Newlyborn Brotherhood And A New Mission

Doppelgänger

Siwon and Donghae, two people unrelated in any way.  At first, they were strangers to each other with only one thing to connect them: both had felt the rigors of life. They had no family members left to took care of them. Different backgrounds, same destiny. When the two met, there were no warnings, no signs, no intentions from both sides to meet. Siwon was the one who made this fateful encounter happen.

 

"Help! Help! Somebody help me!" the little Donghae screamed as he almost drowned in the river. On the riverbank, a group of delinquent boys laughed hard, taunting him instead of helping him. They were the reason that Donghae was in the river in the first place as they had pushed him in while bullying him. They didn't do it on purpose, but they surely didn't seem as if they regretted their action.

 

"Seung Lee, don't you think we did enough? He could die there," asked one of the boys to his leader, not out of pity, out of fear that he might be responsible for killing someone. He didn't want to live with the guilt.

 

"Hah! Like I care! If you want to help him, do as you wish, but if you so much as dip your toe into that river.. well, let's just say the you right now will no longer exist. We'll treat you as badly as we did to that weakling who screams for help there. Or worse," he threatened, eyes flashing dangerously. The boy who requested backed down, fearing the bigger boy more than his fear of guilt. He had no courage to stand up against him and he wouldn't be able to survive being beaten up by them. They were the most powerful gang of their age at that place and time. Anyone who defied them will be punched and kicked brutally, most victims ended up in the hospital ward. 

 

"Help! Gulp! He--" he gurgled. The sound of splashing water muffled his small cries. The strong current submerged him until his head was no longer visible. Water entered his nostrils and in his panic he choked on it instead. His eyes burned as he tried to open it underwater yet he couldn't see a thing in the murky depths. Donghae gave up and stopped struggling, thinking that death would be the better option. At least his torment would end. Suddenly, a shadowy figured jumped recklessly into the river, helping the little Donghae who was in trouble. He dragged the injured, half-conscious boy to land and resuscitated him, saving his life. The group were stunned silent as they watched. 

 

"Fuh, I made it. Thank god you're alive." Donghae's lifesaver said, Donghae's sight was still not clear enough to see who he was, but he could hear the words. He was about to say thank you but then, Donghae fainted in exhaustion.

 

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Siwon the false hero. What? You think we'd let you go after you messed with our toy? Well you woke up the wrong beast, my friend," Seung Lee smirked. "Boys, finish him up will you?" he ordered his minions. They went into their fighting stance and moved fast, surronding Siwon in a circle. The odds against him weren't good. He was miserably outnumbered. He took a deep breath and got into his own fighting stance. Here we go, he thought.

 

Siwon dodged their punches well at first, but he couldn't keep up the pace with so many fists aimed at him. After one of the boys succeeded in hitting him, the others followed up, landing punches and kicks all over his body. Siwon crouched on the ground as the attacks came, clenching his teeth so no sound will come out of his mouth. If he couldn't win, then at least he would lose with his honour intact. His eyes squinted, searching for Seung Lee. When he spotted Seung Lee, starring arrogantly at him, his anger boiled in his veins. Unfortunately, Seung Lee chose the wrong words, triggering Siwon's other personality to take over. 

"Fool, if you didn't save that weakling, you wouldn't end up like this. Why don't you shout your mother's name now so that lame mother of yours can save the day?" 

After hearing him mock his mother, Siwon's eyes sharpened, his monstrous side aroused. He stood up shakily, grinning at Seung Lee as blood trickled from the cuts and gashes all over his body. Droplets of blood slid down his face from his forehead, adding effect to the crazed expression on his heavily bruised face. None of the boys could believe what they saw. The sight was so horrible, that they took a step back from him in fear. Seung Lee blinked several times. Siwon was in no state to fight, but here he was, standing upright with murderous intent in his eyes. Siwon approached Seung Lee. Step. Step. Step. Slowly, he reached him, disregarding Seung Lee's minions as he elbowed one by one so hard they flew backwards. "Stop him, someone! Stop him! I order you!" Seung Lee said frantically. Yet nobody could, no matter how much energy they put. Seung Lee backed away from Siwon, but unfortunately stumbled over a rock and fell down. He inched backwards, cowering in terror. His whole body trembled as he saw the figure in front of him move closer and closer, but he kept a fake grimace, trying in vain to intimidate him. 

"How does it feel, to hurt?" Siwon asked, as he grabbed Seung Lee by the collar and managed to lift him up with one hand. It seemed an almost impossible feat for a kid with the same height and weight as his opponent. He tightened his grip, effectively blocking all airflow from entering his throat. Seung Lee let out a strangled sob causing Siwon to laugh maliciously. "How does it feel, to be weak?" Siwon said, a mirthless smile on his handsome face. He had no mercy for the bully.

"Come on, where's your laugh, jerk? Where did that proud and arrogant face go? You said something unclear back then, and I felt something unpleasant in my ears, can you repeat again? I'm dying to hear it." Siwon said, loosening his chokehold slightly.

