Manipulation

Peter and his Reluctant Wendy
Please log in to read the full chapter

 ‘Jaida, where are you wanting to sleep tonight?’ I ran my hand through my hair as I stared at my old room, my posters were still hanging on my wall and my books were all there. I didn’t bring any of my posters with me to Korea, and I only brought a few of my books, I didn’t have space for everything I wanted. I was going to switch out some of my books in my shelf for the ones in my bag before I left. ‘Jaida?’ Looking up from the B.A.P poster staring back at me, I looked at my mom who was standing in the doorway.

 ‘I don’t know, where do you want me to sleep?’ I followed her to her room and jumped onto her king sized bed, hugging one of the pillows to my chest as I watched her pull back the sheets and slip into the bed, pulling the sheets up to her chin before moving to her side to look at me.

 ‘Wherever you want, Jaida,’ her lips were pulled into a smile as she sighed softly. Closing my eyes I dropped my head onto the pillow under me and smiled, it was nice being home. I could hear my mum shuffling and I already knew what she was doing, grabbing her phone. Something I had missed was talking to my mum, most nights I would lie on her bed and talk to her (usually as she was texting a friend). But she always listened to what I said and would say what she thought while still accepted my need to just talk.

 ‘Mum, did dad tell you what he said?’ Opening my eyes I bit my lip, playing with the corner of the pillow.

 ‘No,’ she put down her phone giving her attention to me.

 ‘He said he wanted me to come home, like not be in Korea at all anymore,’ she sighed heavily and closed her eyes, collecting her words carefully.

 ‘You know how your father is, he’s always worried about you.’

 ‘Do you want me to be home?’

 ‘You know that I don’t like being alone but you also know that it’s worth it for you to have this opportunity,’ she smiled and softly rubbed my hand comfortingly. ‘Your brother is thinking of moving in.’

 ‘Finally, I mean I know he’s twenty four but I mean, every time I see his bank account he only has like two bucks,’ I snorted and rolled my eyes. I wasn’t even joking every time I saw his bank account it ranged from zilch to 3 bucks. ‘I don’t want to come home mum, not yet, I just, I don’t know what I’m going to do for graduation. I want you to be there but it’d be nice to graduate in Korea.’

 ‘We’ve got a whole school year to figure it out, do you know what my mother always used to say?’ I smiled and pressed my lips together keeping in a laugh, just hearing my mother was relaxing, I could feel stress leaking off of me.

 ‘What?’ I knew full well what her mother would say but I always enjoyed hearing my mums input and was more than happy with her saying it.

 ‘Don’t worry yourself on tomorrow's troubles, you need to learn to stay calm, you always stress yourself out on things that you don’t have to worry about.’

 ‘Yeah, I do,’ sighing I buried my face in the pillow breathing in the fresh scent of vanilla that mum liked. Breathing out I lifted my head and smiled, ‘I’m going back to Korea.’

 She chuckled and nodded, ‘I know.’

 ‘Yeah, I know,’ I hugged the pillow closer to me and bit my lip. I miss Chanyeol, he was nice to talk to as well. I froze and bit my lip lifting the pillow so it covered my face.

 ‘What?’ I heard the amused tone of her voice as a mutely laughed.

 ‘What?’ Dropping the pillow I laughed out loud and shook my head. After a moment of silence I groaned and my lips, ‘I can’t believe this.’ I looked at my mum, her murky blue eyes stared back, urging me to continue talking. ‘I miss someone, Chanyeol. That guy, I do miss him.’ My mum was the one I told whenever I was confused. And I was confused. I missed all my regular friends, well I still wasn’t used to being around Luhan and Tao yet so I didn’t really miss them. It still felt dream like, the fact that they were in Korea. But why Chanyeol? I mean, I get it he’s attractive, yeah, but I don’t love him. I mean he’s overly loud (though I can be to) but he’s just not my type.

 ‘You don’t have to like someone to miss them.’ She spoke up, she couldn’t read my thoughts like Chanyeol could, but she could tell what I was conflicted with, which Chanyeol couldn’t do.

 ‘Do I have to like them to compare them to everyone?’ I heard my mum chuckle before I saw the smile on her face.

 ‘No, but that is something people usually do. Why, do you think you like him?’

 ‘No, but everyone thinks I do, well not everyone Sooyun thinks I’m going to end up with Myungsoo, well not really. I know none of them actually really think anything of Chanyeol and I, but there is still that weirdness, you know? I mean we were hanging out once and he said that he was supposed to buy stuff for me because it was a date and if his idea of a date is writing stuff down in a journal about things we hate then going home then I don’t want to see his version of wooing.’

 ‘Maybe he likes you,’ I raised an eyebrow before shaking my head.

 ‘No he makes jokes all the time he was joking about it being a date, anyways it’s only a date if we are in a relationship that involves the titles boyfriend and girlfriend, neither of us have those titles so it wasn’t one.’ She sighed and shook her head mimicking me on purpose.

 ‘You know as well as I do that every joke has an ounce of truth, would he make that joke if he didn’t like you?’

