The Trip

Peter and his Reluctant Wendy
Please log in to read the full chapter

 ‘Eonni~’ I whispered as I ran my hand through my hair.

 ‘Yeah?’ She questioned as she looked around for Baekhyun.

 ‘Do you think we can switch partners? Like, let Baekhyun and Chanyeol be buddies and we could be partners.’ I smiled at her and she looked at me smiling happily. I almost believed she was going to agree with me, until she decided to reply.

 ‘Nope,' she chirped.

 ‘Why?’ I frowned watching her eyebrows drop as she gave me an unamused look.

 ‘Because it’s my chance to spend time with Baekhyun! And I don’t think they’ll let us,’ she pointed over at Teacher Jung, my History teacher who was currently in a heated conversation with the Queenka’s.

 ‘I guess,’ I my lips before biting them. ‘Oh my gosh, there they are,’ I spotted the Kingka’s walking up together, as usual.

 ‘Jaehwa-shii!’ Chanyeol exclaimed and he smiled widely as he waved and I went red and  waved back.

 ‘Hello, Chanyeol-shii,’ I walked up to him and gave a small bow causing him to laugh. Really he was rather plain, it wasn’t unusual to find a tall guy with brown hair. I didn’t really understand why he was a kingka, I always figured status was based more on looks than personality but maybe not. His personality has to be the thing that’s keeping him there.

‘There’s no need to be so formal, we’ll be hanging out for the next few days after all.’

‘Ah,’ I nodded and smiled nervously as I ran my hand through my hair.

‘Are you Chanyeol’s partner?’ I looked to see Kai smiling at me.

‘Yeah, I’m Jaehwa, Jongin-shii, right?’ I responded as I nodded in thought. I had heard his name from time to time, I couldn't be sure if Jongin was his real name because he always used his nickname, if it is his nickname that is.

‘I’m not surprised you know me, I am the most attractive Kingka here,’ Kai smirked and I laughed feeling at ease, he reminded me of my brother.

‘Yah! Kai! Stop flirting with my partner,’ Chanyeol snapped before his fixed his coat. ‘Besides we all know I’m the most attractive one,’ he winked arrogantly, eliciting a smile of disbelief from me.

‘I was not flirting with her, she was flirting with me.’ He responded and I snorted, laughing before going red. My terrible habit was already striking, my snorting.

‘When was I flirting with you? I just said hi,’ I retorted trying to pretend I wasn’t embarrassed.

‘See, look at my smart partner, she already knows who to side with.’ Chanyeol grinned.

‘Attention! Students! Attention!’ I turned to see Teacher Jung who was trying and failing to catch the attention of the students with her soft voice. Her short stature certainly wasn’t helping her either.

‘Hey!’ Teacher Oh snapped loudly. ‘Listen up!’ He growled out getting all of the students attention. Teacher Jung bowed smiling at him, looking like she was thanking him before she cleared .

‘Now I have already gotten multiple complaints over the past few days and I want to clear something with you. There will be no switching partners. Who you are with, is who you will stay with! You all know the rules, when we get into the buses your head will read them to you again to make sure you remember them. And yes, you will be sitting with your partner on the bus. I expect you all to be on your best behaviour! Teacher Oh will be reading out what buses you will be on. Group A is in bus one, the bus to my right. Group B is in bus two, the bus to my left. When you get called you can get into your bus.’

‘In Group A we have Nam Soyoung and Lee Rina. Next we Park Chanyeol and Kim Jaehwa.’ I immediately grabbed my bag and walked to the bus with Chanyeol.

‘Well, would you look at that, we will be sharing single seats.’ Chanyeol whispered to me and I went red as I cleared my throat.

‘Yeah, well where do you want to sit? I’m okay anywhere. Is it okay if I have the window seat though?’

‘Sure,’ he nodded and made his way to the back of the bus. I followed after him before he pointed at the row at the very back. ‘We are sitting here!’ I nodded and looked at the front of the bus before sitting down beside the window. He dropped into his seat grinning, ‘so are you looking forward to the trip?’

‘Yeah,’ I like trips, I finished my sentence in my head and Chanyeol smiled lopsidedly.