"I...said..your mother..is lame.." Seung Lee croaked out, challenging. Siwon's face tensed again, furrowing his eyebrows.

 

"Wrong answer." Siwon finished with a cruel smirk, then he threw Seung Lee into the river, just like the group did to Donghae. Seung Lee couldn't do anything about his situation, he had no more subordinates  left to help him. He had dangerously played with fire, now he got burned as a result.  Siwon returned back to his other self and fell to the grassy banks, knocked out unconscious. The evil within him slept inside once again...  

 

And that was the memorable first meeting between Choi Siwon and Lee Donghae, as well as the first time Siwon's malevolent other self ignited within him. An unlikely bond formed between the two, and together, they passed their days, working with each other to survive the harshness of the world. Most of their memories weren't good, but that didn't mean they only shared the bad times. Yet after many wicked events in their past that made the two always feel unwanted by the world, they were blamed wherever they go. Never had they encountered any type of kindness, until they were recruited by a mysterious hooded figure into an evil organization, a large-scale South Korean mafia group that collected people like them who felt their existence were unwanted. The sub-group is called "Crystal Beast", their divisions named after gemstones. The two boys readily accepted, deciding that perhaps, they have found the place where they belonged.

 

"Donghae-oppa, are you okay?" Jessica, the leader of the Amethyst division said, with concern for her oppa's condition. Donghae had his eyes closed, and the vein in his temples pulsed with concentration. Jessica was the type to be phlegmatic to any other people who tried to get close to her, especially Heechul, the leader of Cobalt division, who disgusted her with his flashy demeanour. On the contrary, Donghae attracted Jessica's attention because he was quiet and thoughtful. He was only one who tried to understand her without ulterior motives and always she said, he was the one person who could possibly keep her sane. Jessica thought so highly of him that she even awarded him with an "Oppa" at the back of his name when calling him, proof of her adoration and respect for Donghae. 

 

"Ah, Sica." Donghae snapped back. "Yes, I'm fine. Just lost in memory lane, thanks for asking," he kindly responded, still half-dreaming, thinking of his first meeting with his brother. Back then he wasn't as cold as he was now. He already knew what turned him into something inhuman, but he wondered if he could ever return to his orginal self. He almost wanted to laugh, he could hardly remember what his original self was like.

 

Sica blushed upon hearing him call her by his nickname for her, plus his innocent and handsome face, she couldn't control the red from blossoming in her cheeks. Donghae chuckled at her awkwardness, smoothing her hair absent-mindedly. All of a sudden, the very existence that Jessica hated from the bottom of her heart appeared.

 

"Hello my Sicababy~ What are you doing here? Why does your face look so gloomy? I bet you must have missed me the whole time I was away  you've already forgotten what it's like to smile. I figured, though. Don't you worry, babe. Now that I'm here, it'll be sunshines and rainbows every day." Heechul confidently greeted, winking at her and sliding his arms around her shoulder. Jessica's previously sweet demeanour changed, her expression soured. She wore a sullen, unpleasant face, hating him even more for ruining the perfect moment between her and Donghae. 

 

"Eww..get off me, ert. Want to know why my face was gloomy? Well for your information, it was all thanks to you," she answered heartlessly. Donghae stared at Heechul who was saddened after being rejected in such a brutal way by his favorite girl. Heechul glared at him, and if looks could kill, Donghae would be dead by then. He scratched his head, not really knowing what to do in such situations. The thing that bothered him, that he couldn't admit, was that he felt nothing for Jessica. He considered her as a friend, a sister maybe, but certainly not as a lover. The only thing that  Donghae wished for was to escape that wretched moment. He thought of excuses he could say when suddenly, his wish came true. A bulky man approached them and spoke to them.

 

"Leaders, my Lord has summoned all of you to his room. Your presence is expected," he said gruffly but politely, although he was twice as big and even stronger than them, he wouldn't dare go against any one of them. He had no power to do so. These leaders, despite having smaller figures than their henchmen, have various terrifying abilities that made punks and gangsters bow to them. Even to Jessica, who is a woman. 

 

"Oh, duty calls. I guess I better get going first, I'll catch you up later, guys." Donghae instantly stood up, it was a call that he had longed for from the beginning of Jessica and Heechul's spat.  Jessica linked her arm with his without warning, smiling innocently at him.

 

"Let's go there together, shall we, Oppa?" Donghae gulped when Jessica said it, he couldn't refuse her without a proper excuse. Unfortunately, none came to his mind. Donghae turned his head slightly and sighed inwardly as he saw Heechul burning with the fire of jealousy. He sensed his sharp glare pricking the back of his neck, but couldn't think of what to do to make it better. He didn't want to irritate Jessica either. Donghae almost groaned when Jessica rested her head on his shoulder pleasantly. He had a feeling she was doing it on purpose. Heechul followed after them enviously, but there was nothing that he could do about them, other than cursing Donghae softly under his breath.

