16

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

Chaewon pushed the emergency exit door harshly. Her whole body was trembling badly. Her tears were streaming down like a waterfall. She sat by the stairs, hugging her knees tightly, burying her face into it. Even after several minutes, her condition remained unchanged. Unknowingly, she started to chant a name.

"Joongki-ssi..."

"Joongki-ssi..."

"...I need you."

 

15 hours earlier.

Joongki held the doorknob to the rooftop and twisted it. He paused, after that he took a deep breath. Finally, he twisted it open and stepped out to the rooftop, finding Chaewon was standing back facing him. He took a few steps ahead until he was close enough to her. Earlier, Chaewon had texted him saying she wanted to meet him at the rooftop. He decided to explain everything to her. The truth about his daughter and all. Joongki held out his hand, trying to reach her shoulder but he pulled it in back.

"Chaewon-ssi," he called, notifying her about his presence. Chaewon remained stoic, it seem like she had a lot in her mind.  Slowly she turned her back. 

"I-I..." Joongki started. He exhaled, trying to keep things in his mind straight. "I have something to tell. I should have told you long ago but I couldn't bring myself to do that. I understand if you're mad at me but-"

"Joongki-ssi," Chaewon cut him off, staring straight into his eyes before looking away. "I'm not mad at you but, I don't think us gonna work."

The statement from Chaewon blew Joongki away. He was speechless hearing the last part. He doesn't want a break up yet. Not when he hadn't explained the whole thing to her. But, his tongue was tied. Words didn't come out no matter how hard he tried to say it. Without waiting any response from Joongki, Chaewon walked off, leaving him alone at the rooftop. As she was walking down the stairs, she stopped and leaned against the wall. Her legs were trembling so much that she felt like falling down. She doesn't know that breaking up could be this hurt. But she had no choice. It was for her own sake.

 

"It's really no joke when my boyfriend proposed to me yesterday.  I thought he was just kidding because he was always fooling around. It turned out that he actually did it for real. I'm touched." 

Hyemi ended her story with a happy laugh. She looked at Chaewon who was sitting opposite her. Chaewon was spacing out. In Hyemi's eyes, she didn't look that good.

"Chaewon-ah, what happened? You didn't even touch your lunch yet," she pointed out worriedly looking at her colleague's face. She had noticed Chaewon's gloomy face ever since she asked her to eat lunch with her. Chaewon flashed a gentle smile, trying to reassure Hyemi that she was okay.

"Just something in my mind. It's nothing though." Chaewon gave another small smile as she changed her focus on her food.

"Really? Hm, I'm just worried," Hyemi sighed in defeat. When Chaewon already made up her mind, there was nothing could change her. "Ah, Dr Shin called in sick today. Can you replace his place for Minho's surgery later?"

"Sure. Just a minor surgery, isn't it?"

"Yeah. Later I'll inform you the details."

 

“Have you heard about the latest rumor?” Nurse Im started, purposely saying it out loud to garner other staffs. A few staffs started to form a group and gathered around the receptionist desk.

“What rumor?” Nurse Kim asked curiously. She had never missed any of the gossips about anything in the hospital. Nurse Im looked right and left before secretly whispering to them.

“I heard, Dr Song is married and has a daughter.”

Everyone in the group gasped in surprise. They looked at each other before staring intensely at Nurse Im.

“Really? Is that mean....”

“Yes, if it’s true, he cheated on his wife.”

“With Dr Moon? Oh, my god.”

“This is not good. Does Dr Moon know Dr Song is married?”

“I don’t think so. Dr Moon is an angel. She wouldn’t go after a married man.”

“True that. She’s too nice...but is this rumor legit?”

“Legit, except the cheat part. I’ve never once cheated in my life though,” a voice casually butted in. Everyone’s head instantly turned to the owner of the voice. Their jaw dropped in shocked seeing Joongki was beside them at the receptionist desk, checking on a chart. 

“Words can turn into a knife if it is spread wrongly, especially something that isn’t confirm yet. Give a fact instead of a rumor. Don’t say anything when you know nothing,” Joongki said, passing the chart to the frozen Nurse Im. He flashed a smile. “Maybe it means nothing to you but to the other, it means a lot. By the way, I’m divorced.” Joongki flashed another gentle smile before walking away.

 

"Nurse Im, can you check any available operation room in the nearest date? Cha Eun Hee is going to have a minor surgery on her right knee," Chaewon asked as she leaned against the reception desk while flipping a chart.

"There's one on 4th May. It's available for the whole day. You want me to book it?"

Chaewon thought for a while before nodding. "Sure. Nurse Im, can you please tell Nurse Seo to increase the medicine dose for Jinho?"

Nurse Im diverted her eyes from the screen to Chaewon. "Dr Moon."

"Yes?"

"You just told me 15 minutes ago. Probably he already have the medicine. Have you forgotten?"

"Ah...really?" Chaewon herself was a little dumbfounded. She gave Nurse Im a nervous smile. “Seems like I forgot. Well, then.”

“Dr Moon, are you alright? Your facial doesn’t look okay to me.”

“I’m-” Chaewon halted her talking and had some thought before proceeding. “I’m fine. Really.” She flashed a reassuring smile to the nurse. 

“Aunty Chaewon?”

Chaewon turned her head immediately at the call as she felt a tug on her white coat. 

“Oh? Haeyeonie."

“Hello aunty,” the little girl grinned, flashing her white teeth. Haeyeon moved closer to Chaewon and wrapped her hands around her. “When are you going to visit us again? I miss you, aunty. I would like to play with you like we used to.”

Chaewon smiled, returning her warm hug while caressing her head affectionately. “I’m sorry. I just got busy. I will visit you soon okay?” She earned a nod with a smile from Haeyeon before proceeding the talking. "Oh, what are-" Chaewon stopped as she eyed Haeyeon's outfit. "Ah, you were hospitalized here. Where's omma?" She asked, hoping to meet Minji there.

"She went to work. But my appa is here."

Chaewon nodded in understand. "Which appa?"

Haeyeon was about to answer when a voice was calling her. Definitely a man's voice.

"Haeyeon-ah.....Haeyeon-ah?"

Chaewon immediately took a look of the owner of the voice. Her standing pose remained stoic as she continued to stare the man in front of her.


Hello~~ It has been long since I updated right? Sorry! I got busy with school and my exam just ended two weeks ago. So, basically I'm on semester break now! Yahoo! Thanks for everything!