The Welcome Back Party

Peter and his Reluctant Wendy
Please log in to read the full chapter

 ‘Come on,’ Chanyeol readily grabbed my hand, pulling me towards the entrance, his lips pulled into his signature smile. ‘Everyone’s waiting.’

 ‘What about Kris and the rest?’ I questioned, we had left the airport before them, so wouldn’t we get here first?

 ‘I took the long way,’ he glanced back at me, looking as pleased as a puppy that caught its toy. I could have sworn my heart skipped a beat, if of course I liked him. But as I told my mother, I don’t, I won’t, and that fluttering of my heart is just my imagination. Without warning he opened the door and pushed me into the restaurant, the loud sound of cheers startling me almost as much as Tao as he lunged forwards to hug me, speaking in fast incomprehensible mandarin.

 ‘Hello ge, how are you?’ I spoke the greeting, internally wincing at how robotic and rehearsed it sounded.

 ‘I’m good! And I know you are too!’ He pulled away, his eyes shining with glee before he shoved me into the awaiting arms of the next person in line to greet me, Luhan.

 ‘Welcome back meimei,’ Luhan smiled, quickly enveloping me in a hug before I could say or do a thing.

 ‘Thanks,’ I smiled at him, about to ask how he was as per social obligation but he disappeared into the group before I could. ‘Is this rush greeting or something?’ I frowned noticing Tao had also  disappeared.

 ‘Of course,’ Lay grinned stepping forwards, he outstretched his hand quickly ruffling my hair. ‘We thought it would be more fun to do speed greeting,’ he side hugged me before covering my eyes so I couldn’t see. ‘That way you would just have to accept every hello and not be able to argue with us!’

 I felt someone else hug me before Lay removed his hand revealing Kai, ‘welcome back to the land of Korea, Jaehwa-ah.’ He pulled away Suho right behind him. I could feel my cheeks flush as I slowly processed the fact that he was greeting me like a good friend. Suho stepped up and hugged me as well, acting the same way.

 ‘You should be telling us before you leave, we wanted a chance to say goodbye,’ Suho scolded before he stepped away letting Sehun come up. Sehun shuffled his feet looking just as uncomfortable as I did before he awkwardly gave me a side hug, whispering his greeting before melting away into the crowd.

 ‘That kid is so,’ Xiumin shook his head trying to think of a word for him. ‘He likes you don’t worry, he’s just,’ he hugged me sighing heavily his hot breath moving my hair. ‘He is expressive,’ Xiumin pulled away staring at me with his eyes narrowed as if trying to figure something out, ‘I think there’s just something wrong with you, you activate robot mode.’

 ‘Nicest Oppa ever, right here,’ I rolled my eyes as he smiled and nodded, looking proud that he elicited that comment. He strolled away, his hands in his pockets as D.O walked up.

 ‘Hello Jaehwa,’ he smiled softly before hugging me. ‘Welcome back,’ before I could say anything Chanyeol suddenly cleared his throat causing D.O. to pull away.

 ‘Well I guess it’s time for supper then, right?’ He smiled largely, stiffly grabbing my elbow and pulling me towards a table where there was a line of bowls that had food in it resting on the table. One bowl had rice, the other veggies, the next was seaweed soup, the one after that had tteokbokki and the last was jajangmyeon. A random assortment but every one of them was my favourite. ‘So Jaehwa will serve herself first, then ladies so Sooyun and Luhan-hyung can go next.’ Chanyeol snickered as Luhan glared at him, only being held back by Kris who was shooting the grinning teen an unamused glare. ‘Alright,’ Chanyeol passed me a plate, inching his way slowly towards the group, not wanting to get tackled by Luhan.

 I scanned the dishes, my mouth watering as I looked at them. I scooped a little bit of everything onto my plate, and the seaweed soup into a separate bowl. I could tell immediately that the tteokbokki was made by Lay, we spent a long time self teaching ourselves the dish and I had learned how to recognise his through that. Lay’s tteokbokki looked as uncertain as he is, it looked almost like it didn’t know whether it should be a pierogi or a fish cake. ‘I’m guessing supper tonight isn’t going to be very balanced?’ I looked up at the group, watching as Chen snorted, as if appalled that I had asked the question.

 ‘There’s veggies, that’s balanced isn’t it? I mean I wanted to have ramen instead but he wanted stir fried veggies,’ Chen nodded to D.O who blinked and stared at him looking confused that he was the one singled out. Rolling my eyes I walked by the group and claimed a seat at one of the tables they had pushed together. Within moments of Sooyun sitting down beside me I could hear the scrambling of boys running to get food.

 ‘He volunteered for veggies,’ Sooyun stirred her soup with her spoon, glancing distastefully at my tteokbokki.

 ‘Here do you want some,’ I smiled at her and jokingly lifted a fish cake for her to eat, laughing at the disgusted expression that flashed across her face.

 ‘Oh,’ she looked away pretending to choke, ‘I can smell the fish.’

 ‘Well I would hope so, it is made of fish. If it didn’t smell somewhat like seafood there would be a problem.’ She smiled and rolled her eyes as Baekhyun and Chanyeol walked up from the other side of the table, Baekhyun sat down across from Sooyun and Chanyeol sat down beside him, winking at me as he claimed the seat across from me.

 ‘So, how’s the food?’ Chanyeol picked up his metal chopsticks, they clinked together as he adjusted his grip.