 

On their way, they crossed with their fellow leaders. Donghae grinned happily when he spotted his brother Siwon and greeted him. Siwon didn't even bother to look at him and continued on his way. Heaving a sigh, Donghae continued to walk, already used to his brother's reaction to him. Despite the fact that he had expected that, he was somehow still sad about it. That's what Siwon always did, neglecting completely anyone around him, even someone who looked up to him wholeheartedly. Jessica noticed the shift in his mood and rubbed Donghae's arm in support. He smiled gratefully at her, but it couldn't erase the hurt that he felt. That was something only Siwon could do. Then Donghae opened the door to his master's royal room, the common room for the meeting between the leaders and their lord.

 

"Siwon, Sungmin, Donghae, Heechul, Kyuhyun, Tiffany, Jessica, I see we've all gathered here. Now that the "Crystal Beasts" are complete, there's something I'd like to tell you. I summoned you all here for a briefing of a very important mission. Please, have a seat," said the suited man at the far end of the table. He spoke in pleasant tones, but the aura he gave out was chilling. Siwon looked at his lord with respect as the leaders of the division took a seat as requested. Donghae was still in an uncomfortable position with no chance of escaping Jessica's grip, so he tried to settle himself in as best as he could with her still dangling on his arms. Heechul continued to glare at him, probably thinking that he actually wanted to replace Donghae at that moment. 

 

"What is thy bidding, my lord?" Siwon asked like a soldier, showing no emotion in his face. Amongst all the other leaders, Siwon was the most loyal servant to his master. Fulfilling his master's every wish was his only purpose in life. It gave him satisfaction without any particular reason, other than it made him happy to make his master happy. He had been given something to live for and that's why he both loved and respected his master so much.

 

"First of all, I would like to congratulate you, the leader of Ruby Divison, Siwon, for successfully assassinating the head of Kwon Company. Your work was remarkable and I will give you rewards on your terrific job," he praised Siwon, the others followed with thunderous clapping.  Donghae smiled as well at his brother's success, but strangely, the only one who wasn't smiling was the receiver of his master's praise. Siwon thought it was a normal thing, he didn't accomplish it in the way that he wanted to. He thought he could do better than this. Siwon didn't order his men to kill him so quickly, he figured that his men probably did whatever they wanted and didn't listen to his orders. He was very displeased with his subordinates so he couldn't enjoy the good praises that he received. Well. Ex-subordinates. 

 

"However, there is one thing I should say I was disappointed of. Amber Division," he said, looking at Tiffany. "You'll be responsible for it as its leader, Tiffany.  Your team managed to recover the precious cargo that we needed, but I got a report that we didn't find what we're looking for within the suitcase, the "thing" was nowhere to be found." he stated with pursed lips to his apprentice. Tiffany's face was stony, acknowledging her fault but showing no remorse. Deep inside, she was even more fired up than before. She disliked failing her master's expectation.

 

"I will do better next time, consider it done, my lord," she said confidently.

 

"You better, because I have no mercy for the weak, my darling," he said, an ominous undertone in his voice. He really hoped she would do better and get the right  target next time, the thing inside the case was of utmost impotance for his organization's future.

 

"Finally, I also received a report from Amber Division that the suitcase was traded deliberately by Kwon, that sly old fox. The one we took was not his, it was her daughter's, her name is Kwon Yuri." Siwon's body tingled when he heard that name, but he shook it out of him, trying to keep his focus. "So, I'll assign a new mission for you. The next and most important step in this mission is kidnapping. Donghae, Sapphire Division Leader, you'll be in charge of this next operation. Your task is simple, kidnap the heiress of Kwon, interrogate her and retrieve the suitcase. Use any means necessary. Is that clear?" he added, a dark glint in his eyes. Donghae released himself from Jessica's hold and stood upright.

 

"It will be done, my lord," Donghae stated. Before he sat back down, he looked right at Siwon. He wanted to do better than his best so he can become a top-class criminal like his brother, then Siwon would recognize the one who adored him most. No. Donghae will not fail his brother, that's what he thought.

 

Author's Note 

 

Okay, I suppose things have been confusing in this story lately, yeah, I owe my readers an explanation. Mainly, I would like to explain about the mafia group and about "Crystal Beasts". In the story, this mafia group the greatest crime organization in Seoul because they have lots of connection and members, but the most notable ones are the sub-groups, namely Crystal Beasts. They have seven divisions, with various types of teams in each division, but they all have one leader to guide them, I used Super Junior and SNSD's names to make it more friendly :) Here are the list : 

 

- Ruby Division, Specialized on Assasination and Assaults, Leader : Choi Siwon

- Emerald Division, Specialized on Cyber Crimes, Leader : Lee Sungmin

- Sapphire Division, Specialized on Kidnapping, Leader : Lee Donghae

- Amber Division, Specialized on Thefts, Leader : Tiffany Hwang

- Cobalt Division, Treasurers of the Organization, Leader : Kim Heechul

- Amethyst Division, Intel of the Organization, Leader : Jessica Jung

- Topaz Division, Specialized on White Collar Crimes, Leader : Cho Kyuhyun

 

I guess that's all, thanks for reading, subscribing, and commenting for this story :) They are really appreciated. Gomawo, support my story so I can do better than my best!