‘You know you can say everything you want to with me. You don’t have to keep anything in.’ He looked to the front of the bus calmly looking at the pairs who were coming in as I stared at him with a frown. I would almost think he was telepathic, if telepathy existed of course. ‘I have an older sister.’ He turned his head to look at me and I opened my mouth and shut it before furrowing my eyebrows.

‘Older sister?’

‘Yeah, I got good at reading between the lines because of her.’ He smiled and I nodded.

‘Ah, that’s actually pretty cool, I have two brothers, but they are still oblivious to females and our manner of speech.’ I smiled at him though it probably looked more like a wince. I was extremely sensitive to my mannerisms at the moment and I could hear how ridiculous I sounded, because I was speaking extremely formal. My friend Gayun always called it my “psychologist speak”.

‘Relax, seriously, I’m not going to bite.’ He started laughing before he stood up quickly, banging his head on the bus roof as he waved at D.O and Sehun who made their way into the bus. He rubbed his head and dropped down into his seat again as they started to walk up to us. I smiled and laughed snorting in the process.

‘Nice,’ I muttered and he glanced at me smiling before he highfived his friends.

‘D.O, Sehun, did you two meet my partner yet?’ He asked and they shook their head.

‘Hi, I’m D.O,’ D.O smiled at me and I smiled back. He’s actually kind of cute up close, I like how big his eyes are. I could definitely see why he was a kingka.

‘I’m Sehun.’ Sehun nodded to me with a blank face and I nodded back feeling the nervousness I hadn’t realised had disappeared come back full force.

‘I’m Jaehwa, it’s nice to meet you,’ I stood making a point to not bash my head and gave a small bow.

‘Showoff,’ Chanyeol muttered rubbing his head and I laughed quietly as I sat down again.

‘We’ll see you after the trip,’ D.O nodded to the full seats beside and in front of us. ‘The only seats left are in the front.’

‘Oh, we can move,’ the girl in front of us made to get up and D.O shook his head.

‘Don’t worry about it, you got here first. See you guys later’ He smiled before walking off, Sehun looked at the seat before sighing.

‘See you later hyung,’ he nodded to Chanyeol before following D.O.

‘So, what do you want to do?’ Chanyeol asked and I blinked, tilting my head.

‘What do you mean?’ I asked frowning and he mimicked me by tilting his head and frowning.

‘Well we have a long ride ahead of us, we should try and be less nervous now rather than later.’

‘Ah.’

‘Ah?’ He frowned at my response.

‘We could do twenty questions?’

‘I’m okay with that,’ he grinned a mischievous shine coming into his eyes causing me to frown.

‘But nothing embarrassing,’ I quickly said not wanting to imagine what he could be thinking. ‘So can I go first?’ I asked and he nodded.

‘What’s your favourite color?’ He asked and I raised an eyebrow.

‘Aren’t I asking the first question?’

‘You did ask the first question, you asked if you could go first,’ he grinned and I smiled before rolling my eyes.

‘Alright then fine, I’ll answer yours, mine was going to be that too.’ I frowned and bit my lip as I thought. ‘I don’t know either blue, green or purple, yours?’

‘Black.’

‘Black’s a shade not a color,’ I responded immediately and he sighed.

‘You’re a stickler for details aren’t you?’

‘I would say yes, but then it would just be more embarrassing when I do something wrong.’ I retorted, ‘sorry if it offended you.’

‘It didn’t, so what’s your question?’

‘Favourite number?’

‘21, what about you?’

‘23.’

‘Favourite animal?’

‘Definitely a cat, even though I’m pretty sure I’m allergic to them,’ I smiled dropping into my habit of giving more information than asked.

‘I like most animals, I used to have seven dogs. I also had a cat, but I had to get rid of it, I’m allergic to them as well.’

‘What about favourite element? Like actually element not chemistry.’

‘Fire,’ he grinned holding out his palm like he had a flame before he shook his hand out faking a pained expression. ‘You?’

‘Ah, I don’t know, air maybe, or water, I can never choose.’

‘You’re indecisive aren’t you?’ He smiled as if it was some new and interesting discovery he made.

