21

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

From: Song Joongki

Let's not see each other from now on. I'm sorry.

Chaewon froze upon seeing the text, having her eyes widened in shock. She lost for words as her body started to tremble, eyes were filled up with tears.

 

Flashback

It was a peaceful night. The night was perfect for couples to talk a walk, inhaling the fresh air. It worked to those who wanted to release stress too. Or, people who wanted to enjoy the night view. Chaewon and Joongki were walking in the same pace hand in hand towards no specific destination as they talked about random things.

"Chaewon-ssi," Joongki called, pulling Chaewon to have a seat at the nearby bench. There was a light beaming toward them. As he looked into her eyes, his lips curved a smile, feeling bless to have such a beautiful girlfriend. "I was wondering. Why do you like me? Apart from my handsome face, being funny, and my kind nature."

Chaewon rolled her eyes before bursting into a small laughter. "I should always remind myself that my boyfriend is full of himself," she said. She flashed a genuine smile. "I don't have any reason. I just like you. Whenever I'm with you, I feel comfortable. When there are just the two of us, it doesn't feel awkward at all. And the most important, I feel protected."

Joongki smiled. "Yet you say there's no reason."

"Joongki-ssi, can you promise me one thing? Don't ever leave me."

"I promise."

End flashback

 

It was selfish of her telling him to not ever leave her but she needed him by her side. But he promised. He promised to stay by her side, to not ever leave her. At this moment, she knew she need to fight for her love. "Shiwon-ah. Joongki is my—" Chaewon didn't manage to complete her sentence.

"Unnie. I'm pregnant." The fight had never started.

 

"Omma, stop talking nonsense. We've discussed before. I'm not going to marry Shiwon-ssi. I don't love her. That fact alone will hurt her in future," Joongki spoke out, totally opposing his mother's idea. It was even more nonsense since his mother knew he loves someone else, not Moon Shiwon.

"Joongki, I'm going to die soon. This is my only wish. Can't you do it for me?" his mother pleaded, eyes glistened with a pool of tears. Joongki heaved an undefined sigh. He took his mother's hands and squeezed them lightly.

"Omma, please. I love Chaewon-ssi. I can grant you any wish but not this one..." Joongki persuaded his mother for the nth times. Mrs Song jerked her hands away from him.At the moment, both of her hands started to tremble. But it went unnoticed by Joongki. "Why do you like that killer so much? She doesn't deserve you!"

Joongki was taken aback by Mrs Song's sudden outburst. It wasn't because of the outburst. It was because of Joongki aware of Mrs Song's heart condition. That much of stress wasn't alright for a heart patient. Especially his mother. As he noticed something, he decided to play along.

"For the nth times, I'm telling you. Chaewon's not a killer. I know you saw the news. Everyone in this country knows that's a self-defense."

"Stop talking about her...." his mother begged, covering her ears with her hands. But Joongki won't stop. He had to confirm something.

"She had dissociative disorders when she was attacked. Technically, she doesn't even remember that night yet she has to suffer PTSD after witnessing the aftermath of the bloody incident. When some people are trying to kill you, will you stay still and get killed? Or you fight for your life? She fought for her life. Won't you do the same if you were in her shoes?"

"Stop it!!" Mrs Song screamed at the top of her lung as tears started to roll down her cheeks heavily. It was confirmed. Joongki had confirmed that his mother faked the heart attack to force him to marry Shiwon.

 

"Chaewon-ah, you okay?" Hyemi looked at her colleague with a slight concern in her eyes. Her eyes shifted from her face to her untouched food. "You haven't even touched your food. Has something happened?"

Chaewon gave Hyemi a weak smile. "I have no appetite. But I have to eat, ain't I?" she said, slowly putting a mouthful of today's lunch into . It did seem like Chaewon had no energy at all. Her face was gloomy ever since their second break up two days ago. She continued digging her food until it was half eaten.

 

"That's the end of today's meeting. Is there any question?" Chief Seo asked. They were having a weekly meeting.

"Where's Dr Song? I don't remember him taking a long leave before?" Dr Shin asked. That was a sincere question.

"That's right. I'm curious too," Hyemi said, glancing over at mindless Chaewon.

"He said it was emergency. Dr Jang and Dr Shin. Take over his patient," Chief Seo ordered, which soon followed by double yes. "Dr Moon. To my office."

"You like tea or coffee?" Chief Seo asked after she told Chaewon to have a seat.

"Anything," Chaewon answered, she started to fiddle her fingers anxiously. Chief Seo won't call someone into her office if there was nothing. "I heard about Minho's surgery. What actually happened?" Chief Seo finally asked after a long battle of silence. Her expression was curious but sincere. "Is it related to your past?"

"I-It's-" Chaewon stopped, contemplating whether she should really tell her superior the truth or otherwise. She heaved a sigh. "I was stressed about something else. It was my fault. I'm sorry." She decided it wasn't the time yet.

"I know you won't tell me. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), isn't it?" Chief Seo asked, her voice sounded really sincere.

"Who told you, Chief?"

"Nobody. It was just my instinct, but seeing how you reacted, seems like it's true." Chief Seo heaved a concern sigh as she looked Chaewon straight in the eyes. "Why didn't you tell me? Since when?"

Chaewon closed her eyes. There was no use in hiding anymore. She opened her eyes. "That night. But it's gotten worst since last year," she said truthfully, lowering her head. She just couldn't face her superior.

"Oh, God. Moon Chaewon. This is about life and death. What if anything goes wrong in the operating theater? I know it doesn't happen yet but sooner or later—" Chief Seo didn't manage to finish her words. She just didn't want to. "Look, Dr Moon. I'm doing this for your own good. You're banned from entering the operating theater from today. I won't tell others. It's not curable but I want you to get a treatment."

Chaewon sighed in disappointment. She knew it was for the better but she still felt disappointed.

"Chief Seo," she said. "Can I take a vacation before starting the treatment? I think I need some time to clear my head."

 

"Omma, why? Why do you hate Chaewon so much? Why would you fake a heart attack to force me into marrying Shiwon? Tell me the reason why you're doing this," Joongki said with a desperate heart. His relationship with Chaewon was opposed since the beginning. Nothing went right. Things had gotten even worse when it was revealed the his arrange marriage was with her younger sister.

"Her father killed your father!"


The ending is nearing! *cries a river* Thank you for reading everyone!!