Mall Mishaps

Peter and his Reluctant Wendy
Please log in to read the full chapter

I listened to Chanyeol intently as he pointed out different aspects of the temple, such as how it was actually rebuilt after being partially destroyed. I was watching him speak, his eyes were shining and he had a small smirk on his face as he spoke. His voice was low but soft and captivating. I looked away as I felt my cheeks grow warm I really shouldn't be focusing on him so much. ‘And apparently that’s why it’s called Geumjeongsan. Or Gold Well mountain.’

‘Really?’ I asked, ‘I can’t imagine why a fish from heaven would like the well so much. If I were in heaven I don’t think I’d ever want to come down.’ I mused as I looked up at the sky with a wistful smile. I absolutely loved this weather, it suited the temple perfectly. There was a sweet smelling wind carrying the scent of the blossoms in the garden, and the sky was a bright blue. The clouds were few and a fluffy white.

‘I don’t think I would last in heaven for long,’ Chanyeol disagreed. ‘I’d want to come back down and see everything first hand as the times change and things evolve.’

‘Mmmmm,’ I nodded in agreement, he had a valid point. I would love to see the how the world would move forward. ‘However the fish did neither,’ I smiled laughing.

‘Yeah, that fish just swam around, nothing special about that. Unless of course that was it’s purpose.’ I paused and tilted my head towards him, my brow raised curiously.

‘Purpose? So, like it came down just to bless the land and have the well named what it was?’ He nodded and leaned down slightly as he spoke to me. Being far taller than I was he had started lowering his head when he spoke to even out the height difference.

‘Purpose, it’s a nice thing isn’t it?’

‘Yeah, purpose…..is good.’ I blinked and looked at the shrine as I my lips. I was enjoying today, I always figured that Chanyeol was a social person but I never thought I would be comfortable with him after a couple of hours. I was only able to relax that easily with a small amount of people. I even knew my friend for a year before we became comfortable with each other.

‘What?’ He asked and he looked over at me when I remained silent.

‘Well, ugh, nevermind.’ I watched as he frowned and his eyebrows furrowed together.

‘You can’t just say nevermind. Say what you were thinking, I want to know.’ I groaned and frowned. He just wouldn’t give up would he? Him and my brother seemed to have that in common. Though my brother wanted me to say what I thought because he had some delusion that I was hiding a brilliant thought. I think Chanyeol’s just naturally curious and want to know, after all he barely even knows me.

‘But I said nevermind.’ He let out a short laugh and smiled.

‘So? Do you blame me for wanting to hear what you want to say?’

‘Well,’ I looked out at the temple, watching the students milling around before I rested my palms on the stone bench we were sitting on. ‘I don’t know, I was just going to say that this is less nerve wracking than I thought it would be. I’m not good with people I don’t know, I get really nervous and say stupid things.’

‘But Jaehwa-shii,’ he blinked at me looking innocent. ‘You always say stupid things.’ I gasped and laughed before I shook my head.

‘I can’t believe you,’ I stuck my tongue out at him causing him to grin.

‘I thought you were fine actually, you didn’t come off as nervous.’ He opened his mouth to say something before shaking his head and smiling.

‘What? Tell me what you want to say, I want to know.’ I mimicked him and he just quirked an eyebrow before breaking into a grin.

‘I forgot what I was going to say,’ he responded, I snorted then let out a little cough pretending I didn’t just snort.

‘Sure, sure,’ I waved my hand at him. ‘I’ll let you off this time.’

‘Yah! Jaehwa!’ I looked up to see Chen run up, Lay was waiting for him in the background. ‘We need to get to the bus, we are heading to the local mall for lunch.’

‘Ah, okay.’ I nodded, he grinned and made a heart symbol with his hands before winking and running off. I sighed in relief that Chanyeol hadn’t noticed Chen’s shenanigans before we started walking back to the bus. Chen and his ridiculous shipping...

‘You shouldn’t sigh so much,’ I looked at Chanyeol and he was looking at the sky before he glanced at me. ‘Every time you sigh out loud you lose some happiness.’

‘It’s a habit, just because I sigh doesn’t mean I’m upset.’ I responded. ‘I sigh when I’m happy, relieved, upset, tired, bored, angry, it’s just something I do. So don’t worry I don’t think I’m losing happiness.’ I smiled at him and he smiled back. We finished our walk to the bus in silence. We occasionally bumped arms as we went. Chanyeol was always walking into the person he was walking with it seemed. I never noticed it before but after it happened a few times I had a faint recollection of the video we made. He bumped shoulders with Kai a lot because he was walking beside him. I didn’t mind, I had a terrible habit of doing the same so if anything it just resulted in more bumps. I hopped into the bus and made my way to our seat. ‘We’re meeting with Group B at the mall, right?’ I questioned and Lay nodded.

‘You guys should sit with us at lunch.’ Sehun spoke up and I blinked in surprise.

‘Really?’ I asked bewildered and Chanyeol laughed in response.

‘Of course, Sehun wouldn’t invite you if he didn’t want you guys to join us.’ Chanyeol responded and he shook his head. ‘You really are socially awkward,’ he smiled innocently and I smacked his shoulder.

