A New Friendship

First Impression

First day of school complete.

SunHi never thought it would end. She tried to reframe herself from answering all the questions but her hand would automatically raise, causing Suga to make more side comments. She was tempted to say something back, but with a glance of Jin, she quietly focused back on the lecture. Jin knew at times SunHi was a hothead. It has been awhile since he last talked to her. Maybe it was only because he had only seen her happy. And reframed her from getting into fights.

She rushed out of the class to her locker to get her stuff then started heading for home. SunHi was about to put her earbuds on but something stopped her in the process. She saw a group of boys laughing at a girl with glasses. It so happened that one of them was Insu. SunHi hated to see it but she didn't want to get involve and cause more trouble. What sealed the deal was when Insu just totally called out the girl ugly. SunHi marched right over and the boys had stopped their laughter. Their faces showed that they were now scared.

"Picking on a girl just because she wears glasses. I'm sure at some point you've worn them." SunHi scolded. "So shut the hell up and stop judging on appearance."

The boy rolled his eyes. "Listen, I'm warning you now. If you dont take back what you said, I'll be sure you're the one who will have their mouth shut."

"Are you sure you can see? Should we take you to the eye doctor first for a check up?"

"That's it! I warned you, now you're going to get it."

SunHi pushed the girl behind her and took a fighting stance. Back in America, she remembered taking a martial arts class. She had quit when she began high school to focus on basketball. There was only some parts SunHi remembered. To use what she learned for only self defense. She dodged all the punches Insu threw at her, making him frustrated. SunHi had no intentions of hurting him, although she was tempted. She continued to dodge everything, but a circle of people began to crowd in just like this morning. Insu looked like he was getting tired of missing but just wanted to hit her just once. SunHi searched around the crowd, she thought she saw a bit of Suga somewhere but had had it with Insu trying to pick up a fight. With one last punch, SunHi stopped it from hitting her face making everyone gasp. Like a cop, she wrapped his arm behind his back with one hand, and used her other arm to put him in head lock.

"Listen here and listen good. I don't play games. So the next time we have this little fight, I'll be sure that it's your turn to dodge the fists" SunHi told him "And I bet you won't even see it coming. Now when I let go of you, I better see you and you're little friends off to home. Got it?"

He quickly nodded as he was trying to grasp for air. Right when SunHi released, Insu and his friends ran as fast as they could away from her. This caused everyone to disperse. All had left except the girl with the glasses. SunHi walked over to her.

"Are you okay?"

"Ne. Kamsahamida." the girl said.

"You know you shouldn't let people like that jerk get to you. He's not smart. But you are right?" the girl nodded. "Then once you're successful it'll be him who'll be crying. Keep studying kid. It'll get you places. If anyone else bothers you just come and find me."

"Wait a minute." the girl called out before SunHi left. "Who are you?"

"Han SunHi. You?"

"Kim Nami. I'm a transfer from Japan."

SunHi eyes widen. "Seriously? You're from Japan, but your last name―"

"My mom got remarried..."

"Ah I see. Well I'm from America. I didn't realize there was another transfer student attending."

"America? Wow! That's on the other side of the ocean. I've always wanted to go."

"Depends on which part of America you want to go. It's not all that great, but some places are nice."

"What is you're grade?"

"I'll be graduating this year."

It was Nami's turn to have her eyes widen. "You're older then me... I'm two years younger."

SunHi surprised herself that she was okay with that Nami could be the little sister SunHi never had. Besides, she didn't think she was going to make any friends besides maybe BTS minus Suga. Ugh, Suga...

"Eunni, you skateboard?" Nami asked seeing SunHi holding it in her hands.

"Oh yeah... I do. Have you...tried?" She wanted to hit herself for asking but was surprised by the way Nami answered.

"Ani, but I always wanted to. In fact I've always wanted to do anything sporty, but my real dad didn't want me to. He at least allowed me to do golf... but it was too boring for me. Have you done any sports when you were in America?"

"I played basketball."

"Seriously? Wow! That's so cool! I wish I was able to play but I do love watching it."

SunHi beamed a smile. She had finally made a real friend. The girl may be younger then her but SunHi was glad that she could finally have a buddy to meet every now and then. If she had to hang out with BTS for the rest year, who knows how many arguments she and Suga would of had. She already had to deal with him in class. And that was too much already. 

"Where do you live?" Nami asked as they started walk.

"Just a two blocks down, in this direction."

"Do you usually skateboard home?" 

"Yeah, but I go too fast. I'll walk it's fine. How far do you have to go?"

"To the library."

SunHi looked at her. "Are you sure? That's pretty far."

"I'll be fine really. My mom works there anyway so it's okay."

"Well I'll just walk you there just in case those jerks passby. My parents are still working anyway."

The two girls continued their way to the library. They got to know each other and saw how similar they were. SunHi taught Nami some English words and Nami taught SunHi some Japanese. It was great having a friend so close already. When they reached the library, the two said their goodbyes and SunHi began her way back home on her skateboard. Her only focus was just getting back now. That was until she was three blocks away from home.