20

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

"I-I.. " Minji looked at her husband and her gaze shifted to the couple sitting in front of them. "I don't know what to say to be completely honest. You're dating my best friend, Joongki." Her lips curved into a bright smile.

"But, I'm happy for you two! How small this world is." Joongki nodded his head, agreeing with his ex-wife.

"Anyways, is he the jerk you talk about?" Minji asked, making Joongki quite uneasy.

"A~ No way. Someone kind like me?" Joongki stated, smiling as he made a happy-but-uneasy face.

"That's right. He was the jerk," Chaewon said boldly, casually taking a sip of her coffee.

"Hey!" Joongki burst defensively. Minji broke into laughter.

"You still amuse me, Song Joongki. Like the old time."

"Well, only when I'm in love," Joongki grinned, his hand sneakily making its way to Chaewon's, to which Chaewon slapped it. Joongki pulled away his hand and hid it behind his back. The married couple burst into laughter seeing the couple.

"Chaewon-ah, I remember you said you were single?" Joo Won asked.

"Let's just say we're still broke up that time," Chaewon replied. Minji's expression changed into a slight frown as she noticed the two were being a bit too comfortable for a first meeting.

"You know each other? Since you speak so casually?" she asked, looking at her husband and shifted to Chaewon. It was no less than being curious. Joo Won wrapped his one hand around his wife's shoulder.

"Yeah, we were-"

"Friends! Yeah, high school friends!" Chaewon butted in nervously, giving subtle hint to not tell them about their past. Joo Won's smile suddenly got wider and Chaewon knew what was he thinking.

"We were each other first love." She sighed in defeat. Telling Joongki about her first love wasn't in her list. It doesn't cross her mind though it was nothing to be worry about. "But, that was 10 years ago."

"What a surprise," Joongki said.

"Interesting. How did you two meet?" Minji asked, leaning in to know more.

Continuous vibrate sound from Joongki's pocket put their conversation into a halt. Excuse himself, he got up to answer the phone.

"What?" Joongki's voice rose as his face displayed a mix of emotions. The other three had their attention on him, guessing something bad happened. "Alright. I'm coming." Joongki hung up the call.

"What happened, Joongki-ssi?" Chaewon asked instantly, having a worried face.

"My mother. She had a heart attack."
 

Joongki stood nervously in front of a door. His mother's room. He had been told by Mr. Kim, her physician, that she was fine, but Mr. Kim advised him not to put much stress on Mrs Song as her heart wasn't in good condition. Joongki took a deep breath as a wave of indescribable emotions taking over his head. He could feel that his eyes were swelling up with tears. She's the only parent he has and he couldn't afford losing one. He opened the door and stepped inside. There, his mother was lying static on the bed, accompanied by monitor's beep sound. Joongki took a seat near the bed, sliding his own hand into his mother's and squeezed it lightly.

"Joongki-ah," his mother called with voice slightly cracking. She opened her eyes slowly as she was getting used to the dim light.

"Omma, don't talk. Just rest, OK?" Joongki said. His voice was at the verge of cracking as he blinked his eyes rapidly to prevent his tears from falling.

"I'm sorry, my son. I didn't get a chance to tell you..."

"H-How long already since you knew?" Joongki asked.

"Two years."

He wanted to get mad. He wanted to scold his mother. He wanted to burst in anger. He wanted to yell and scream. But, he couldn't do any of those.

"Joongki-ah," Mrs Song called, her eyes glistening under the dim light. "Can you do one thing for me? I have only one wish."

 

 

Chaewon knocked a door multiple times before it was wide opened. She was welcomed with a warm hug from her younger sister.

"What brings you here, unnie?" Shiwon asked brightly, after inviting her sister in.

"Here you go." Chaewon gave her a nicely wrapped gift, having a bright smile on her face. Shiwon exclaimed in excitement as she gave Chaewon a thankful hug. "Thanks for last night's dinner. It's been a while since I last eat a home-cook meal," Chaewon said. Shiwon grinned happily.

"It's nothing, unnie. Next time, I'll cook for you again. Thank you for the gift." Chaewon looked over inside the house, finding someone.

"Where's our mother?" she asked. Shiwon shrugged.

"Omma went out. I don't know what time she'll be back though."

"I see...alright then. Tell her that I came." Chaewon said, her voice sounding disappointed. She was about to turn her back when Shiwon grabbed her arm, stopping the older from leaving.

"Unnie, can you be my bridesmaid for my wedding?" Shiwon asked, her sparkling eyes blinking cutely.

"Of course. If I haven't married yet that time."

"You won't be marrying before this 15th October, aren't you?"

"Yeah, not that soon." Shiwon clapped her hands in excitement.

"Then, all is set! Because I'm marrying the handsome doctor, Song Joongki-ssi." Chaewon's eyes widened in shocked, couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"What?! The arranged marriage cancelled, wasn't it?" Shiwon smiled, nodding rapidly.

"It was. But, we want to proceed nonetheless."

"We?"

"Yeah, we. Joongki-ssi and I."

"But, Joongki-ssi-"

 

A vibrate from a phone indicating a text coming in halted their conversation.

From: Song Joongki

Let's not see each other from now on. I'm sorry.


Hey. It's almost two years since I started writing this story. So, finally it's time for it to meet an end. But! This is not the ending, of course. In 2-3 chapters more. Thank you for willing to wait and keep reading. :)