Let's NOT Drop Our Ice Cream

Peter and his Reluctant Wendy
Please log in to read the full chapter

 Within moments of walking in the class my eyes fell on Chanyeol. Within moments of resolving to my experiment, I let out a quiet whimper of defeat and slouched into my seat, resolving instead to not do it. What was I expecting? Could I really expect a good reaction from him? I looked at him, and he was as he always was. He was comfortably slouched in his seat, his shirt was tucked in, tie was nestled properly against his collar. He was smiling charmingly as he talked to Kris, and his molton brown eyes were full of glee as he was waving his hands to enunciate his point. He was, as always, excited and full of energy.

 

 I looked away from him and stared out the window, I could see the tree I was sitting at to the right, nestled near the field that I had no doubt would be full of students in the matter of minutes. I still had a while to decide whether or not I thought the experiment was a good idea. My head was screaming no, and my heart wasn’t really saying anything, because, really, that whole your heart speaks thing is void to me. There is no heart speak. There is merely speak, whether that is of my own creation in my mind, my voice, or the voices of others, is irrelevant. All that is relevant, is that my heart does not speak to me, it never has.

 ‘Jaehwa?’ I looked away from the empty board to Chanyeol whose eyebrows were knit together in worry. ‘You okay?’

 ‘Hm?’ I tilted my head in confusion, ‘why?’

 ‘You went missing during lunch.’

 ‘I did, didn’t I. Though it can’t really be missing if there is was no process of getting lost.’ Shooting him a bland smile I looked to the front of the room. What was that! I felt like slamming my head into my desk, that was not flirtatious, that was hostile. Dammit.

 ‘Right,’ Chanyeol frowned and slowly turned his head to the front, before glancing at me again, looking even more confused than earlier.

 What kind of person does that? I scolded myself mentally. I should just not open my mouth, that’s what I should do, or rather, shouldn’t? Aish, I thought as I ran my hand through my hair.

 ‘Are you okay?’

 ‘Me?’ I looked back at him, before following his gaze to my shirt that was still undone, and the tie that was halfway down my chest. Closing my eyes I rubbed them with my fingers, I was really falling apart at the seams. ‘I’m fine,’ I buttoned up my shirt, then fixed my tie. ‘I was just relaxing,’ I reached up to my ponytail and pulled out the elastic before ruffling my hair. I sighed as I smelt the sweet scent of my shampoo, I loved the scent of washed hair.

 ‘Okay,’ Chanyeol still looked thrown off, and had started tapping his fingers on the table. In fact, I would almost say he looked more uncomfortable than before.

 ‘Jae,’ I tilted my head back to look at Kris.

 ‘Yeah?’

 ‘Pay attention to the class,’ he poked my head and I stuck my tongue out at him before looking to the front. The teacher had only just walked into the class as I straightened, there wasn’t anything to pay attention to while I was speaking to Chanyeol. So, with that revelation, I shot him one of my patented looks before looking to the front.

 Midway through the class I noticed movement to my left, so glancing to my side, I noticed Chanyeol opening one of the lollipops a girl had given him. With pursed lips I looked back to the front of the class and decided that I was going to die of curiosity if I didn’t figure it out. I was most definitely going to do it, I would participate in the experiment Sooyun suggested. I chanted the guidelines in my head, keep my focus on him, skin contact whenever necessary, and, what was the last one? What kind of a suggestion was it to flirt with him anyways? And as an experiment? I looked over at Sooyun who was innocently taking notes. This sounded ridiculous even to me.

 

 I, of course, avoided the task for a week. It took a whole week for me to surrender, and it was only because my battle of wills was conquered by a fangirl. All week long girls had been flirting with the whole of EXO, they got candy, love notes, love everything. I treated them with the best of intentions, which really meant I was glaring at them and mentally scolding them for their obvious lack of homework just so they could make precious gifts for their oppas.

 One girl did more than just make a gift, she manipulated a whole event, she played with Chanyeol’s personality, that was what made me make up my mind. It was a well known fact that Chanyeol was a beagle, he’s just a goof. He’s playful, can’t sit still, and will take advantage of any situation for a game. So, a fangirl, full knowing of this, placed a present on his desk. I watched her wait for him, I watched her sit up when he walked in, and I most definitely watched her fake panic when he picked up her gift. That was when the trouble began.

 I narrowed my eyes and leaned back in my seat as I watched her cover , ‘oppa!’ She wailed as she reached for it, ‘please don’t open that! Can’t I have it back?’

 ‘This?’ Chanyeol leaned against his desk and waved the small envelope in the air with a teasing smile. ‘Why? What’s in it?’ He pretended to go to open it, instantly her glossed lips tugged into a pout.

 ‘Oppa~’ she simpered as she reached for it. As if on cue Chanyeol laughed and lifted his hand so she couldn’t reach it. ‘Give it back!’

 ‘What, this?’ I felt my jaw shift as she placed one of her manicure hands firmly on his chest, I felt my heart stop as she leaned in as close as she could, pretending to reach for her letter.

 ‘Oppa, that’s not very nice,’ her voice lowered in what I could easily identify as a sultry voice.

 ‘Really?’ He smiled and lowered his head, I scoffed and rolled my eyes, looking at my work. They were right beside me, they were right beside me flirting, they were right beside me flirting and getting physical. I barely noticed him clearing his voice or handing the letter to her with whispered words. No doubt they were the cliche sweet nothings that were always hinted to in movies. I could almost feel my eye twitching as I imagined what he could be saying to her.

 ‘Get a room!’ Tao hollered from behind me. I wanted to bury my head in my arms and never look up again. Even Tao thought they were flirting. This was hopeless.

 ‘Jaehwa,’ I tilted my head just the tiniest bit to show I was listening to Chanyeol, but kept my eyes planted firmly on the front of the room.

 ‘Can I borrow a pen?’

 ‘Sure,’ I picked up my pen that he had bought me and placed it on his desk. This is yours, right? I shouldn’t have kept it so long. Consider it returned, at least, that’s what I wanted to say. Instead I just kept my mouth clamped shut and looked to the front of the room. I could never been a cool girl like that. That just wasn’t me.

 But, I picked up my pencil and started twirling it. I could try and do what Sooyun suggested. Try her experiment that was really her way of trying to make me show initiative as opposed to testing anything. At least, I’m sure that’s what she meant it as. I truly meant it as an experiment. I supposed I had to initiate skinship somehow, no idea how. I gasped softly in shock when I dropped my pencil, ‘oops.’

 I watched as Chanyeol bent down and picked it up, he twirled the pencil suavely, keeping a cheeky grin on his face as he placed it into my hand, ‘here.’

 ‘Thanks,’ I smiled at him then looked back at my notes. How was I supposed to get his attention anyways? My eyes flickered to the clock and I sighed in relief as soon as I read the time. ‘Lunch time!’ I clicked my tongue in approval as the bell went off. I got up and started putting away all of my things in their proper places.

 ‘Jaehwa, are you alright?’ I looked at Chanyeol as I swung my newly zipped backpack over my shoulder.

 ‘What do you mean?’ I frowned, avoiding looking at his eyes. He re

Please log in to read the full chapter