‘Jerk,’ I huffed and he just laughed. I looked up to see Lay frowning, I frowned back at him and he shook his head then smiled before turning back to Chen. ‘I’m so hungry,’ I leaned my head against the window of the bus and put my hand to my stomach as I moaned.

‘We’re almost at the mall Jaehwa-shii, you can last, fighting.’ Chanyeol pumped his fist looking sincere, his english however was adorable. He had a thick korean accent that deemed the word almost unrecognizable. I giggled and put my hand to my mouth to try and not laugh. He looked confused and I started laughing louder.

‘Sorry, it’s just,’ I bit my lip. That was freaking adorable.

‘What?’ Chanyeol frowned and he looked completely bewildered.

‘Don’t worry hyung, you’re just embarrassing yourself, as usual.’ Sehun mocked and Chanyeol narrowed his eyes at him. Sehun just smirked and stuck his tongue out as D.O started glaring at Chanyeol, challenging him to hit Sehun.

‘Calm down,’ I said between my laughter and he pouted and crossed his arms.

‘I am calm,’ he muttered and I shook my head.

‘Sure, sure,’ I looked outside and stared in awe at the mall we were approaching. ‘Woah, it’s huge!’

‘Are there no big malls in Canada?’ Chanyeol asked as he looked out the window.

‘Well yes, but ours aren’t that tall! Metro is a pretty decent mall, it’s more wide than tall though.’ I blinked as I bit my lip. Tall buildings intimidate me, I always feel like they are going to fall and crush me.

‘You’ll be fine,’ Chanyeol said and I blinked and stared at him.

‘What? Are you a mind reader or something?’ I questioned and he laughed and shook his head.

‘No, I’m just at picking up stuff like that.’ He smiled before bouncing up and heading off the bus. Eh? I watched him go with a frown. Is he even human? How can he just know what I’m thinking like that! The sister excuse just doesn't account for everything.

‘He’s smarter than people think.’ I got jolted out of my thoughts by D.O who was waiting for me to go first like the gentleman he is.

‘Does everyone have the capability to know what I’m thinking!’ I exclaimed and I frowned as D.O smiled back.

‘You just show your emotions on your sleeve,’ he responded before waving to the aisle. ‘Ladies first.’

‘Thank you Kyungsoo-shii.’ I smiled at him before walking out of the bus. ‘Am I really that readable?’ I asked walking with him to the food court. I was lost in the mall so I kept close to him, he seemed to know exactly where to go.

‘Yes, Kai’s like that too. Did you like the temple?’ He asked turning his wide open eyes to look and me and I nodded smiling.

‘Yeah, it was really cool. I was very surprised with how much Chanyeol knew though, he doesn’t seem, that intelligent. No offense,’ I said quickly after and he smiled.

‘Why would that offend me? I’m not Chanyeol. Like I said,’ he walked into the food court and didn’t stop walking somehow already identifying where the rest of EXO-K was. ‘He’s smarter than people think.’ He smiled as Kai walked up to him and slung his arm around his shoulder.

‘Hello Jaehwa-shii,’ Kai greeted with a smile and I smiled back before he turned attention to D.O. I walked away from them feeling like I was invading their personal time. I looked around to find the rest of the group. Lay and Chen were engaged in a conversation with Suho and Sehun, which I didn’t want to interrupt. It looked much more private than D.O and Kai.

‘Jaehwa!’ I blinked at Sooyun who was waving happily beside Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

‘Eonni!’ I smiled and walked up to her and hugged her. ‘How was the temple?’ I questioned immediately and she sighed before pouting.   

‘It was boring. There was nothing to do.’ I gaped at her feeling offended for the temple’s sake. History and it’s companions were some of the things I loved the most. ‘What about you?’ She questioned and I smiled.

‘Unlike you it was wonderful! It was so gorgeous! I couldn’t believe my eyes, I absolutely adored it.’ My views disagreed with hers immensely but she smiled and nodded. We could both respect each others likes and dislikes, something I always enjoyed about our relationship.

‘You’re forgetting something,’ Chanyeol interrupted as he joined our conversation. I raised an eyebrow at him before he smirked. ‘There was an extremely attractive guy there too, that really smart one who showed you around and told you the history.’

‘What? There was a really attractive guy! I don’t remember that!’ I tsked and shook my head. ‘I can’t believe I missed him,’ Chanyeol’s face fell as Baekhyun burst out into laughter.

‘I like her,’ Baekhyun grinned at me and I smiled back feeling my cheeks go red.

‘Bacon~’ Chanyeol moaned as he rested his head on Baekhyun’s shoulder.

‘Yah! Don’t call me Bacon!’ Baekhyun snapped as he pushed Chanyeol away from him then smacked him. Sooyun and I exchanged amused smiles before we laughed at the scene and the rejected looking Chanyeol. I opened my phone and glanced at it for the time before noticing a text. I opened it and looked at it before looking at Sooyun who smiled back.

From: Eonni!!!

Please log in to read the full chapter