The Rules

Peter and his Reluctant Wendy
Please log in to read the full chapter

As soon as the bell went Sooyun and Tao practically leapt out of their seats and ran out of the class. I snorted and smiled as I nodded to Teacher Choi, he smirked back before he leaned against his desk waiting patiently. Since we had him two classes in a row he let us go to the washroom during the time the teachers were supposed to move around and Sooyun always took advantage of that, apparently she was taking Tao with her. Shaking my head I took out my phone checking to see if there were any new messages, strangely there were none. Usually Chen would have messaged me by now to complain about his Math class.

 

 ‘Jaehwa!’ I jolted as Chanyeol dropped into Sooyun’s evacuated seat, the one right beside me. I breathed out before biting my lip.

 ‘Chanyeol,’ I greeted speaking quietly I glanced over at Luhan who was looking at the door worried. ‘No need to be so worried, Teacher Choi’s cool. He’s just a little strict,’ I shrugged as Luhan shook his head.

‘A little?’ Luhan hissed lowering his voice so Teacher Choi wouldn’t hear. ‘He’s crazy, I mean I felt the temperature drop when he walked in! And, that look he gave Tao?’ He shuddered as he looked at the front of the room, paranoid that Choi would hear him.

 ‘If there is one thing Teacher Choi hates, it’s people talking like they are asking questions.’ Chanyeol pointed at Luhan with a serious face. ‘No matter what you do, do not talk like that.’

‘Seriously though, he’s cool,’ I grinned as I bit my lip. ‘You know that know show I’m, watching? He’s the one that suggested it, it’s really good too.’

‘He suggested shows to you as well?’ Chanyeol asked as he started tapping the desk lightly.

‘Yeah,’ I nodded and Chanyeol nodded slowly before Teacher Choi cleared his throat as Sooyun and Tao walked in meekly.

 ‘Get to your desks, I’m putting your notes up.’

 ‘What are you doing in my desk?’ Sooyun frowned at Chanyeol who started to get up. ‘No, don’t get up, I’ll go and sit with Baekhyun. She smiled at him and grabbed her books before running to the back of the room.

 ‘But I don’t have my books….’ Chanyeol went to stand up and get his books but sat back down as soon as Teacher Choi looked at him.

 ‘Remember that this time is meant to be used in silence. The only sound I should hear is your pencils leaving the remains of graphite on your page.’ He pressed his remote so the projector showing our classes chemistry notes. ‘Go.’

‘Jaehwa,’ I looked up and frowned at Chanyeol who was trying to get my attention. I said nothing and only frowned at him, we were in the front of the class, the last thing I wanted to do was get in trouble with our teacher. I shook my head and went back to my work, ‘Jaehwa!’ I sighed heavily before frowning at him.

‘What?’ I mouthed, he waved his empty hands.

‘I have no pencil, can I borrow yours?’ He whispered, I heaved another sigh as I reached into my bag and dropped an extra pencil onto his desk. I raised an eyebrow before I made a shooing motion with my hand and went back to writing. ‘Thanks,’ I hummed in acknowledgement and continued writing. There was silence for a couple of seconds before Chanyeol started whispering again, ‘Jaehwa.’ I pursed my lips and glared at him.

‘What,’ I mouthed again and he pointed to his empty desk.

‘I have no paper,’ I scoffed and grabbed an extra before giving it to him. I went back to writing, with a scowl, I swear if he interrupts me one more time. ‘Jaehwa.’ I clenched my fists and narrowed my eyes at him.

‘What,’ I growled out, he just smiled in response.

‘I need an eraser,’ he laughed as I groaned and let my head fall on the table. I slowly picked up my eraser and dropped it on his table as I resisted the urge to stick my tongue out at him. ‘You can relax around me you know,’ he whispered as he shot me grin before he resumed taking his notes. There he goes again somehow knowing what I’m feeling.

‘Do you two have something you want to say to the class?’ I looked up only to meet Teacher Choi’s unamused look.

‘No, sir,’ I shook my head as I felt my cheeks go red. This was exactly what I didn’t want to happen.

‘Good, I wouldn’t want my two favourite students to be ignoring my rules.’ I choked on air as Chanyeol started laughing. ‘I understand friends feel the need to talk but if you disrupt the peace again you will both get detention.’

‘We’re not friends,’ I muttered as I stared at my paper. I glanced at Chanyeol and frowned, he was staring at his paper with a clenched jaw. He met my gaze and shook his head before staring at the front with a blank expression. I breathed out slowly as I looked to the front of the room as well. He wasn’t hurt by what I said, no, he just, hasn’t realised ….I shook my head and looked down at my paper, he hasn’t realised he doesn’t want to be my friend yet. I’ll give him another week then he’ll leave me alone and it’ll all go back to normal.