 ‘Perhaps,’ I closed my eyes and sighed. Honestly I don’t think he likes me at all, after all he did decide I was going to be his pet project. ‘He’s caught me at all my worst moments. I mean I had a breakdown in a cafe mum! A cafe! I mean, who knows who saw me, I pretty much broke a ruler! And I cried in front of him, and he hugged me and I couldn’t and it was like so awkward! I just can’t! He did the textbook comforting techniques and I didn’t react properly.’

 ‘Jaida, you’re getting worked up,’ I breathed deeply and nodded watching as her eyes drifted closed, her words slurring together.

 ‘Yeah I guess I am,’ I smiled and leaned against the pillow watching as she shook her head  before smiling sheepishly.

 ‘Sorry.’

 ‘It’s okay, you already took your sleeping pill?’ She nodded before her eyes started drifting closed again.

 ‘I’m going to go to my room and sleep okay?’ I pushed myself up and lightly hugged her before walking to the door, turning off the bedroom light and smiling at her. ‘Good night mum, I love you.’

 I could faintly make out her mumbled ‘I love you,’ before I shut the door and walked into my room. I really missed my mum and the ability to just talk to her was really nice. I collapsed onto my bed, stretching out like a star fish. Dad wanted to hang out with me tomorrow that means pho and a long walk where he will want me to spill my guts out to him. Honestly, he was the one I avoided the most in the emotional department, but he had gotten better. Pulling the covers over me I gripped the black flip switch of my light before smiling at it. It was an old plastic purple butterfly my mum had bought me. I still remember the day I got it. As a kid I always wanted a bunk bed so one day when my mum took us out my dad stayed home and he built one that went just below my window. When I had walked into my room I had gone crazy over it then I realised that I had a new nightlight on top of the shelf he had put on the headboard. I was going to take it with me to Korea but I forgot, I the switch before switching it off, sending the room into darkness. I would have to remember to bring it with me.

 

 I jumped up hearing a loud blaring fill the room, I started flinging my pillows around before seeing my tablet lying on the bed, screen lit up. Frowning I dropped onto my stomach and unlocked my tablet looking at the notification. It was for skype, someone had added me as a friend.

From YeolVirus

Hey! Kris gave me your skype name!

 I sighed heavily and tapped the tablet against my forehead, ‘what the heck Chanyeol, I was sleeping.’ Tsking I accepted his request, only to see my screen light up with a video call, I accepted the voice call but kept my video off. ‘Chanyeol it is 4 in the morning, I was sleeping.’

 ‘Oh, sorry!’ I smiled hearing the sincere apologetic tone he spoke with. ‘I forgot about the time difference.’

 I grunted before yawning, ‘I don’t mind, I’m up anyways,’ I laid my head back down on the pillow, putting the tablet down beside my head.

 ‘Hah, okay, so how’s America?’

 ‘Chanyeol,’ I sighed and pulled my blankets up to my chin smiling at the soft pillow like blankets brushing my cheek. ‘I may live in North America, but I am not American, I’m a Canadian you know bears, trees and ice, maple syrup, and poutine.’

 ‘I know, I just wanted to make sure you remembered.’ I blinked and looked at the side of my tablet incredulously before snorting.

 ‘Alright, I’m hanging up now,’ I watched as his video flashed on revealing him frowning.

 ‘What! No! Look, I’m bored okay? Please talk to me? Everyone’s doing their own stuff tonight, please stay on,’ he whined, pouting before clasping his hands in front of him.

 ‘Alright, I guess, I don’t know what you want me to say though.’

 ‘How about I talk?’ I my lips before biting my lip lightly.

 ‘Ah, alright,’ I closed my eyes and waited for him.

 ‘Baekhyun was shocked to hear you had left, Kris told him when we met him and Chen for breakfast. We actually got kicked out for being too loud, Kris wasn’t happy,’ I laughed and shook my head, Kris wouldn’t have been. ‘He demanded Kris send you a long lecture, I don’t think he did though.’

 ‘He didn’t he just texted my brother telling him to tell me that Baekhyun missed me.’ Chanyeol laughed, before tsking, I could almost picture him tilting his head.

 ‘The song we’re making, we wrote some lyrics for it, Chen said he got some ideas from you.’

 ‘Me? Yeah that’s a problem, I’m not musically inclined. I mean if music’s not playing then I can’t remember the pitch or words of a song.’

 ‘Most people are like that,’ I listened to his breathing before he started talking again. ‘It was a very beautiful day today in Korea, it started out good, it was sunny. The forecast was supposed to be heaving raining.’ I heard rustling before hearing a bang then a groan, ‘ow.’

 ‘What did you do?’ I looked at the screen only to see it was black.

 ‘I accidently kicked my bed,’ he grunted before clearing his throat, ‘I’m okay though, thanks for asking.’

 ‘You’re welcome.’

 ‘So,’ I opened my eyes pressing my lips together hearing his voice drop, sounding husky. ‘The guys and I are getting together tomorrow to look at what we have for the song, practice some more. I think Sooyun and her family are going to the country to see her grandparents.’

 ‘Y

Please log in to read the full chapter