01

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

 

"Again?" Song Joongki almost shrieked, slamming hard the table in front of him. "Omma! I told you, I don't want to go to another blind date anymore. The last one was the worst!" He burst in anger, greeting his teeth hard.

"Joongki ah," Mrs Song held his hands, affectionately caressing them. "This is the last one, huh?" she tried to convince her son. Song Joongki inhaled and exhaled slowly, collecting his thought. He finally looked at his mother in the eyes, showing his utmost apology.

"But omma, I have someone I like..."

~||~

"How was your date?" Her colleague, Jang Hyemi asked, pressing the elevator button. Moon Chaewon let out a heavy sigh and looked down on the floor.

"My date talked too much. I couldn't stand it, so, I left," she said spontaneously and formed a triumph smirk. It wasn't the first time she turned down her blind date.

"Indeed you're Moon Chaewon!" Hyemi cheered happily.

"Hey hey hey, what is this "you're Moon Chaewon" thingy?" A pair of arms slung around Hyemi's and Chaewoon's shoulders.

"Joongki-ssi," Chaewon said to the owner of the arms, holding in her irritation toward the arm around her shoulder. Joongki immediately turned his head to the left, wondering why Chaewon called him. "Get this off me or you won't see your handsome face anymore," she warned. In instant, Joongki moved his arm away and earned giggle from Hyemi.

"What a coward." Hyemi said and laughed at him.

“Me? Coward? Ey. It’s not like that,” Joongki defended himself and laughed. He followed the two getting inside the elevator. Hyemi pressed number 3.“It’s just...my handsome face is so precious. I need to take a good care of it,” he continued proudly. Chaewon who was standing with arms crossed beside him rolled her eyes and snickered sarcastically.

“Handsome face your .” Hearing that, Joongki immediately stood in front of her at a really close distance.

“I’m not handsome you say? Why don’t you take a close look?” Joongki said and brought his face closer to her. He flashed the sweetest smile to her. Dugun dugun. Someone’s heart was beating fast. Chaewon was surprised. She took one step back. But Joongki took a step closer to her.

“There’s reason why people call me Flower Boy Joongki,” he winked.

Ting!

They reached at third floor. “Ah we're here,” Joongki uttered excitedly and went out from elevator. But he suddenly stopped halfway. He turned his back and smiled innocently.

“I have fun teasing you, Chaewon-ssi,” he said. “Ah, your face is red.” He laughed and walked away. Chaewon bit her lips hard. She clenched her fists tight.

“Calm down Chaewon ah. He was just fooling around,” Hyemi said carefully. She didn’t want Chaewon to ‘explode’ because of their silly colleague.

~||~

“Hello, this is Pediatric Department of Korea Hospital. What can I help you?” Nurse Kim spoke via telephone. “Yes...ah yes. I understand.” She hung up and made a call. “Hello Dr. Song. A pediatrician is needed right now in emergency room (ER),” Nurse Kim told.

“Yes, I understand,” Joongki replied in other line and hung up. “Dr. Moon, take over patient Woohyun,” he instructed and rushed to ER. Chaewon just looked at Joongki running away from her sight.

“What am I? His slave?” she said to herself, feeling annoyed. Unwillingly following Joongki’s order, she went to Woohyun and did his daily check-up.

“Hi Woohyun, how are you today?” Chaewon asked, smiling sweetly.

“Not so good Dr. Moon..” a 9 years old Woohyun replied weakly. He just had a surgery yesterday.

“He told me earlier that his lower abdomen is hurting,” Woohyun’s mother said worriedly.

“Lower abdomen?” Chaewon questioned. Woohyun’s mother nodded. Without wasting time, Chaewon made a thorough check.

“Call Chief Seo and get me an operating room now!” Chaewon strictly told the attending nurse after recognizing the cause of Woohyun’s pain.

“I got it Dr. Moon.”

~||~

Chaewon landed on her bed tiredly. She, somehow, was thinking about Song Joongki. She didn’t even want to think about him but the scene in the elevator popped in her head. Ah that was embarrassing! He made my heart raced so much. And why must my face turned red? “Argh!” she groaned in frustration and buried her face into the pillow. A text came in. It wrote; From: Song Joongki. “Speak of the devil. What does he want in the middle of the night?” she whined to herself. Unwilling, she opened the text. 

 

From: Song Joongki
Chaewon-ssi, thank you ^_^

 

From: Moon Chaewon

Thank you for what?? I think you should apologize.

 

From: Song Joongki
For Woohyun. Thank you. Apologize for making your heart raced?

 

Dugun dugun. Once again, Chaewon’s heart was beating faster. She could feel that her face was hot. I’m blushing? Because of him? Cannot!! Another text came in.

 

From: Song Joongki
Your heart is racing right now right? And blushing? Because of me? 

 

Chaewon bit her lips hard. She was so not going to reply his text. She put away her phone and tried to sleep. But another text came in. She was determined that she didn’t want to check but she did anyway.

 

From: Song Joongki
Good night Chaewon-ssi. Sleep well and dream of me :)

 

“How I am supposed to sleep now?!! I’m so going to make you stop teasing me Song Joongki!” Chaewon yelled out loud. 

~||~

“Have you seen Dr. Song?” Chaewon asked Nurse Kim who was at reception desk.

“No,” Nurse Kim replied. “But he might be at rooftop or cafeteria if he’s not around here. Usually he would be there...” Chaewon nodded and smiled.

“Thank you Nurse Kim.” Chaewon decided to take a look at the rooftop. It had been a while since she stepped her feet there. Last time she went was when she was still a 1st year resident. It was Song Joongki who brought her there. She still remembered that he once said that whenever he was stressed, he went there.

“Oh, Dr. Moon, you’re here,” a voice interrupted her thought. “Are you looking for me?” Joongki was standing a bit far from her, smiling widely. Chaewon rolled her eyes.

“Me? Looking for you? Oh please,” she lied and walked closer to him. “What are you doing here, Dr. Song?” she asked curiously. “Are you stressed?” Joongki looked at Chaewon in awed.

“Wow, you still remember what I told you,” he said proudly, smiling widely. “I’m not stressed. I was just thinking about.....” he turned his gaze to Chaewon. “...how to confess to Chaewon-ssi.” Chaewon chuckled.

“How to confess to...” Realization hit her. Her eyes widened in surprise. In instant her gaze turned Joongki, jaw dropped slightly. “...me?” Joongki smiled.

“You’re so Moon Chaewon.” He let out a heavenly laughter.

“Chaewon-ssi, I like you.” 


And that was the start of pediatrician couple in the Pediatric Department of Korea Hospital. 

 

*Note: Dugun dugun is the heartbeat's sound.