongki is married, and he has a daughter too. I decided to break up with him. Hyemi-ah, tell me I did the right thing.” Hyemi seemed to be in confusion for a while before she stared at Chaewon with more interest.

“He said he was divorced. He seems to be a good man. Why would he go after you if he’s already married in the first place?”

“I don’t know....” Chaewon said, leaning her back against the armchair. It took her precisely two seconds to have her eyes widened and body straightened, astounded.

“What?! He’s divorced?”

~

“Give me patient Yang Haeyeon’s chart,” Joongki ordered Nurse Kim, who was sitting down leisurely the reception desk, leaning his body against the desk, with a half serious face. Due to the sudden order, Nurse Kim frantically searched for the chart, handing it to Joongki in no time. Joongki snickered at how flustered Nurse Kim was, starting flipping the pages to check on her patient, after that, he handed it back.

“By the way, what time Minho’s surgery will start?” he asked, blinking his eyes in curiosity.

~

“Yeah, he said that himself. Wait, you broke up with him? Why??”

“Because I thought he IS married and cheated on his wife. Isn’t that an obvious reason to break up?”

“Make sense. But he’s divorced. Go girl! Get him back!”

“Ah, I’m going crazy. What kind misunderstand is this?” Chaewon chewed her lips nervously as a lot things were running vigorously in her head and it wasn’t a good thing.

“Dr Moon, are you alright?” Nurse Im asked, she was in the middle of preparing for Minho’s surgery. The surgery would begin in any minute. Chaewon closed her eyes, took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. Opening her eyes, she flashed a smile to the nurse.

“I’m alright. Don’t worry,” she stated truthfully. They began the surgery as soon as Hyemi came in. She was the main surgeon, while Chaewon was the 1st assist with another doctor as 2nd assist.

“It’s a relief the tangle doesn’t seem that bad,” Hyemi said, informing everyone in the operation room. “It’ll be done after—”

A sudden blood splash stopped Hyemi instantly as she frantically asked for gauze and suction. In the midst of the panic situation, Hyemi noticed that a pair of hands, which was supposed to help her, was missing. She looked up to see Chaewon was standing stoic with her eyes looking at the splash blood in terror. Her eyes went down to Chaewon's hands; they were trembling, with a scissors almost escape from her grip.

"Dr Moon!" Hyemi called her. But, there was no response. "Dr Moon!" She called her louder. "Moon Chaewon! Pull yourself together!"

~

Her clacking heels echoed throughout the hall as Shiwon strolled toward the reception desk of the department. She surveyed the place with her slender eyes, analyzing every detail of the colorful wall. Since it was Pediatric Department, the place was a bit more colorful compared to others. As she stood by the reception desk, she looked over at the person in charge and flashed a smile.

“Is this Pediatric Department?” she asked, displaying her best smile.

“That’s right,” Nurse Kim responded with a smile. “May I know who are you looking for?”

“Moon Chaewon. I believe she’s one of the pediatricians.”

“Ah, Dr Moon. She’s currently in operating room. But, it’ll be over soon,” Nurse Kim explained, never stopped displaying a sweet smile. Shiwon nodded in understand, and flashed another sweet smile.

“If that’s the case, I’ll be waiting.”

~

"Get out!"

The moment they heard the loud yell, Chaewon was dragged out from the room despite her struggling. As soon as they were outside, she was pressed again the wall, the scissors was snatched from her grip.

"Wait here. I'll be back."

"Joongki-ssi," she called out in trembling voice, the man who was about to enter the operation room, fingers tugging a bit of his surgery outfit. Joongki turned his back and reached out his hand to hers, gently squeezing it, giving her a reassurance.

"I'll be fast, alright?" Joongki said before disappearing from her sight a second later.

"I'll replace her," that was the only thing he said to the fellow staffs in the room. The surgery ended sooner than they thought. Joongki walked out from the room to find Chaewon was nowhere to be found near the area.

~

Uneasiness started to creep up in Shiwon as she kept taking a glance of her wristwatch: 5 minutes to 9.30pm. She promised her mother that she would be home by 10, but she hadn’t met her older sister yet which making her feel a little bad. She glanced inside the bag beside her: a simple dinner for her dear sister. It was her first time coming to the hospital, but it seemed like she couldn’t meet her today. Shiwon heaved a disappointed sigh.

“Maybe next time,” she told to herself as she passed up the bag she brought to Nurse Kim, so that the dinner could reach Chaewon. When she was about to turn her back, she saw a familiar figure, who was walking a bit frantically as if he was searching for someone.

“Isn’t that....Joongki-ssi?” she questioned, squinting her eyes to get a better view. “I’m right. It’s Joongki-ssi. He works here?” Unknowingly, her feet started to walk ahead, following Joongki’s step.

~

Chaewon pushed the emergency exit door harshly. Her whole body was trembling badly. Her tears were streaming down like a waterfall. She sat by the stairs, hugging her knees tightly, burying her face into it. Even after several minutes, her condition remained unchanged. Unknowingly, she started to chant a name.

"Joongki-ssi..."

"Joongki-ssi..."

"...I need you."

At the moment, though her mind was chaotic, though her body was trembling, though her head wasn't quite straight, though her hands were shaking with no sign of stopping, she started to realize one thing. The one thing was, as long as she couldn’t overcome this terrible fear, she couldn't live without Song Joongki.

Chaewon felt her shaking body was pulled up and hugged by a warm body. At the moment, she didn’t have to look up to know who was the person, who was having her in his arms, delivering such warmth through the body contact. Automatically, her arms wrapped around his body, tightened her grip as if her life depended on it, that was when, she sobbed even harder. Joongki pulled away slowly, taking a proper look of Chaewon. Her tears hadn’t stopped streaming down her cheeks, her eyes were still in terror, her hands hadn’t stopped from shaking, and her body hadn’t stopped trembling.

One solution ran through his mind; he leaned forward and kissed her on the lips.

 

Little did they know, Shiwon witnessed the scene, her fists tightened at the sight, she felt a lump of anger in .

“Song Joongki is mine. No matter what it takes, I’m gonna make him mine.”


You guys gave me such great comments!!! Thank you so much! So how's today's chapter? Excuse grammar, spelling error and such. Btw, I'm at replying comments, but I'll try my best okay?!! Thank you!!!