 

At the end of class I collected my books and glanced at Chanyeol, he was still silent, he didn’t say a thing. He only grabbed his stuff and walked out of the room. ‘What did you do to piss him off?’ Luhan spoke up from behind me and I rolled my eyes.

‘I didn’t piss him off, he’s just understanding the situation.’ I fixed my straps and bit my lip.

‘What situation,’ Luhan frowned before he scoffed. ‘Don’t tell me this is another one of your stupid rules of life.’

‘One, my rules are not stupid, and two so what if it is! I make rules because they hold true to what I know!’

‘Your rules are ridiculous! They make no sense!’ Luhan exclaimed as we followed Tao and Kris out of the room.

‘I think some of them make total sense,’ Kris added his view as I nodded.

‘As you should,’ I sat down as we found our usual table in the caf. Kris sat down beside me as Luhan took his seat across from us.

‘What are we talking about?’ Sooyun asked as she sat down beside Luhan.

‘Jaehwa’s ridiculous rules,’ Luhan shook his head before he pulled out his lunch.

‘Don’t even get me started,’ Sooyun rolled her eyes as she pulled out her lunch as well. ‘We had a conversation about it yesterday.’

‘Wait,’ Kris raised his hand as he turned his head to look at me. ‘Why exactly can’t you be friends with Chanyeol?’ Xiumin walked up joining our group, taking a seat beside me.

‘The trip rule,’ I answered as Xiumin handed me a lunch, luckily for me he had brought one for me today. Tomorrow I would be bringing one for him.

‘Oh, alright,’ Kris nodded as he pulled out a sandwich.

‘What do you mean alright!’ Sooyun exclaimed as she stared at him making a perfect o.

‘Well it’s been true for me that the friends I make on trips never end up staying friends for long.’ Kris shrugged and I nodded.

‘See?’ I ate some of the pork and smiled. ‘This is delicious!’

‘You guys!’ Luhan looked agast as Kris and I started eating normally.

‘What?’ I frowned as I looked up from my lunch.

‘They’re trying to say that isn’t normal,’ Xiumin answered before he took a bit of his own pork. He swallowed his food before he continued talking. ‘Most people encourage friendships and well for one, don’t make rules about how life happens. Besides Chanyeol seems like a genuine guy, if he wants to be friends it’s because he enjoys your company. I don’t think he goes with that rule.’

‘Well I’m fine with them not being friends,’ Kris shrugged and ate some of his sandwich. ‘I mean Chanyeol seems like a nice guy but I promised Jacob that Jae would not be date anyone. And if she does like him that means I’m obligated to keep them apart.’ I scowled and bumped my shoulder with his.

‘Don’t listen to that giant, freaking overprotective brother.’ I frowned as Sooyun started giggling. Jacob was, well is an amazing brother, but he has this thing where he’s already decided who I’m going to marry.

‘So you like Chanyeol?’

‘What?’ I blinked and chewed slowly.

‘He said that you can’t be friends with him if you feel attracted to him.’

‘And you never denied liking him,’ Luhan finished with a smirk before he waved to someone passing by. And of course he made friends quickly cause he’s a freaking extrovert.

‘I-that’s not fair! I didn’t deny anything because I didn’t think I had to!’ I puffed my cheeks out in annoyance. ‘Where is everyone anyways?’ I questioned as I tried to get the attention off of me.

‘Lay and Chen are teaching Tao that dance,’ Kris shrugged before finishing his sandwich.

‘The preschool thing?’ I raised an eyebrow and Kris nodded.

‘You mean operation MAMA?’ Xiumin furrowed his eyebrows. Kris and I nodded resulting in Xiumin laughing. ‘Mama means your highness or your majesty.’

‘Oh,’ I went red and nodded as Kris grunted. ‘I guess it isn’t a preschool thing then,’ I murmured.

‘No, it’s more of a royal court,’ Xiumin grinned as he faked a princely pose.

‘I would think you would be my court jester, not a prince.’ Luhan spoke up with a smirk as he pretended his chopsticks were his royal scepter.

‘And you think you would be the king?’ Sooyun rolled her eyes before flipping her hair. ‘Obviously I would be the Queen and my King would be Baekhyun.’

‘Then what would that make me!’ I exclaimed with a frown.

‘You would be the royal advisor of course, I can trust your wisdom.’ I nodded and finished my lunch.

‘I can go for that, I don’t need to be royalty, they are always the ones targeted anyways.’  

‘This is ridiculous, we all know that I would be the King,’ Kris rolled his eyes then smirked and fixed his hair. I shook my head and looked around the caf, I frowned as I saw Chanyeol walking with Sehun. Chanyeol still seemed upset, his shoulders were curled in and he seemed to be walking slowly, not a bit of happiness in his form. Sehun was talking to Chanyeol who seemed to not hear anything he was saying. I froze as Chanyeol looked up and met my eyes, he gave a small smile before he looked at Seh

Please log in to read the full chapter