 ‘I haven’t had any,’ I picked up my own chopsticks and picked up some broccoli, instantly heading to eat my vegetables. Slowly chewing I smiled before eating a bit of everything I had gotten. ‘It’s really good!’ I smiled before moving onto my vegetables again, I always ate my food one thing at a time, once I finished my veggies I would start on my jajangmyeon, the seaweed soup, then tteokbokki.

 ‘Auntie insisted on making the jajangmyeon,’ Baekhyun practically shovelled the noodles into his mouth as Suho sat down beside him frowning at him, clearly resisting the urge to nag the boy.

 ‘I know, she’s always wants to be apart of everything,’ Chanyeol rolled his eyes before tsking, his lips curling up into a smile.

 ‘What music are we playing?’ Kai shouted as he sat down beside Chanyeol, as he listened for answers he attached speakers to his phone.

 ‘What do you mean what music! I sent you a playlist!’ Sooyun frowned at him, not looking at all satisfied when he nodded slowly.

 ‘Right, you did, and I’ll turn it on right now, just for you,’ he grinned at her before looking down at his phone, turning on the proper music.

‘You made a playlist? For me?’ I smiled and placed my hand over my heart, ‘that’s so touching.’

 ‘I know,’ Sooyun smiled as she straightened, ‘I’m a touching person.’

 ‘Our Baekhyunnies girlfriend is so cute!’ I watched Chanyeol tensed, his eyes widening as soon as he heard the woman speaking behind us. I turned in my seat to see the girl who was complimenting Sooyun. The first thing I could tell was that she was straight to business, she had a fashionable bob, and what seemed to be a permanent smirk plastered on her attractive face.

 ‘Noona!’ Chen smiled and rushed up to her, ‘I didn’t know you were dropping in.’

 ‘Of course!’ She smiled back at him before she looked at me, ‘I had to see the girl our Chanyeol-’

 ‘Noona!’ I jolted hearing Chanyeol suddenly jump up from his seat, scrambling over to the girl. ‘That’s good,’ he covered , as he grinned nervously, laughing lowly as he avoided looking at me. ‘I think mum and dad are waiting for you at home, right?’ He looked down at the girl, who was apparently his older sister, despite wearing heels she was still much shorter than her younger brother.

 The girl shook Chanyeol off of her before pinching his ear, ‘as I was saying,’ he winced and tried to push her away but she held firmly onto his ear. ‘I’m Yura, Chanyeol’s older sister and I wanted to meet the girl he wanted to help hold the party for.’ Yura smiled at me, letting go of Chanyeol’s ear she held her hand out to me. Blinking I stared at her momentarily not understanding what it meant.

 ‘I’m Jaehwa, I go to school with him,’ shaking her hand I smiled at her. I could tell they were  related, they both had the same smile and eyebrows, among other similarities.

 ‘I could tell you a lot about my brother,’ she claimed the empty seat next to me beaming at Chen who put down a plate of food in front of her. ‘Thanks Chen!’

 ‘No problem noona,’ he sat down beside her beaming, he looked really pleased with himself.

 ‘Noona,’ Chanyeol pulled on his sister's arm trying to pull her up. ‘What are you doing?’

 ‘I’m enjoying a nice supper and getting to know your friend, now go and sit down like a good boy and let me talk.’ I watched as she stared him down, it wasn’t long before Chanyeol folded and slowly made his way to his chair. ‘So, where are you from?’

 ‘I’m from Canada,’ I ate some jajangmyeon and smiled immediately, ‘this is really good.’

 ‘My mother will be glad to hear that, she made it,’ Yura smiled as she picked a piece of broccoli with her chopstick, popping it in .

‘Oh, really? I’ve always been meaning to learn how to make it, but I spent all my time trying to make tteokbokki with Yixing.’

 ‘So, are you dating him?’ I snorted and shook my head instantly.

 ‘No, never, he’s like my older brother, I mean I call him gege, you don’t say that to people you have a crush on, it literally means older brother, not boyfriend and such like oppa.’ She nodded and started spinning her jajangmyeon, the majority of it wrapped around making a large black mass of noodles running up her chopsticks.

 ‘Really? Who do you call oppa?’

 ‘Well I call him oppa sometimes too, I call Jongdae oppa, and Minseok-oppa….’ I frowned as I thought of who I actually used the word oppa for.

 ‘She calls everyone but Chanyeol-hyung oppa,’ Sehun spoke up, smiling at Chanyeol who huffed and glared at his noodles.

 ‘I called Chanyeol-shii oppa once before,’ I nodded, frowning in thought. ‘But that was an accident.’

 ‘Well that’s to be expected,’ Yura smiled and finished the last bit of the small portion Chen had put on her plate. ‘I think I should leave you kids to party, it was nice to meet you Jaehwa.’ She stood up and bowed before leaving the restaurant. Chen immediately moved over one seat to sit down beside me.

 ‘Noona never stays for long,’ he sighed and stared at the door with a frown.

 ‘I thought you had a crush on Mina,’ Kris raised an eyebrow at Chen, looking at him skeptically.

 ‘I do! I really, really like Mina,’ Chen sighed dreamily before grinning, ‘but Yura is my unobtainable dream girl, the perfect noona.’

 ‘Stop! Stop, stop! This is my sister you’re talking about!’ Chanyeol winced, waving his hands in the air frantically, he accidently hit his water glass and it fell almost spilling on Baekhyun’s lap. ‘Woah,’ I watched as he laughed, smiling lopsidedly at his friend. ‘Sorry, I didn’t mean to.’ Baekhyun remained silent, before slowly turning his head to look at the talle

Please log in to read the full chapter