Family Dinner

Peter and his Reluctant Wendy
Please log in to read the full chapter

‘Jaida!’ I smiled as Jacob ran towards me, a large smile plastered on his face. His brown hair had started to grow out again, resulting in a curly quiff. He was still as tall and lanky as ever, even more so than Chanyeol. He had gotten a new black bomber jacket since I was gone, it was really nice. If he let me I would probably borrow it, despite it being a mens coat, I could make it work. It was kind of depressing how he always had better clothes than me.

‘Jacob!’ I hugged him, relaxing into his warm embrace. There is nothing better than a hug from a brother, ‘how are you?’

‘I’m good,’ he pulled away and held up his keyring, ‘I got a new car.’

‘Oh, nice,’ I swiped the keyring from him and ran my fingers along the new key. Jacob was used to my innate need to touch things and let me look at it despite his possessive nature when it came to his new toys. ‘What kind of car?’

‘A nice one, oh Jaida just wait until you see it. I mean, she’s beautiful!’

‘Careful, your girlfriend might get jealous,’ I laughed as he grinned more.

‘So, how are you feeling?’

‘Me?’ I scanned the conveyor belt, brightening when I saw my bag. ‘I think I’m good,’ clutching the handle I breathed out heavily as I yanked it up and to the ground.

‘Really? Kris says you have a suitor, is my darling little sister finally growing up?’ Rolling my eyes I bumped his arm.

‘I’ve had a boyfriend before you dork, and I don’t have a suitor, that requires someone liking you.’ I felt my stomach drop as I breathed out quietly, Chanyeol doesn’t like me, I- he- I already ticked off lots of things on his negative list. Anger isn’t something easily recovered from. Well it is, natural anger actually only lasts for a couple of seconds, it’s the after effects I’m anxious for, the deep set annoyance.

‘That’s what you said about Matt and he ended up confessing,’ I shook my head and sighed before smiling at him. I don’t what it is about me but shipping always happens to me, it is worse with the thirteen in Korea, but it happened at home too. Matt, we were just friends but everyone shipped us, his parents, his brothers, my brothers, his sister in law, our friends, it was actually kind of funny. In an extremely aggravating way that is.

‘No, he didn’t, you’re all delusional,’ he waved my hand away, taking my bag as we pushed through the throngs of people.

‘Let me be an awesome brother.’

‘Oh, like you’re not awesome already,’ he nodded and shrugged before smirking.

‘Yeah, I can’t get any better than I already am,’ I laughed and shook my head.

‘No of course not, you’re just too good, what am I saying.’

‘Good to know that you understand,’ he pointed his finger at me before holding out his hand, ‘now I need my keys.’

‘Alright, just don’t get into an accident alright, I’m trusting you with my life,’ I held the keys over his hand. ‘My life bro, don’t waste it,’ dropping them into his hand I smiled as he rolled his eyes and bumped my arm with his elbow.

‘I’m not going to kill you,’ he walked up to a brand new dark green mustang and popped the trunk.

‘Green, what a surprise,’ I took my bag from him and lifted it, ignoring the strain of my arms, before dropping it in.

‘Woah, woah, woah! Careful!’ He waved his arm dramatically before closing the trunk with a loud thump.

‘What was that about careful?’ I laughed as I got into the passenger seat.

‘My car, my rules,’ he shut the door behind him and clipped his seatbelt in. ‘How is Kris?’ He put the keys in the ignition, grinning as the mustang purred to life.

‘Kris? He’s good, you talked to him yesterday.’ I watched as he his music. I winced at the loud volume watching as he immediately turned it down. ‘Sorry.’

‘No, no it’s okay, you can ruin your hearing if you want to.’

‘So you are aware we are heading out for supper.’ I groaned and looked at the time, 6 pm, I felt dead tired.

‘Where to?’

‘Mum wants olive garden so that’s the likely place, Peter’s probably going to be late.’ He shook his head, ‘again,’ chuckling he pressed his foot on the gas, speeding up.

‘You mean we still don’t know?’ He shrugged and checked his phone, ‘its official olive garden.’

‘Alright,’ I pulled out my ipod, turning on the camera before looking at my eyes. I’ve got eye bags again, I think I slept too much last night, turning off my ipod I slipped it into my pocket.

‘We’re almost there, mum’s going to be so happy to see you.’ He grinned, his finger tapping on the wheel as he spoke.

‘What are you hiding?’ I whispered, I bit my lip as he laughed, it has to do with his girlfriend Angela.

‘You’ll see.’

‘What? Did you finally propose?’ I smiled as he scoffed.

‘Yes!’ Pure ecstasy was brightening his limpid blue eyes, the almost mad smile plastered on his face was eerily reminiscent of the fourth Doctor.

‘She agreed? She agreed!’ I clapped my hands as he pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant.

‘Of course, like she could refuse me,’ he yanked the keys out of the ignition spinning the ring on his finger.

‘Alright Mr. Cocky whatever you say,’ getting out I was almost immediately attacked by Angela.

‘Jaida!’

‘Angela! How are you? Can I see it?’ I waved my hand to her arm and she immediately stuck out her hand showing a fancy gold ring with a set or small diamonds encircling a larger one. ‘Oh, it’s gorgeous! He chose well.’

‘More like I chose well, I’ve been leaving magazines around for days,’ I laughed as she winked. ‘Now tell me all about your trip.’

‘We went to go see some temples for school, it was really nice, I liked it. And you never said how you are,’ I opened the door letting Jacob and Angela in before following them in. I was immediately enveloped by the clinking sound of dishes, laughter, and the faint music playing in the restaurant. It was so nice being home, Korea was wonderful and all but there something about being in Canada that felt relaxing.

‘I’m good, I’m good,’ she entwined her fingers with Jacob’s before smiling. ‘Now, I’m going to pick your supper out for you.’

‘You are?’ I raised my eyebrows as I sat down across from her, Jacob quickly claiming the seat beside her.

‘Yes! I came here recently and I tried a pasta you would like, and I know how indecisive you are.’

‘Alright,’ nodding I leaned forwards, resting my elbows on the table. ‘I can go for that.’

‘So, Kris told me about a guy,’ she purred as her glossed lips pulled into a smug smirk.

‘Oh dear- did Kris tell everyone! There is no guy!’ I crossed my arms and puffed my cheeks out.

‘Really? I heard he held your hand,’ she put her hand to , quirking an eyebrow. ‘How scandalous!’ It was sweet how Chanyeol did not mind my sweaty hand, it was small things like that, that would make whatever girl that would date him lucky. Though his avid need to cut into my emotional life was a downfall. Not that I saw him romantically, I just meant that well other girls might find it bothersome.

‘Yes, quite.’

Please log in to read the full chapter