‘Ehe,’ I my lips and nodded, ‘yeah. I can’t make up my mind. What about favourite genre of music?’

‘Hip hop and rap probably, you?’

‘I’m okay with all of them really, but I prefer Pop and rap.’ We fell into silence after and I pulled out my ipod ready to put music on.

‘Do you have english music?’ Chanyeol asked looking at my ipod and I nodded.

‘Do you want to listen to my music with me? I have a headphone divider….thing,’ I pulled it out and looked at it with a frown.

‘Sure,’ he grinned and pulled out his headphones connecting them to the divider. I created a new playlist naming it “ommooo”, it fit in with all of my strangely named playlists. I filled the playlist with the hip hop and rap english songs I liked including some of my favourite pop songs. I fit my headphones in and started the playlist. I sighed as I relaxed, smiling as KB came on, I hope he likes my music. Not that it will matter there’s no need to get stressed, I won't see him after the trip.

 

The rest of the ride was spent in silence, on my side anyways. I took to reading and listening to music. Chanyeol however switched between listening to music and being quiet to chatting with the other students animately, he made this switch quite frequently. I didn’t mind that he ignored me for the rest of the ride. I actually enjoyed just listening to music and reading. It’s what I like doing when I’m on road trips, road trips were the perfect time to daydream and get lost in your thoughts and not be bothering anyone. This was because everyone was too busy doing their own things to notice. ‘Meimei!’ I looked up as I waited for the students to get out of the bus. Like usual I was too lost in my thoughts to notice something important happening in this case, the bus stopping.

  ‘Ge?’ I responded automatically as I noticed Lay and Chen standing three rows down letting other people pass them. ‘I didn’t know you guys were in our group!’ I smiled as we finally got our chance to go down the aisle to leave.

‘That’s because you weren’t looking for us,’ Chen smiled, his tongue poking out in response.

‘You were much too busy flirting,’ Lay added and I went red and shook my head.

‘I was not flirting.’

‘Then what were you doing?’

‘We were communicating in a formal fashion.’ I responded as we made our way through the crowd of excited students. Chen slung his arm around Lay’s shoulder as they walked. Somehow Chen had accidently touched Lay’s neck, Lay immediately shied away and I started laughing.

‘Oh my gosh, Lay, you are a walking Chinese contradiction,’ I blurted out as he smiled meekly and shrugged. I always found the difference between interaction in cultures interesting. For example in comparison to Canadian culture where we just walked, no touching, in Chinese culture it was common for friends to sling their arms around each others shoulders as they walked. I had heard as being described as “holding each other back,” however Lay didn’t usually enjoy doing that because of his sensitive neck. Anything from a breath or a tiny nudge on his neck made him uncomfortable.

‘I don’t like my neck being touched,’ he responded before he leaned forward. ‘Just like how you hate people talking into your ear.’ He spoke into my ear and I stiffened and rubbed my ear before blowing on his neck. He yelped and scowled at me as Chen started laughing at us.

‘You know I would say you two were siblings if you were both Chinese.’ Lay and I glanced at each other and rolled our eyes at the same time. Chen always alluded to the fact we weren’t actually related, it was almost like an obsession how much he mentioned it.

‘Jaehwa~!’ I turned to see Sooyun running towards us, she had a large smile imprinted on her face and bright red cheeks to go along with her overjoyed mood.

‘Hey,’ I smiled at her as she slowed down and entered our closed off clique.

‘I think I love him,’ she cooed as she hugged my arm. ‘I really do.’

‘Love? No, dude,’ I shifted as Lay and Chen shared amused looks. Even though I had switched languages since moving here I still found words that matched the ones at home. Like dude, the group never failed to find it amusing that I always used the word dude for all of them even though Sooyun is a female. ‘Dudette, you can’t love him, it’s much too soon. I mean you don’t even know him! You don’t even know what he’s allergic to! Or his favourite genre of music, or his favourite element!’ I spewed the questions that Chanyeol and I had gone over as evidence. I’ve always been a firm believer in getting to know someone a long time before even admitting your crush. As much as I had a soft spot for romance and fairy tal

Please log in to read the full chapter